Help re: 2019 Leaf Inverter failure (48,000 miles)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcarz

2019 Nissan Leaf Tekna 48,000 miles I’ve owned it for the last 5 months or so no issues except scraping sound at higher speeds sounds like low brakes or something . But a couple days ago after not using the car for about a week the car suddenly went into neutral on the motorway and these error messages came up. 12v battery seeemed dead so got it jump started and towed to kwikfit. They changed the 12v battery all seemed fine, drove it for 5 mins after leaving kwikfit and same issue again. Now it’s at a hevra garage who confirmed today based on their diagnostics that it is a faulty inverter. My guess is that the entire job including labour will set me back £800-£1000.
LeafSpy has given me the following info which indeed shows that the inverter code P3249-00 0A MOTOR CONTROL Drive Motor A Inverter TMS-93 reappears after being cleared.
Is this really it and what else can it be if not? And why did it fail so quickly ?

Not sure how to upload pics but it’s here :
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?photo_id=7110752835612815

2019 Nissan Leaf Tekna 48,000 miles I’ve owned it for the last 5 months or so no issues except scraping sound at higher speeds sounds like low brakes or something . But a couple days ago after not using the car for about a week the car suddenly went into neutral on the motorway and these error messages came up. 12v battery seeemed dead so got it jump started and towed to kwikfit. They changed the 12v battery all seemed fine, drove it for 5 mins after leaving kwikfit and same issue again. Now it’s at a hevra garage who confirmed today based on their diagnostics that it is a faulty inverter. My guess is that the entire job including labour will set me back £800-£1000.
LeafSpy has given me the following info which indeed shows that the inverter code P3249-00 0A MOTOR CONTROL Drive Motor A Inverter TMS-93 reappears after being cleared.
Is this really it and what else can it be if not? And why did it fail so quickly ?

I don't know what warranty coverage you have there, but the Nissan factory warranty in the USA covers the entire EV system for 5 years or 60,000 miles so you may want to check to see if you have warranty coverage before going further. Failing or failed 12V battery can cause many CAN Bus (computer network between control modules in the car) communication errors that can cause diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) which indicate failure of expensive modules. Communication errors can cause control modules to lock up and it can take disconnecting, waiting a few minutes, and reconnecting the 12V battery to reboot control modules. Try disconnecting/reconnecting the 12V battery and clearing DTC's (using LEAF Spy Pro) several times. Clear codes, disconnect/reconnect 12V battery, clear codes, disconnect/reconnect 12V battery, and clear codes again. Repeat this process at least 2 or 3 times before replacing expensive components.

Failing or failed 12V battery can cause many CAN Bus (computer network between control modules in the car) communication errors that can cause diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) which indicate failure of expensive modules.
I totally agree.

Make sure that the auxiliary (12V) battery is getting charged (at least 13.5V when in ready mode for a minute).

Unless that auxiliary battery is less than a year old, replace it and charge the replacement fully, preferably before installing. Then reset all the trouble codes and try some short drives around the block. Then longer drives.

It's rare for the motor inverter to fail, in my limited experience.

Hi we are selling Brand new inverters 110KW at £650 based in the UK +44 7309005044

Back