Heating Coil Not Working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not so much that Nissan hasn't "figured it out", it's more about BAD parts: either you have an infant failure or not. I haven't heard of a lot of folks who had the heater break after it initially worked (and I don't mean for a day).

Picked up a 2013 SV on 11/20, on 12/3 the heater coil was needed since temps were well below freezing, and there is no heat. Dealer quoted a minimum of 1.5 weeks to get the PTC and fix. I have a loaner but it is not ideal. I am not so happy that after 1.5 weeks, I will be without for the next 1.5 weeks.

Add me to the list of others with bad heaters, I am skeptical that I will get it back in 1.5 weeks. First quote was "about a week" When I followed up later it was "1.5 weeks minimum"

I leased the 2013 SV near Chicago on 8/31/13. The first time the temperature was below 20 F a few weeks ago, my heat couldn't keep up. It was a short trip, so I assumed it didn't have time to heat up. Today the temperature is 15 F and the heater blew cold air for my entire 25 minute commute. I read this forum about all of the heater problems and am assuming my PTC heater is not working, and I've been relying on the heat pump, which is ineffective in very cold weather.

Does anyone have any authoritative information on the parameters that control which heater is in use? Is the heat pump always used, but less effective as temperatures fall, and then supplemented by the PTC at a specific outside temperature?

I brought it to the dealer, who has 1 certified Leaf technician. The claim the PTC Heater Assembly needs to be replaced. It is back ordered for an unknown amount of time. When it arrives, they will need a day and a half to replace it, which requires the dash to be removed.

Update: 12/18/13: The dealer replaced the heater assembly under warranty and all seems to be working now. they had the car for 10 days in total due to the back ordered part. I was given a no cost rental car while they kept the Leaf.

- Mike

I didn't see my problem listed in this thread. My heater works. I preheat on these cold morning while it's plugged in and it gets up to a nice toasty heat in just a few minutes. The problem is that then when I go out driving it won't turn off or turn down the heat. It continues to blast out 78 degree heat. I put the fan all the way down on the lowest setting and it still blast hot air. It must severely affect the range, although typically I only go 10 miles to the gym and back. I try putting the temperature down below 70 and it still feels like 78 or 80 degrees coming out of the vent. Pushing the A/C off button stops it altogether, but that's not what I want either, since it's in the 30s now, even here in balmy Calif. I want to be putting out 70-72 degree heat. If I don't preheat, then this doesn't happen. It feels like it's not heating at all, but as mentioned here before, that's probably just a case of not waiting long enough. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to get it to blow out 70-72 degree air and have the fan on low?

Add me to the non functional heater list. My 2012 Leaf has been at the dealer since 12/09. The dealer said the parts are on national back order and should arrive some time in January.

Back