Home Level 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui1

I am probably fortunate to get a free level 2 for my two 2013 Model S Leaf's through a Hitachi Maui partnership. In the same line - my lease has only one more year to go so wondering about the future - knowing all 2014 models now are standard with dc fast quick charge ports (unlike my 2013 model s) - wondering is there a home option for dc fast chargers? or would it be impractible - even though we have two Leafs and have done quite well with alternating our 110v level one between the two cars for nearly a year. I understand the daily range is the main factor, but late night switching out which of us is charging is an ideal world I look forward to and may find with the upcoming level 2. thanks ahead, Paul

No DC Fast chargers for home yet that I know of.

What about http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

Here's some already modified for sale: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where did you get info that QC will be standard on all US-model 2014 Leafs? According to the pic of a 2014 Leaf S Monroney sticker http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15599&view=unread#p350831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the QC is part of an option package, just like with 2013. The only difference is that the backup camera is now standard, as it is now a requirement for 2014.

As far as home QC chargers, they are not practical due to cost (tens of thousands of dollars) and their power requirements far exceed that of a typical home.

It looks like all the commercial fast chargers are very expensive. You would also have to worry about overloading your home's electrical service, I suspect.

Good point - further research mentions a dc fast charger on the S - but it is sketchy and probably an option. Thanks for bringing this up, Seems like per http://green.autoblog.com/2013/07/17/2014-nissan-leaf-will-get-smallest-of-upgrades-compared-to-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the quick charge is only standard in SL. Shucks - looking forward to Level 2 although as mentioned still have done well with Level 1 at home and no outside charging with two 2013 Model S - tx

LeftieBiker said:
It looks like all the commercial fast chargers are very expensive. You would also have to worry about overloading your home's electrical service, I suspect.
Yep. The cheapest DC FC I know of is the $15.5K http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It requires 3-phase 480 volt power.

IIRC, from another post, the average cost to install at a Nissan dealer w/parts and labor is $49K.

I chatted with Phil about upgrading the cable more specifically the brick for dcqc because a friend of mine has access to water treatment plants with 480 triple phase. He estimated that just upgrading the brick would be close to $3k. Unless your house is already wired for 480 triple phase like because you have massive electric welding equipment then even with an upgraded brick/cable you would still be looking at even more thousands to run a second line to the house.

ksnogas2112 said:
I chatted with Phil about upgrading the cable more specifically the brick for dcqc because a friend of mine has access to water treatment plants with 480 triple phase. He estimated that just upgrading the brick would be close to $3k. Unless your house is already wired for 480 triple phase like because you have massive electric welding equipment then even with an upgraded brick/cable you would still be looking at even more thousands to run a second line to the house.
Upgrading the brick for DCQC is basically out of the question. There would be basically zero parts in common. Different plugs, different wires, different electrical components, different protocols, different physical sizes... This is a complete non-starter, so I suspect there was some level of misunderstanding here.

Plus, getting 480V 3-phase power to your home is nowhere near as simple as a "second line". At the very least, you'd need to pull a power feed from your local transformer, if not going all the way to the substation to pick up the 3-phase feed. Then you'll need a rather expensive dedicated transformer... Totally impractical.

For anyone's information that might have tried to purchase a EV-Charge America home charger, I just received a full refund of my deposit without even asking them. When they sent me the check they said they were still trying to locate a few people that they wanted to settle up with, but couldn't be located. I found that they have a link on their homepage to leave contact information so they can get back with them for the refunds. Thought maybe there might be somebody around that would like to know this is happening now.

Back