How do you force the Leaf to turn off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saintyohann

Just a question as I can't get an answer from Nissan.

In all my issues with the Leaf since March, twice I have been unable to turn the car off.

After all the Toyota unintended acceleration complaints, I had heard that most push-button to start cars could be forced off by holding down the power button or pressing it three times very quickly. Neither worked for me, but I don't know what the correct procedure.

Does anyone know?

- jon

saintyohann said:

In all my issues with the Leaf since March, twice I have been unable to turn the car off.

After all the Toyota unintended acceleration complaints, I had heard that most push-button to start cars could be forced off by holding down the power button or pressing it three times very quickly. Neither worked for me, but I don't know what the correct procedure.

Does anyone know?

- jon

Those are the correct procedures. I wouldn't drive this car until it is repaired (or towed as a return to Nissan).

You could pull the big fuse in the emergency "hump" between the seats. That will shut it down.

saintyohann said:

Does anyone know?

- jon
From your Nissan Leaf manual, page 5-9 (Starting & Driving):

EMERGENCY EV (Electric Vehicle) SHUT OFF

To shut off the EV (Electric Vehicle) system in an emergency situation while driving, perform the following procedure.

. Rapidly push the power switch 3 consecutive times in less than 1.5 seconds, or
. Push and hold the power switch for more than 2 seconds.

Back