HVAC Gone Bad - Heating, Ventillation and Air Conditioning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montoo

My HVAC failed after 2 weeks of buying a new Leaf. Not sure if i am unlucky or what but Heating in my Leaf stopped working after a few weeks. I am in Denver, Colorado but even in Colorado winters, Heated seats and steering wheel was enough heating for me, so I had the temperature turned down to 60 to get a better range and never noticed that the heating had gone bad. Then the other day my friend was with me and it was a bad cold evening so he asked me to turn the heating up and there you go... no heating... new car... what an embarrassment, i could not believe it :shock: . I looked at the power consumption and even when i turned it up to 90 degrees, there was no power consumption from HVAC.
Took it to the Nissan dealer the next day, left the car there, they were puzzled as well. This is a new car for them. Although they have a certified Leaf technician, but he was like... "man i will have to call the experts to figure out". They gave me a courtesy Nissan rogue and i am pumping gas again :( , what a bummer.
It has been more than a week now. They say, after consulting, running diagnostics, they had to tear it down and are replacing the DC distributor(DC-to-DC convertor) and the Control box for Heating. The DC-to-DC convertor has fuse for every component it sends power to, so maybe the fuse for heating went bad ... and the heating control box maybe fried. God know what happened, but I gathered from the dealer that, it looks like Nissan has reports of heating not working well in colder climates and they might be replacing that in the next model or do a recall for previous models.
My Leaf meanwhile has been torn down...parts replaced...freon has to be refilled...bubbles to be removed from that gas... i could not bear the sight.
I hope to get it back on the 28th. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I might search the internet for the "Lemon Law" which defines how long a new car has to be "in repairs" during warranty to be declared a lemon. Why... why me....

It's probably the HVAC coolant pump. Yours is not the first to fail, there's been a few others.

drees said:
It's probably the HVAC coolant pump. Yours is not the first to fail, there's been a few others.
Only coolant pump and it requires both the DC/DC convertor and Heater control box to be replaced as well? The dealer did not say anything about replacing a coolant pump, but could be... he did mention removing bubbles from the coolant though... i don't know. I have not seen any other posts complaining about HVAC on this forum...

Well, even if it always worked flawlessly, which is clearly not the case, it would still be a mediocre design at best... Hopefully they'll dump the whole thing and start over for the 2013...

montoo said:
In my opinion, Nissan should redesign HVAC.

montoo said:
It has been more than a week now. They say, after consulting, running diagnostics, they had to tear it down and are replacing the DC distributor(DC-to-DC convertor) and the Control box for Heating. The DC-to-DC convertor has fuse for every component it sends power to, so maybe the fuse for heating went bad ...

If so, it probaby wasn't the fuse for the heating element as that runs on pack voltage and the fuse for it should thus not be located in the DC-DC converter.

Colorado lemon law info

Your lemon law appears quite different from ours in California. Usually, you don't have any success getting a car declared a lemon until it is proven to be unfixable. In CA I think the dealer is given three or four attempts to fix before you can even consider it - and often they decide that something different is wrong then they first tried to fix, so getting to your 3 or 4 can be a challenge.

In CO is looking like they can keep trying until they decide it is unfixable.

Just taking a car apart and putting it back together isn't sufficient. We had a car that had an issue with a cylinder at about 35k miles (under a 36k mile warranty). They replaced the piston, which didn't fix things, then torn the engine down replacing parts and rebuilt - still didn't fix it. They replaced the engine with a new one. The car still had issues. Then they torn the engine down and replaced the cam shafts with a specially selected matched set and rebuilt. That seemed to do the trick. Through all of that - no ability to make a claim as we technically only took it to the dealer twice for all of that work to be performed.

Usually, if you replace enough stuff, eventually you replace the thing that is broken!

montoo said:
My HVAC failed after 2 weeks of buying a new Leaf....
I got my car back last evening. Like the dealer had mentioned, they changed the DC/DC convertor/distributor and Control Box. The car heating is like a normal ICE car now. I hope to start enjoying my leaf again . What a pleasure to drive this thing after 11 days of ICE Car :).

TomT said:
Well, even if it always worked flawlessly, which is clearly not the case, it would still be a mediocre design at best... Hopefully they'll dump the whole thing and start over for the 2013...

montoo said:
In my opinion, Nissan should redesign HVAC.

It should have a composite heat-pump with resistance heater for temps below 40F / 4C - ish.

Yes, Nissan is already on it. Whether it shows up for 2013, don't know.

I had my heater fail also, and there are a few others as well and we are not the first to fail, there's been a few others.

Back