Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What "sensor" might that be? The one on the brake pedal assembly?

fudd246 said:
From my discussions with other LEAF owners in the UK, it appears that the regen sensor is known for going faulty with a year or two. I can't say how much weather and SOC has on the sensor being glitchy, but a simple change of the sensor should solve the problem if it's not related to the software update.

TickTock said:
So far all the data I've gathered suggest no correlation between loss of regen and P3227 update. I see the same loss of regen in my log files from last December. Also, this year the loss didn't kick in until over a month after getting the update.

What are your battery temperatures looking like? I'm not sure I would have noticed much of a difference until my battery dipped below 45F. Below 32F? Good luck getting any regen at any SOC. Never saw such discrepancies in my previous two winters with this car.

ampitupco said:
TickTock said:
So far all the data I've gathered suggest no correlation between loss of regen and P3227 update. I see the same loss of regen in my log files from last December. Also, this year the loss didn't kick in until over a month after getting the update.

What are your battery temperatures looking like? I'm not sure I would have noticed much of a difference until my battery dipped below 45F. Below 32F? Good luck getting any regen at any SOC. Never saw such discrepancies in my previous two winters with this car.
That is what's so weird. For me, I definitely see a seasonal correlation but my "cold" is still pretty warm by other owners standards. I consistently see reduced regen below 75F pack temperature! Whereas in other climates, this might actually be an annual high but they still see the reduction in winter. Seems like it is responding to a change in temperature rather than an absolute temperature.

I've seen the same scenario... I'm still not convinced one way or the other if the regen change is due to P3227 or to continued battery degradation, or perhaps a bit of both...

TickTock said:
For me, I definitely see a seasonal correlation but my "cold" is still pretty warm by other owners standards. I consistently see reduced regen below 75F pack temperature! Whereas in other climates, this might actually be an annual high but they still see the reduction in winter. Seems like it is responding to a change in temperature rather than an absolute temperature.

So I read the first few pages of this thread and the last few but was not up to reading 45 pages;)

I have not done the update...

I am leaning towards not doing it. I have seen the possability of less regen but are there any advantages anyone has seen.

I have a Dash Display so I don't care about the factory battery meter being improved...

You didn't say whether you bought or leased, but if you even want to benefit from any kind of battery warranty, you must have the update. It also contains an OBC update that's a good idea.

Stanton said:
You didn't say whether you bought or leased, but if you even want to benefit from any kind of battery warranty, you must have the update. It also contains an OBC update that's a good idea.

I am on a 4 yr lease and am not in a hot climate so I am less concerned about my battery warranty. If the car works better and regens more without the update I may not bother.

I never even look at the OBC, jus the Dash Display

What can we do as Nissan LEAF owners/leasers to inform Nissan that their update screwed up regen especially in cold weather. Could be a mistake by some Nissan coder? We need to take collective actions to make Nissan realize this is a serious mistake and requires a recall update.

Goodtohave said:
Stanton said:

I am on a 4 yr lease and am not in a hot climate so I am less concerned about my battery warranty. If the car works better and regens more without the update I may not bother.

I never even look at the OBC, jus the Dash Display

I've refused it so far, dealer says no problem. Don't want to risk regen, if it is connected.

Part of the update was to make some EVSEs less troublesome, (the Blinks and GE Wattstations I think), but I only charge at home, on ChargePoints, or AVs, (and now some QCs) and have never had trouble with any EVSEs.

TomT said:
Yes, a number have reported the P3227 regen issue to Nissan and they are supposedly looking in to it... I personally have been in contact with a couple of folks at Nissan about this, starting a couple of months ago, and have provided them before and after data...
thew said:
Has anyone else reported it to Nissian...
Tom did anyone at Nissan ever get back to you on this issue ?

Stanton said:
What is your basis for that statement? As I read what Brockman posted it says if you have already lost four bars before the update you are eligible for the replacement. The dealer only needs to confirm that you have lost four bars. Some people have made the contorted argument that the dealer "confirms" that by applying the update and then checking for four bars, but even if that were true (which I doubt seriously) you still wouldn't need to get the update now.

Ray

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Part of the update was to make some EVSEs less troublesome, (the Blinks and GE Wattstations I think), but I only charge at home, on ChargePoints, or AVs, (and now some QCs) and have never had trouble with any EVSEs.
I have not been able to get details on the On Board Charger (OBC) reprogramming.
I was told by a reputable source that there was difference in interpretation of the EVSE standards between Nissan's interpretation, and some of the EVSE manufacturers.
The only EVSE that I have heard about that creates problems for the LEAF OBC is the GE Wattstation. There were several reports on MNL of use of the GE Wattstation resulting in failure of the OBC.
It would be unwise to be using a GE Wattstation without first having the P3227 reprogramming done.
It is highly unlikely that the Blink is a problem because it has been used extensively with the LEAF for nearly three years, without any reports of OBC failure being tied to use of a Blink EVSE.

Had P3227 last Friday along with battery usage check, and saw nothing special afterward.. until today. GOM was acting crazy this morning; 61 miles range when I started; still read 61 miles after I had driven 10 miles.

Fired up LeafSpy after I got to work. Battery was reading right around 50 Ahr before I took it to the dealer, and was not significantly changed when I checked it after the P3227 update. Now, a full week later, it is reading 55 Ahr! I'm surprised that I didn't regain a capacity bar. Guess I'll have to run it down to VLBW and see if BMS retains its new optimism. Amazing what you can do with software; suddenly my Leaf acts like it is a year or more newer!

Haven't really noticed any difference in regeneration available; 100% charging and the cold weather limited regen many months ago. Not much terrain on my commute anyway.

-Karl

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It may take a long time for the battery capacity to settle... It took 3 months and more than 2000 miles for mine.

You may look a my data there:
Battery log: http://goo.gl/EG2UwD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How old is your car? Where are you located? Thanks.
In a couple of weeks you may add your data to Stoaty's thread. "Tuning the Battery Aging Model"

2011 Leaf VIN # 257. Ridgecrest, CA. 26.5K miles on the car. I think Stoaty wants six weeks or so, and I'm beginning to see why. I just thought it odd that I would see almost no effect until after I drove the car three days. I was beginning to wonder if the update had actually been administered.

-Karl

No, of course not! :roll:

KJD said:
TomT said:
Yes, a number have reported the P3227 regen issue to Nissan and they are supposedly looking in to it... I personally have been in contact with a couple of folks at Nissan about this, starting a couple of months ago, and have provided them before and after data...
thew said:
Has anyone else reported it to Nissan...
Tom did anyone at Nissan ever get back to you on this issue ?

kolmstead said:
Had P3227 last Friday along with battery usage check, and saw nothing special afterward.. until today. GOM was acting crazy this morning; 61 miles range when I started; still read 61 miles after I had driven 10 miles.

Fired up LeafSpy after I got to work. Battery was reading right around 50 Ahr before I took it to the dealer, and was not significantly changed when I checked it after the P3227 update. Now, a full week later, it is reading 55 Ahr! I'm surprised that I didn't regain a capacity bar. Guess I'll have to run it down to VLBW and see if BMS retains its new optimism. Amazing what you can do with software; suddenly my Leaf acts like it is a year or more newer!

Haven't really noticed any difference in regeneration available; 100% charging and the cold weather limited regen many months ago. Not much terrain on my commute anyway.

-Karl

Interesting point that you seemed to suffer the same limited regen as us before the update? Can you elaborate more on that if you notice any change? I notice the regen returns to near normal when the pack is above 20c/68f

JeremyW, I'm not sure that I want to stir the pot regarding loss of regeneration. The folks with mountains on their way to work are the experts here. But anyone who owns a Leaf knows (or SHOULD know) that the amount of regeneration available is most strongly influenced by two things... state of charge and pack temperature. Regen is basically zero when the battery is fully charged, and the BMS gradually lights up those little regen circles as the battery is discharged. And temperature has almost as powerful an effect. At three or four bars of battery temperature, you aren't allowed much regeneration, at least until the battery has been discharged quite a bit. Since I've been charging to 100% for almost a year now, and it has been fairly cold for the past couple of months, I've had very limited regeneration available.. even before I had the P3227 update. I did not notice any change in regen this past week, post-P3227, but I only have two or three significant decelerations on my commute.

-Karl

Drove around after work yesterday to explore my new-found battery capacity. It was fun, but strange. GOM stayed above 50 miles of range for an incredible amount of time. GIDs behaved oddly also, with "sticky spots". As noted by others, the LBW and VLBW warnings still occur at 49 and 24 GIDs. I ran it down to 17 GIDs. Total for the day was 61 miles, at about 4.1 mpk. Sure looks like Nissan moved some of the 'hidden' range (from below LBW) back to the visible side.

Here are the numbers:

100 miles (about three days) prior to P3227 (25,900 miles):
49.6 Ahr, 208 GIDs at full charge, Hx 69.75%

Right after P3227:
49.4 Ahr, Hx 69.36

One week after P3227 (yesterday morning):
55.0 Ahr, Hx 68.7%

After yesterday's drive to below VLBW and recharge (26,404 miles):
54.7 Ahr, 230 GIDs at full charge, Hx 68.0%

It would be nice to think that my Leaf is actually going to keep the 10% improvement in capacity, but virtually everyone who has contributed to this thread has reported that the gains vanish in a few weeks. In fact, Ahr and Hx are decreasing already.

I still can't comprehend why it took three days of driving before I saw any change whatsoever. Normal commutes; 38 miles, full recharge every night.

-Karl

Back