HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
On continued thinking, There may be an issue with the lack of the LED present in the 2012's causing the circuit to behave differently. You could try adding a 470 ohm resistor in place of the LED, and last suggestion I can think of is trying a smaller capacitor, such as a 3.3uF, or maybe even a 2.2uf.

Let us know what happens, as I will adjust the circuit to reflect your findings.

-Phil
A lower value didn't work, but a higher one did. Caps of 1µF and 4.7µF didn't allow the manual switch to toggle the VSP, but 10µF and 22µF did. (I ended up using 22µF.)

Thank you, Phil.

I think with my limited abilities I'd want to wire a simple throw switch to one pole of the speaker and mount it in the cabin some where.
Can some one explain or better yet post a picture of where the speaker is? and the best way to get to it is?
Thanks in advance

GeekEV said:
HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
Basically, is there a simple way to add a switch back in to allow the VSP to be disabled for MY2012 (assuming all the wiring is still present and they just removed the switch) ?
Using the pin diagram on step 4 of the OP, you should be able to splice in a button between pin 1 (black wire) & pin 5 (green wire).
FYI, I finally got around to adding a VSP disable switch to my 2012 SV.

For 2012, there is no wire connected to pin 5. I added a wire to that location of the plug, and spliced into wire 1. I ran the new cable to the other side of the dash, and added a momentary switch (this one) to one of the blank switch plates next to the headlight adjustment dial. It works perfectly! The VSP warning light on the center console changes to indicate the current state of the VSP.

Nice work, garsh! Good to have confirmation that it works...

I still think its odd that they not only took away the switch in MY2012 but that the VSP warning light comes on now when you turn it off (MY2011 doesn't light the light). But I guess since there no switch anymore it (technically) *would* be a fault for it to be off. ;)

garsh said:
GeekEV said:
HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
Basically, is there a simple way to add a switch back in to allow the VSP to be disabled for MY2012 (assuming all the wiring is still present and they just removed the switch) ?
Using the pin diagram on step 4 of the OP, you should be able to splice in a button between pin 1 (black wire) & pin 5 (green wire).
FYI, I finally got around to adding a VSP disable switch to my 2012 SV.

For 2012, there is no wire connected to pin 5. I added a wire to that location of the plug, and spliced into wire 1. I ran the new cable to the other side of the dash, and added a momentary switch (this one) to one of the blank switch plates next to the headlight adjustment dial. It works perfectly! The VSP warning light on the center console changes to indicate the current state of the VSP.
**nevermind** answered my own question.

garsh said:
I ran the new cable to the other side of the dash, and added a momentary switch (this one) to one of the blank switch plates next to the headlight adjustment dial. It works perfectly!
I finally got around to taking a picture of the switch:
IMG_20120718_081426.jpg

I just installed the momentary switch this weekend; I was waiting for a good excuse to remove the glovebox and chose this weekend to look at the condition of the cabin air filter (it needs replacement).

The entire process took me about one hour but I could do it again in 20 minutes no w that I found a good location for the switch and know exactly which cables to use and where they are.

2b7c909e59be11e2ac7c22000a1f96a8_7.jpg

Has anyone found out yet if this will still work on a 13? I have the 13 service manual the pinouts (including a missing #5) should be the same.. I'm willing to give it a shot, was just curious if anyone already has.

I know I am in the minority but I think the swishing sound serves as a warning. What I hate is the backup buzzer. I added a relay triggered from the backup light that opens the speaker, The speaker is hidden in the drivers side wheel well in front of the shroud.

GlennD said:
I know I am in the minority but I think the swishing sound serves as a warning. What I hate is the backup buzzer. I added a relay triggered from the backup light that opens the speaker, The speaker is hidden in the drivers side wheel well in front of the shroud.

the more I drive around, the more that the VSP doesn't bother me so much, as like you, the beeping while backing up like i'm a large truck or something. Where did you tie in your relay specifically?

THis is the text of my email reply. I am not a step by step person.

In the relay pod the left most relay is for the backup lights. I just tapped the wire to the tail lights to control another relay with the other coil wire grounded.

The speaker is in front of the drivers wheel well.. I cut one wire and spliced it to a length of speaker wire. I then connected it to the common and normally closed contacts of a bosch style relay.

The speaker is connected until the back up signal triggers the relay and opens the speaker.

After grabbing the wrong module the first time (they moved the VSP module to the left on the 2013)... It has been redesigned a bit.. the 'big chip' has changed to a D78F1834.

Interestingly enough.. they mark the pinout on the bottom of the board.. and still mention the VSP off switch. Also, it appears they put some 'blue crap' on the pins of all the chips, so you can't 'tamper' with them. Classy.

Pics.

8725196608_47789110e8_z.jpg

8724076455_e91eeb338d_z.jpg

The 2013 pinout shows (not sure if it's the same):
8725076364_c80bd4e777.jpg

That "Blue Crap" is not for anti-tamper protection. It is a conformal coating to prevent "Tin Whiskers", galvanic corrosion, and solder joint failure. If they wanted to deter tampering, they'd encapsulate it. There isn't a lot of super-seekrit technology in the VSP!

Outside of the US market, the cancel button is allowed, so it stands to reason that the pin/function will be present.

One of these days when I have nothing better to do, I may reverse-engineer it and figure out how to make new noises. The Yamaha synth chip is very flexible!

Looks like they upgraded it for 2013 from the YMF807 to the YMF827.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
That "Blue Crap" is not for anti-tamper protection. It is a conformal coating to prevent "Tin Whiskers", galvanic corrosion, and solder joint failure. If they wanted to deter tampering, they'd encapsulate it. There isn't a lot of super-seekrit technology in the VSP!

Outside of the US market, the cancel button is allowed, so it stands to reason that the pin/function will be present.

One of these days when I have nothing better to do, I may reverse-engineer it and figure out how to make new noises. The Yamaha synth chip is very flexible!

-Phil

Good point.. Why not do it to the components on the other side then? As for not for anti tampering.. i have had chips that they only coated the pins before with a black epoxy (but left the top of the chips uncovered.. that's why that was what i suspected first.. oh well.

Ingineer said:

-Phil

Now I'd be interested in THAT, although I don't know how you would actually sell/install it.

Stanton said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Now I'd be interested in THAT, although I don't know how you would actually sell/install it.

Depending on what has to be done. Maybe he won't _sell_ it.. I noted that looking up Phil, he gets mentioned with automotive Open Source, but i've not seen any open source as of yet. Maybe this would be?

I've done a ton of open source, dating back over 30 years ago when I was active in the 8-bit computer movement.

The VSP can be reprogrammed from the DLC3 connector under the dash, so I could "rent" you a dongle that will reflash your VSP, then you send it back. =)

-Phil

sorphin said:
Good point.. Why not do it to the components on the other side then? As for not for anti tampering.. i have had chips that they only coated the pins before with a black epoxy (but left the top of the chips uncovered.. that's why that was what i suspected first.. oh well.
It's only applied on dense SMD packages, you'll see it often on QFP, BGA, QFP, etc. Something like SOIC is dense enough, so there is no need. (The problem occurs when the spacing between the pins is very small)

-Phil

Back