Heater stopped working on my way to work today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhouse

Something very interesting/confusing happened to me on my way to work today. I started with an 80% charge completed in the middle of the night. I used the Ipad app to start climate control 10 minutes before leaving in the morning. I pulled the plug out which stopped the climate control and hopped in a couple minutes later. It was nice and warm inside. I set climate to 68 and 2 fan bars then I drove to work. I dont usually use the app to start climate and I usually only use climate when I have to for defogging windows or when I'm freezing. As I drove I noticed the heater never pulled any energy according to the energy screen. I found this very surprising since the heater usually draws a good amount of power and the outside temp was 44. I thought the pre-warm must have done a great job and I set the climate to 62 to keep power draw down. 20 minutes later the heater has still not used any power and I'm getting cold. I turn the heat up to 68 for a while but no heat or power used. I turn it to 90 and fan full blast and still no power used and the fan is blowing really cold air. I had climate on the entire time, mostly foot/defog mode because it was raining. The fan kept my windows nice and clear but I couldn't get the heat to turn on. I tried everything to turn it on, hit auto, turned fan up and down, pushed all the buttons but I didn't try turning the cc off. I started to think my heater was broken. I sat in the parking lot trying to get it to draw power but nothing worked. I finally turned the car off and back on. It instantly started to pull power for the heater. Somehow my heater was disabled on my way to work and I got 5.7 m/kwh instead of my usual 4.1 when using cc. All in the rain with the fan running to clear the windows and outside temp at 44. I did accedently push the rear defroster on for a second when I fist got in. I will try and recreate it on my way home. I would love to find a trick to turning off the heater but I'm doubtful. Any ideas?

I tried it again yesterday but the heater came on once the cabin cooled off, but today it happened again. I used the app to pre-warm for 10 minutes, I pulled the plug waited a couple minutes then jumped in and started the car. Heat was already on 68 with two fan bars. I pushed rear defrost and down heat button at the same time (I think that's what I did the first time on accident but didn't do yesterday) then turned the rear defrost off after a few seconds. I drove to work in the snow and outside temp at 32. Again I had the heat set at 68 and two fan bars. On my 30 minute drive the heater never pulled any power and the air kept blowing colder and colder. I tried everything to get the heater to work, hit every button, turned cc on and off and had it at 90 degrees full fan. Nothing worked to turn the heater on. I will keep trying this procedure to see if it tricks the car into disabling the heater, pre-heat remotely then push back defrost and the down heat button at the same time. I will report back.

The heater on my 2012 Leaf stopped working recently. It appears to be drawing power but no warm air comes out of the duct. The Leaf is at the dealership (Sunnyvale Nissan) over the weekend and I am driving an altima courtesy car.

It felt strange to drive a gas-powered car!

Amazing how quicky I got accustomed to the quietness and comfort of the Leaf...

MaxPower said:
The heater on my 2012 Leaf stopped working recently. It appears to be drawing power but no warm air comes out of the duct. The Leaf is at the dealership (Sunnyvale Nissan) over the weekend and I am driving an altima courtesy car.

It felt strange to drive a gas-powered car!

Amazing how quicky I got accustomed to the quietness and comfort of the Leaf...
My heater failed last winter and it (along with the DC/DC converter) were replaced.

There's a related thread here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 2012 LEAF is about 10 days old. Set the temp to 90F, still can't get any warm air to blow at all.
I just resort to using the heated seats and the steering wheel. But still, for a new car, kind of early to be having these kind of problems.

ELROY said:
My 2012 LEAF is about 10 days old. Set the temp to 90F, still can't get any warm air to blow at all.
I just resort to using the heated seats and the steering wheel. But still, for a new car, kind of early to be having these kind of problems.
I would have the dealer look at it. There were quite a few reports of heaters not working in relatively new vehicles lately. Hopefully, you can get another Leaf as a loaner.

ELROY said:

multiple reports of problems with them and seems like only a handful of techs have figured it out. We have guy in Seattle who seems to have figured it out but LEAFer in Oly (55 miles South) who cant get his fixed. tough for him to spend a day to drive up there (with QC at least he can make it back in a decent amount of time!) to get this fixed

ELROY said:
Switch the center screen to the energy display. If the climate control system is pulling power, try waiting a few minutes. If it isn't pulling power, definitely get it to your dealer.

Back