Heated Steering Wheel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergrump

Is anyone else unhappy with the way their heated steering wheel functions? Mine gets really warm rapidly then turns off and the heat dissapates. After 10 minutes or so, it heats up again, then cools off.

Steve

[email protected]

You are right about it being a pain. It seems to be on a timer, not a temperture sensor. As soon as mine gets warm I switch it back off. Then when it gets too cold I hit the switch again and repeat. This seems to get around whatever is automatically controlling it.

A while ago, I got a 2012 LEAF as a loaner for 2 weeks. When I used the heated steering wheel for the first time I tought a fuse blew or something broke because it got quite hot very fast and then it took so long to heat up again. It's a pretty lame design.

Electric4Me said:
I would think you could tap into the circuit upstream and put a variable controller in series.
You could. But it would make a lot more sense for Nissan to do it. That way, it would be way cheaper and would be much safer and more reliable.

I too am unhappy with the heated steering wheel performance. I'm going to have a certain Ingineer look at it in a week or two. ;)

I've enjoyed my heated steering wheel. It was a surprise the first time on how warm it got...but used to it now.

Could it improved? Probably. But better than driving with gloves on. ;)

By any chance, Are there any Leaf owners here that have access to an X-ray system? Such as a dentist, Doctor, etc?

It would be nice to get an x-ray of the heated wheel at the bottom so I an determine how the thermostat is configured.

-Phil

I'm disappointed with the heated steering wheel too. It's definitely a nice feature to have in the winter, and there's nothing wrong with it turning off automatically (it can get hot). It's just off for way too long. The steering wheel is ice cold and still won't come back on.

Ingineer said:
By any chance, Are there any Leaf owners here that have access to an X-ray system?

:lol: Sorry, couldn't help but laugh- what's funny is you are totally serious. :lol:

Yes, No joke!

I used to have a friend who was a dentist where I used to live, and not only did we trade services (I did all his technical work, he did my dental), but he had a digital x-ray system that I used on several occasions (like this) to inspect the way something was put together internally.

Very Handy!

-Phil

Back