Hi just joined and looking to get a Leaf. Question about gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keydiver said:
Rain affects the mileage of any vehicle, pushing all that water in front of the tires. Its just more noticeable in a LEAF, or my Prius.

On another thread a couple of days ago I saw the link to youtube video of the leaf driving through flooded road. I suspect that it will give a warm battery a short cooling off period.

Can people steal your charger while you're sleeping over night?

Not sure what you mean. If you're using either L1 (120V wall outlet) charging, or have a wall mounted L2 (240V circuit), the actual conversion of AC to DC to charge the battery is in the car itself. If you're worried about someone unplugging your LEAF at a public charging station, the newer ones have a lock that locks the charging cord to the vehicle while it's charging and unlocks it when the charge is complete.

FYI, we have a 2011 (#404 in the country) with 30,000 miles on it in three years and we just had it checked at the dealer. They said the battery was in outstanding condition (but that has a lot to do with how we drive and charge it). We still have all 12 bars of capacity showing.

You can lock the plug to the car, but I would still be concerned that someone might cut the cord, not knowing what they have. Or even for the copper. I don't know if it ever happened, but you might want to make it as inconspicuous as possible.

garsh said:
miraifusionzt4 said:
Is it bad to just keep gas sitting in the tank like that?
The gas in the tank could gel if left for several months. Because of this, I recommend driving your tank once every couple of weeks to keep that from happening.

Once you get used to driving the Leaf, I'll bet you'll enjoy it so much that you trade in your tank for another electric vehicle.
I suppose I shouldn't encourage dry humor . . . . but . . . .
:lol:

miraifusionzt4 said:
Can people steal your charger while you're sleeping over night?

on Leaf models 2013 and newer, you have a lock option in your car. You can either choose "Lock" which will prevent anyone from unplugging the cable even if your vehicle is fully charged or "Auto" which will allow people to unplug the car once it's fully charged. I use the "Lock" for when I'm using my own charging cable outside, overnight (some idiot can still cut it, but at least there is some security) and "Auto" when I'm at a mall charging station so other ev's can unplug my car and get a charge if mine is fully charged. It works great so far, but I have only had the car for a month.

Electric transport is great, who in their right mind would want to use gas??? ... so last century...

I see the lock button next to the charger door release button, but how do you select "auto" or "lock"?

Wish our malls had chargers....

Graycenphil said:
I see the lock button next to the charger door release button, but how do you select "auto" or "lock"?

Wish our malls had chargers....

I have a 2013 SV model and the lock button on mine shows AUTO on top part and LOCK on the bottom, so if I push the button up, it will lock and unlock once car is charged, if I push it down it will lock and won't unlock until I push the button back into the middle position.

Yes, mall chargers are very handy. Hopefully there will become more commonplace everywhere as the number of EV's increases. Until then, you can always try to email the management suggesting they have one installed. They'll probably ignore it unless they get a large number of requests, but it's always worth a try. Our government offers subsidies for charging station installations (since 2012 until end of March this year), so we have had quite a few installed in British Columbia, Canada, plus most of them are free of charge for the time being - can't argue with that! Still, there are fewer than 700 EVs registered here overall. I don't quite get the reluctance of people to make the switch. Most of it seems to be 'range anxiety', which is really a non-issue for majority of trips - don't you find?

I do see that on the button - I never realized it had two modes. Thanks for pointing it out.

I agree that most people could easily have an electric for a second car, and it would be fine for most trips. But I also admit the range anxiety is kind of powerful. I've only had the car for a week or so, and it is a bit disconcerting seeing those decreasing numbers staring at you all the time.

My biggest range problem is wanting to use the car all the time. I keep saying, if only it had another 50 miles, I could easily go to such and such a place. I'm also cautious because my wife will not like it if we run out of power on the way home from somewhere. The car was kind of her idea, but then I had to sell her on it.

Back