Heat while plugged in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it out. The only way I can get heat when plugged in w/out phone is to start the car charging (by hitting timer override button, the car stopped charging at 80% a while ago) put foot on break and push start. Once car is on and charging, select desired temp, fan speed, mode and turn the A/C on. I can only get the heat to come out and the energy monitor to display anything is to have the A/C on. With the temp set to 90* and fan on high, energy shows 3+/-kw and it gets really warm after a bit. The key to heat is to have it charging and A/C on, then it works. I need to find out how to do it at 100% charge now.

Reddy said:
Yes, the A/C light is on but that doesn't matter, you still get heat!!! Perhaps it really runs the AC to dehumidify or perhaps there really is a heat pump AC in there (I don't know or care!).
As we've agreed in a couple of other threads recently, it turns out that A/C does not mean cold. It means "condition the air". Heating or cooling are both conditioning. This may be a language or dialect difference between Japan and the US, but whatever the reason, if you want heat, you have to have the A/C button lit up. With the button lit the car will either heat or cool depending on whether the target temperature is above or below the current cabin temperature. That's true in all scenarios, not just preheating.

Ray

planet4ever said:
... This may be a language or dialect difference between Japan and the US, but whatever the reason, if you want heat, you have to have the A/C button lit up. With the button lit the car will either heat or cool depending on whether the target temperature is above or below the current cabin temperature. That's true in all scenarios, not just preheating.
Definitely not true. I have tried endlessly to use the AC button to prevent the heater from coming on without any success.

JimSouCal said:
ebill3 said:
I am convinced that the only way to get climate control to provide heat (or cool) using shore power is by timer or carwings. To manually turn climate control on you must unplug.
I don't plan on renewing carwings unless it is almost free (iPhone app uses).

I agree that there should be more user centered custom options on the climate control... Although, after much practice, one could get pretty fast at setting a timer to accomplish each time--sorta lame though...

you can also run it off your home or office computer. so no ATT/Verizon bandit charges.

thankyouOB said:
JimSouCal said:
ebill3 said:
I am convinced that the only way to get climate control to provide heat (or cool) using shore power is by timer or carwings. To manually turn climate control on you must unplug.
I don't plan on renewing carwings unless it is almost free (iPhone app uses).
you can also run it off your home or office computer. so no ATT/Verizon bandit charges.
So how do you think your home or office computer is going to talk to the car? If you don't pay for carwings, no one is going to pay the car's ATT cellphone bill.

I'm with Jim. I don't think I'll want to pay for carwings. I just don't get that much out of it, and it sure is clumsy.

Ray

planet4ever said:
So how do you think your home or office computer is going to talk to the car? If you don't pay for carwings, no one is going to pay the car's ATT cellphone bill.

I'm with Jim. I don't think I'll want to pay for carwings. I just don't get that much out of it, and it sure is clumsy.

Ray

The way it is now, I wouldn't pay for it. It does practically nothing critical; it doesn't do what I'd like it to do (e.g. STOP charging; set climate control parameters); and half the time it fails anyway.

I'm hoping this will change in the next 3 years, otherwise I'll be dropping it too.

As for paying the car's cell phone bill, it would be great if I could just add it to my current AT&T plan as an additional line and then take full advantage of the fact that fact and get something useful like a WiFi hotspot in the car (of course AT&T would find some way to justify a $50/month fee for this!)

Thanks for all the replies. Using that information, I have been able to
make it work. Here is what I found, sitting in the Leaf with the EVSE
connected. NONE of this necessarily applies when not plugged in or
if the "green car" light is on.

I spent quite a bit of time rechecking these results and writing them down
as I saw them. I observed the CC energy meter and I could also hear the
water pump run. I gave each setting enough time for the CC meter to respond
as it does seem to lag somewhat, probably due to smoothing.

1. Blackhouse is right, nothing happens unless you are actively charging.
I believe this is because it is the only way to get the SYSTEM MAIN RELAY
1 and 2 to operate. Unless they do, the traction (Li-ION) battery is not
connected to any load. You must do this before turing the Leaf ON.

2. It doesn't matter if you hit the ON button once with the brake depressed, or
twice without. Works either way.

3. Heat will come on in either AUTO or manual mode provided you have the
temp set high enough.

4. The A/C light must be on to get heat (while plugged in only). I have no
idea why. This is not true when I'm driving.

5. The MODE setting or DEFOG makes no difference except that the fan
speeds up in DEFOG.

I just found this in the service manual on page HAC-28. Matches what I
found.

HAC.jpg

On my 2012 model SL, I have access to the climate control functionality while charging but only if I press the AUTO button. Otherwise just the fan works but not heat or AC.
I discovered it by accident. If anyone has any insight into the philosophy of this programmed behavior, please write a response.
- Stephen Taddeo
Hawthorne, CA

staddeo said:
On my 2012 model SL, I have access to the climate control functionality while charging but only if I press the AUTO button. Otherwise just the fan works but not heat or AC.
I discovered it by accident. If anyone has any insight into the philosophy of this programmed behavior, please write a response.
- Stephen Taddeo
Hawthorne, CA

You just had to wait 5 more days to make this a nice even 5 years old thread!

I have a 2013 SL and was also confused as to how to run the heat while plugged in.

When I am plugged in (120 V or 240 V) I could run the air conditioning to cool the cabin manually while sitting inside the car...but when I pressed the "heat" button with the A/C button off I got no warm air!

So it sounds like having the A/C button on is the kicker. I guess it makes sense given the heat pump / compressor must run in order for heat to be generated vs regular ICE vehicles that have waste heat and do not need the A/C button depressed.

Back