Howto: Connecting TCU to OVMS for 2011-2012 ZE0 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dala

Leaf Supporting Member
So here is a quick guide for any 2011-2012 owners wanting to connect OVMS to the TCU to activate remote heating/cooling. This is achieved by following this schematic:
S9eYzQM.png

Start by removing the glovebox. It is held on with 10x philips head screws. You also have to pop off the side cover on the right side.
BzJsyaU.jpg

The TCU is on the right side
WvdAfqc.jpg

The connectors on the back that we want to get to. I tried disconnecting them while the TCU was in this position, but it is very hard so I ultimately removed the entire TCU before attempting to disconnect it.
HqUXdzl.jpg

Here is the wire we want to patch into. It is the one on the far right (light green).
NbxfNXn.jpg

You can crimp or solder a wire onto it. You can leave it unplugged afterwards, no need to power on the TCU.
yofhuaX.jpg

On the OVMS, I didn't have a DSUB26 connector, so I soldered a wire directly onto the PCB.
5fhmJMG.jpg

It is better to use a proper D26 connector, like this for reference
TdZVU25.jpg

Hope this guide helped! :)

This is an excellent picture/graphics step-by-step similar to what I covered in my OVMS topic/thread (https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32715#p612321). I think it's important to keep this info in 1 (or 2) threads, especially since it takes so much time to create/document this stuff.
The biggest difference I can see between what Dala has done and what I have done is as follows: I actually removed the 40 pin connector from the TCU motherboard (it doesn't do any good to keep the TCU for Gen1 Leafs once the 3G network has been shut-down) and modified it (connected pin 1 to pin 11) as a "plug-in" part to the existing TCU harness that remains in the car (I routed the 40 pin connector through the opening for what used to be the glove box light for easy access). Then, when I want to use remote climate control, I simply plug/mate the male/female connectors (thereby "waking up" the car) so I can issue the command from the OVMS app. Why don't I leave it connected all the time? Because waking up the car will drain the 12v battery in a matter of hours.
Note: This method does not require modification of the OVMS motherboard or purchase of any additional parts/connectors, but still allows remote climate control (assuming you install/mate the connector now accessible inside the glove box ahead of time).

Stanton said:
... (I routed the 40 pin connector through the opening for what used to be the glove box light for easy access). Then, when I want to use remote climate control, I simply plug/mate the male/female connectors (thereby "waking up" the car) so I can issue the command from the OVMS app. Why don't I leave it connected all the time? Because waking up the car will drain the 12v battery in a matter of hours.
Note: This method does not require modification of the OVMS motherboard or purchase of any additional parts/connectors, but still allows remote climate control (assuming you install/mate the connector now accessible inside the glove box ahead of time).

Stanton that isn't a good idea to trigger the 12V manually. It is simply too risky to forget it. Use the new method shown in this thread instead. You don't even need any connectors, simply solder a wire to the OVMS module if you don't want to source a D26.

Firmware with this functionality available here: https://dalasevrepair.fi/wp-content/OVMS/ovms3.bin

This was just merged into the OVMS main branch a few minutes ago: https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/671

Dala said:
Stanton said:
... (I routed the 40 pin connector through the opening for what used to be the glove box light for easy access). Then, when I want to use remote climate control, I simply plug/mate the male/female connectors (thereby "waking up" the car) so I can issue the command from the OVMS app. Why don't I leave it connected all the time? Because waking up the car will drain the 12v battery in a matter of hours.

Stanton that isn't a good idea to trigger the 12V manually. It is simply too risky to forget it. Use the new method shown in this thread instead. You don't even need any connectors, simply solder a wire to the OVMS module if you don't want to source a D26.
Trust me: I won't/don't forget it (learned the hard way). I really don't know if I want to "open up" the OVMS module and run a wire across the front of my car (OVMS module -> TCU harness).
I didn't know about the new development and appreciate the link; I will check it out--if it gets rolled into the 4G modem upgrade.
And thank you for all you do for Leafs (I use your CAN-bridge)!

Dala said:
Firmware with this functionality available here: https://dalasevrepair.fi/wp-content/OVMS/ovms3.bin

This was just merged into the OVMS main branch a few minutes ago: https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/pull/671
I read through the latest version of the OVMS docs (from your link above) and noticed there's no explanation of how/what command you issue to "wake up" the car (pin #18 in the OVMS module). Is it this for Gen1 type Leafs (referenced in my thread)?
  • use the Homelink button in the "Car" screen of the app (not easy to tell which "mode" you are in [on/off])
  • enter the climatecontrol [on/off] command in the "Messages" screen of the app
Will these commands now both "wake up" the car and initiate remote climate control (assuming you have flashed the new code)?

Stanton said:
I read through the latest version of the OVMS docs (from your link above) and noticed there's no explanation of how/what command you issue to "wake up" the car (pin #18 in the OVMS module). Is it this for Gen1 type Leafs (referenced in my thread)?

All remote commands (start charge, start AC, stop AC etc.) will now wakeup the 2011-2012 LEAF properly yes!

Back