Help me to figure if my commute is doable with 2013 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravisekhar

My one way commute is 39.7 miles. The google maps link is below. If there a way to figure out if i can do round trip with new 2013 LEAF. Don't have workplace charging. I appreciate any tool or website which i can use to lookup if it is remotely possible.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ashbrook+Lane,+San+Ramon,+CA&daddr=488+Almaden+Blvd,+San+Jose,+CA+95113&hl=en&sll=37.543156,-121.892511&sspn=0.617384,1.352692&geocode=FewzQAIdCR68-CkH51qwEu6PgDHX2OIcCW-dcA%3BFb6QOQIdTh68-CmLVw7JscyPgDEvlw5ifxQoow&t=h&mra=ls&z=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need workplace charging. Just a 120 outlet would be enough.

Take a look and see if there is a charge station within walking distance of your work. Search by zip code with this web page
http://www.recargo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where u live?
Ok, guessi should have looked at map first. Unles u willing to drive 55, it is not going to work for u more than a year or two

The good news for you is that there is a descent infrastructure in your area, at least compared to where I live. I'm seeing a number of public charge stations on PlugShare within a mile of your destination (parking garage and city hall area). If you're willing to walk or take public transportation from that area, a LEAF may work for your commute. But I sincerely doubt you could consistently make that round trip commute without charging somewhere, either Level 1 at work, Level 2 at one of the public charge stations while you're at work, or a quick charge near your destination (I am seeing a couple nearby on PlugShare, but keep in mind that this will also extend your commute time). Also, if you think about using the public charge network, it would also be wise to investigate the stations to gauge the likelihood of availability and to be sure that you'll have a plan b, c, and d. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to do to drive the LEAF. I personally would be willing to walk a mile or take public trans. if I could consistently bank on access to a public charge station, but that's because I love driving electric.

You will need to drive conservatively to make the first year. Some time in the second year (maybe sooner) you will be looking to recharge at/near work every day. You will not be giving test drives to coworkers or offering to drive at lunch very much. JMHO

Any chance you have been thinking to move closer to work?

With the elevation changes involved (Sunol Grade, etc...) I don't think you can reasonably expect to make this round-trip without charging.

Since you live in CA, if you're willing to buy, you should consider the Rav4 EV, which has much longer range. Toyota's been slapping on some pretty big discounts ($8.8K to $10K, depending on the area, in addition to dealer discounts).

Thank for all the replies. It looks like unless i can find at least a 110 charge outlet in the parking lot. I doubt i can make the round trip backS to home.

ravisekhar said:
My one way commute is 39.7 miles. The google maps link is below. If there a way to figure out if i can do round trip with new 2013 LEAF. Don't have workplace charging. I appreciate any tool or website which i can use to lookup if it is remotely possible.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ashbrook+Lane,+San+Ramon,+CA&daddr=488+Almaden+Blvd,+San+Jose,+CA+95113&hl=en&sll=37.543156,-121.892511&sspn=0.617384,1.352692&geocode=FewzQAIdCR68-CkH51qwEu6PgDHX2OIcCW-dcA%3BFb6QOQIdTh68-CmLVw7JscyPgDEvlw5ifxQoow&t=h&mra=ls&z=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First, let me thank you for not making us ask 20 questions to get all the basic info we need to offer advice !!! We drove a brand new 2013 LEAF-SL and a 2013 LEAF-S with the heater off at 65mph down the freeway for a total range of 81 miles each.

80 mile round trip, sorry, but that will drive you nutty, UNLESS you can talk your employer into a dedicated place to plug in. Even offer to pay some monthly fee, since it will be cheaper than gasoline.

By year three with the car, you can expect 15-20% reduction in range with a car that goes about 80 miles when new on the freeway at 65mph with no heater. That's about 65-75 miles range in three years. Then, you must factor in cold on the battery for even more reduction in range. Minus more range because you're going up and down hills. And, minus more range if you decide to use the heater.

Get an agreement from you employer or don't plan on using a LEAF for this trip.

OR, like someone posted, you may be able to use a QC station on the way home. You could get enough to get you home in about 15 mins. or less.

there is what is possible and there is what is practical and enjoyable.

as has been said, if you are able to charge at even 110V at work, you will have a much more enjoyable time. public charging stations where you wait while the car charges are best if used as a once in a while kind of thing, not an every day thing, even stopping for quick charging takes a bit of time when you factor in having to pull off the highway etc.

OTOH, don't be scared by the cost of paying for a 110V or 240V outlet at work. if it were me, I'd go with the 240V. I'd get the MY 2013 with the works, including the 6.6 kW charger. you are going to love driving this car enough that saving money will become a side motivation to the overall experience. if you can make it work, it's well worth it!

TonyWilliams said:
By year three with the car, you can expect 15-20% reduction in range with a car that goes about 80 miles when new on the freeway at 65mph with no heater. That's about 65-75 miles range in three years. Then, you must factor in cold on the battery for even more reduction in range. Minus more range because you're going up and down hills. And, minus more range if you decide to use the heater.

And that's if you're comfortable arriving home after the second low battery warning. Subtract 10 more miles if you're inclined to want to end your trip with a couple of miles of buffer remaining.

for the distance you are traveling, you could pay your employer a grand to install 120 volt plug AND $40 a month for electricity for you and pay it back in gas savings in less than a year.

i would go that route. cant hurt to ask

LEAFfan said:
Gasless, it's actually a 6.0kW charger. We don't say 3.8 for the other one as it is a 3.3 and what goes into the pack.

We don't even know that until somebody puts an ammeter on it. I still contend that it will be 30 amps:

7.2kW from the wall, about 6.5kW into the battery on 240v.
6.0kW from the wall, about 5.4kW in Japan at 200v, and a bit more on USA commercial 208v

LEAFFan said:
OR, like someone posted, you may be able to use a QC station on the way home. You could get enough to get you home in about 15 mins. or less.
There is no QC anywhere close to his route except the one at Bishop Ranch, and that is too close to home to do him any good.

How about driving to the Sun Power parking lot at Tasman & 1st and taking the Light Rail from there to the Children's Discovery Museum?

Ray

Back