Having trouble with my 8936 form for the $7500 tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk1971

So, I'm reviewing my 2015 tax forms after the fact (I know...) and I saw that form 8936 page 2 & 1040 lines 54 & 55 were incorrect resulting in a lower credit than the maximum $7500.

The reason the electric car tax credit was so low was because lines 16 & 17 on page 2 of 8936 should have been blank because the car has 4 wheels. These lines are intended for electric vehicles with less than 4 wheels (ie. motorcycles). This would kick the tax credit up to the maximum of $7,500 if it was correct.

So my person goes into my file to rectify the situation, but says that those numbers are automatic and default values that cannot change on the program. Then she told me that she didn't find the "IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle" in my file. The 8936 form took my VIN number and that's how it knew it's a Leaf, so that's my certification, right? I don't need an actual letter from the dealer for certification, do I?

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

tk

No letter is required from Nissan or dealer as long as the VIN is entered correctly. I just submitted my tax return last month (6 month extension) and TurboTax calculated the credit correctly for my 2015. I had no issue with the credit on the 2011 when I filed in 2012.

Good luck straightening this out.

Gerry

tk,

You need to file an amended return: 1040X claiming the correct credit. You have three years from the due date of the return to do this.

J5P

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get my tax preparer to file an amendment, but she says the computer program keeps defaulting with the same values.

I've asked her to re-enter the VIN. Hopefully I gave her the wrong VIN initially.

Back