Help - On the fence about Leaf purchase!!! Range Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Another question to consider is multi-car household makeup... for example if the Leaf turned out to be problematic for your use could your spouse use it and you use her car? Or would you be forced to sell the Leaf or terminate the lease early, potentially taking a loss?

The Leaf will be part of at least a three, possibly four by the time we purchase a Leaf, household with two drivers. So I should be alright in letting the wife use it and using one of the other cars. However, since the wife's not sold on the idea of a car with limited range I'm not sure that she'd be willing to drive it :( Her arguement, and one that's somewhat tought to combat, is to buy a Civic Hybrid or Prius due to the greatly increased range of those two vehciles as opposed to the Leaf.

martindfw said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Another question to consider is multi-car household makeup... for example if the Leaf turned out to be problematic for your use could your spouse use it and you use her car? Or would you be forced to sell the Leaf or terminate the lease early, potentially taking a loss?

The Leaf will be part of at least a three, possibly four by the time we purchase a Leaf, household with two drivers. So I should be alright in letting the wife use it and using one of the other cars. However, since the wife's not sold on the idea of a car with limited range I'm not sure that she'd be willing to drive it :( Her arguement, and one that's somewhat tought to combat, is to buy a Civic Hybrid or Prius due to the greatly increased range of those two vehciles as opposed to the Leaf.

Your situation is much like my own. Plenty of other cars to take in situations where the range is a concern.

I have a theory about wives, that ultimately they will be the biggest fans of EVs because they hate going the gas station. I am the only one in our household who lifts a finger when it comes to car maintenance, everyone else is "too busy", but I know that I'm the one who will have to deal with it when pistons start shooting through the hood. With the Leaf I will just have to train her to plug it in.

(btw I assume this forum only has dudes on it)

LTLFTcomposite said:
I have a theory about wives, that ultimately they will be the biggest fans of EVs because they hate going the gas station. I am the only one in our household who lifts a finger when it comes to car maintenance, everyone else is "too busy"

I'm a fan of that theory also, do you get stuck with refueling the car for your wife also?.. at least one less car to do an oil change on.

(btw I assume this forum only has dudes on it
hmmmm...interesting that you have not figured out by now that we are not all "dudes". In our household, it is share and share alike including not so pleasant tasks like gas fill up and ICE car maintaining. The LEAF will be used by both of us for whoever is doing the within range trips on the weekends. It will be my commuter car weekdays. Women come in all sizes and in all persuasions regarding new technology and mechanical stuff. I gather men do, too. :lol:

Kataphn said:
In our household, it is share and share alike including not so pleasant tasks like gas fill up and ICE car maintaining.

Any more like you at home? :lol:

Actually I was kidding, but I do suspect you're in the minority here Kataphn

LTLFTcomposite said:
martindfw said:
Your situation is much like my own. Plenty of other cars to take in situations where the range is a concern.

I have a theory about wives, that ultimately they will be the biggest fans of EVs because they hate going the gas station. I am the only one in our household who lifts a finger when it comes to car maintenance, everyone else is "too busy", but I know that I'm the one who will have to deal with it when pistons start shooting through the hood. With the Leaf I will just have to train her to plug it in.

(btw I assume this forum only has dudes on it)
I think there are some "little old biddies in a sewing circle" on the forums, though the reference was likely in repsonse to a male member. Certainly a fair number of diverse people on the forum and as we get to mass adoption, even more diverse.

Sooo.... You want the Significant Other or other family members to start driving the EV? Well, you gotta stop putting out for free!
Dear Family,
We now have an Electric Car, the Nissan LEAF, that refills using the electricity already preent in our garage. As such, I will no longer be going to the gasoline station and putting gasoline in our vehicles. If you wish to drive the gasoline vehicles, you'll need to go to the gas station and put gas in them. This is a limited time offer. In 90 days from now, I will no longer perform any of the maintenance of the gasoline vehicles.
When faced with the entire reality of driving, fueling and maintaining a gasoline car, I think a few family members will warm up to the Electric real quick! :D :eek: :D

LTLFTcomposite said:
Kataphn said:
In our household, it is share and share alike including not so pleasant tasks like gas fill up and ICE car maintaining.

Any more like you at home? :lol:

Actually I was kidding, but I do suspect you're in the minority here Kataphn
My wife pumps her own gas, and takes her own car in for service...and I wash dishes and vacuum floors. I will admit she is appreciative when I notice and take time to fill her car for her, however.

I do this every day... actually, i drive further than your example. I come home with plenty of battery to spare.

your second biggest issue is rain. that screws the mileage. havnt driven in it enough to know how much, but the time it really was an issue in cutting m/kWh.

your primary issue is your SO.
I cant imagine buying a car for the family that the SO did not want.
perhaps a ride will convince her. does she commute?

good luck with that.

Back