Had Cell Pair Test Performed Last Saturday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Had Elk Grove Nissan do my annual battery check and a cell pair test. The regular (worthless) check gave me 5 stars for battery capacity. My voltages are down across the board. Voltages were 3745 to 3759 millivolts at 1 capacity bar and 5 miles range showing. 3745 is at the bottom of the recommended range according to Nissan. The new QC EVSE indicated 19% in the battery at charge start.

Bassman said:
Had Elk Grove Nissan do my annual battery check and a cell pair test. The regular (worthless) check gave me 5 stars for battery capacity. My voltages are down across the board. Voltages were 3745 to 3759 millivolts...

Congrats on 5 stars!!! I think Nissan should bumped that up to 6 stars for 2013 cars :mrgreen:

You're only 14 millivolts apart, so it looks awesome. What is the complaint?

These voltages are a bit low, if 3745 millivolts is the lowest acceptable voltage. I see the voltages on the ELM 327 discussion are in the 4020s, but that may be at higher charge states on the battery. I know that my battery is down about 10 to 12 % from mileage testing to turtle. So 5 stars doesn't mean much.

Bassman said:
These voltages are a bit low, if 3745 millivolts is the lowest acceptable voltage. I see the voltages on the ELM 327 discussion are in the 4020s, but that may be at higher charge states on the battery. I know that my battery is down about 10 to 12 % from mileage testing to turtle. So 5 stars doesn't mean much.

3745 isn't the lowest. I've been well below 3000 before turtle. If you're seeing 4100 level voltages, that's because the battery is fully charged.

Looks very normal.

Bassman said:
This test is properly done at low voltages. It is quite meaningless to do it when the battery is fully charged since the balancing is done there. By testing at a low voltage, you find out if all of the cells in the battery are degrading evenly. Yours looks great!

In fact, your dealer measured it just a little higher than recommended in the service manual. That recommends taking the reading when the lowest cell pair is at 3712 mV or lower. But they are very close, so the result should be fine. (Frankly, they did a much better job than some dealerships which test this fully charged!)

Personally, I'm glad to see that the cells are still this well matched!

Back