Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
I think backing as many approaches as have a reasonable chance of succeeding makes sense until at least one of them can provide ICE comparable performance at a comparable price, and you don't, but it's not up to either of us.
BEVs already exceed the capabilities of ICEVs at a lower cost. This is true for the significant applications called commuting and local transport. In Japan, there is little need for long-range travel in cars since they have outstanding public transport.

H2 FCVs are nowhere near the price of ICEVs. They will not be adopted in Japan since they are in any energy crunch. Anything which wastes so much energy cannot be chosen, regardless of any political will which is put forth.
Reg, we've had this argument so many times. ICEs waste even more energy, and they were adopted and will remain the mainstream choice until something better comes along (or a government can coerce buyers into switching). The Japanese (and U.S., and most other) public remains unconvinced that BEVs at their current price and with their current capability are better than ICEs. The same is obviously true for now for FCEVs, and we don't know when or if either will reach the tipping point. For now, they both depend on government subsidies and perks for sales, a situation that applies everywhere.

Follow on from yesterday's article, via GCC:
Air Liquide and Hyundai commit to accelerate deployment of H2 fuel cell vehicles and infrastructure in Korea and Europe
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160606-airliquide.html

South Korea President Park Geun-hye visited Air Liquide’s Sassenage site, near Grenoble, France, on 4 June. On the occasion of this state visit, Air Liquide and Hyundai committed to accelerate the deployment of hydrogen infrastructure and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV) in Korea and in Europe.

In Korea, in line with the national Green Car Roadmap ambitions, Air Liquide and Hyundai intend to collaborate for the deployment of hydrogen stations enabling the successful roll-out of Hyundai FCEVs.

In Europe, Air Liquide and Hyundai intend to further develop FCEV fleet projects such as taxis or municipal fleets.

In France, Air Liquide has installed the first hydrogen station in the heart of Paris at the occasion of COP21 to serve the hydrogen-powered electric vehicles of the Hype Taxi fleet, currently composed of five Hyundai ix-35 cars. The objective is to increase this Taxi fleet to 70 vehicles. . . .

GRA, your constant attempts to paint BEVs and H2 FCVs with the same brush are extremely misguided.

GRA said:
ICEs waste even more energy,...
That's simply not true. H2 FCVs waste both more energy AND more resources than any other approach when manufacturing and infrastructure are factored in.
GRA said:
...and they were adopted...
Repeating a non-sequitur argument does not make it meaningful. ICEVs were adopted at a time when the natural resources to fuel them were extremely plentiful when compared to the number of vehicles on the road. That situation simply does not exist with ANY technologies today, including ICEVs. This is precisely the reason why the most energy and resource efficient solutions are being adopted today.
GRA said:
...and will remain the mainstream choice until something better comes along (or a government can coerce buyers into switching).
It has NEVER been true that new technology replaces incumbent technology simply because it is "better." Why? Because of inertia in markets. BEVs ARE better than ICEs for very significant applications today and they ARE replacing them in these applications. This process of replacement will hasten as time and technology march on (with fits and starts). Government subsidies ONLY affect the rate of adoption.
GRA said:
The Japanese (and U.S., and most other) public remains unconvinced that BEVs at their current price and with their current capability are better than ICEs.
So what? No one has ever indicated that BEVs are better than ICEVs for all applications today. ICEVs ARE still better for most applications. In the very near future, that will no longer be true.
GRA said:
The same is obviously true for now for FCEVs, and we don't know when or if either will reach the tipping point.
None of the above applies to H2 FCVs. They offer no actual benefits over ICEVs or BEVs except in very specialized applications such as manned spacecraft and three-shift warehouse forklifts. Promoting them for other applications is utter nonsense, since it means wasting the extremely limited resources that we have.
GRA said:
For now, they both depend on government subsidies and perks for sales, a situation that applies everywhere.
Not so. FCVs depend fully on government subsidies today since they are inferior to ICEVs in every figure-of-merit that exists (except as noted above.. The uptake rate of BEVs IS affected by government subsidies, but there will be sales and sales growth without any government support. Of course, manufacturers will flock to where the support exists in order to maximize their profits.

RegGuheert said:
FCVs depend fully on government subsidies today since they are inferior to ICEVs in every figure-of-merit that exists (except as noted above.. The uptake rate of BEVs IS affected by government subsidies, but there will be sales and sales growth without any government support. Of course, manufacturers will flock to where the support exists in order to maximize their profits.

This is the key point. BEVs have market niches where they are more convenient, cheaper, and generally nicer, or faster 0-60. Even without government support, BEVs are going to be selling, improving and slowing expanding market share. Without governmental support, it might have taken decades to get to this point. Even without environmental concern and government support, BEVs now are here to stay.

There is no such niche for FCEVs. They are less convenient and more expensive. They are slower. They will need massive governmental support for a decade minimum just to survive.

RegGuheert said:
GRA, your constant attempts to paint BEVs and H2 FCVs with the same brush are extremely misguided. <snip>
As I have no wish to engage in yet another round of the same endlessly repeated arguments, I will forebear to reply. Assuming that there's anyone still interested, they may consult any of my replies in previous argument cycles.

Via Fortune (tip from ABG):
Exxon Is Planning a Fuel Cell Venture
http://fortune.com/2016/05/05/exxon-is-planning-a-fuel-cell-venture/

Company says the project has nothing to do with outrage over its climate change disclosures.

Exxon Mobil Corp, which has been fighting accusations it misled investors and the public for years about the risks of climate change, said on Thursday it will expand a research project with FuelCell Energy Inc that aims to cut the cost of collecting carbon emissions from power plants.

The companies hope to use fuel cells, rather than exhaust scrubbers, the industry standard, to capture emissions from natural gas-fired plants and at the same time generate electricity. Scrubbers typically consume power as they filter carbon. . . .

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
GRA, your constant attempts to paint BEVs and H2 FCVs with the same brush are extremely misguided. <snip>
As I have no wish to engage in yet another round of the same endlessly repeated arguments, I will forebear to reply. Assuming that there's anyone still interested, they may consult any of my replies in previous argument cycles.

GRA, I just wonder why you favor FCEVs so much? You seem to be the gatekeeper of this thread trying to defend FCEVs. Look it's not that hard to see why FCEVs are a bad idea for passenger cars:

1.) They are too inefficient
2.) Cost too much to manufacture
3.) The H2 will still be derived from a fossil fuel in the U.S.
4.) The fueling stations cost way too much to build
5.) They offer poor performance compared to ICEVs & BEVs
6.) No way for consumer to refuel at home with the possibility of using a renewable energy source.

I know I've said this before and I will say it again, why reinvent the wheel? We already have a technology that does EVERYTHING a FCEV does now and it does it cheaper with better performance.....it's called an ICEV. Why not keep using what we have (ICEV) until BEVs mature to the point where they are at parity with ICEVs? I know you think we should explore all possibilities and not just focus on one technology, I agree with that. I'm going let you in on a little secret though....it's not FCEV! I know how much you like them but time to face reality that they are just not a practical solution. If another tech comes along that is worth pursuing then great, but so far PHEVs and BEVs are the only thing worth it at the moment.

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:
RegGuheert said:

GRA, I just wonder why you favor FCEVs so much? You seem to be the gatekeeper of this thread trying to defend FCEVs. Look it's not that hard to see why FCEVs are a bad idea for passenger cars:

6.) No way for consumer to refuel at home with the possibility of using a renewable energy source.

I know I've said this before and I will say it again, why reinvent the wheel? We already have a technology that does EVERYTHING a FCEV does now and it does it cheaper with better performance.....it's called an ICEV. Why not keep using what we have (ICEV) until BEVs mature to the point where they are at parity with ICEVs? I know you think we should explore all possibilities and not just focus on one technology, I agree with that. I'm going let you in on a little secret though....it's not FCEV! I know how much you like them but time to face reality that they are just not a practical solution. If another tech comes along that is worth pursuing then great, but so far PHEVs and BEVs are the only thing worth it at the moment.
See any of my previous replies to the same points.

GRA said:
rcm4453 said:
GRA said:

See any of my previous replies to the same points.

All the links you post don't mean a thing, they don't disprove or discredit the 6 key points I made above. All the points I just made are facts and common sense about FCEVs. If this country does decide to go the FCEV route despite the fact that it's an inferior technology in almost every way I guess I won't be surprised. It won't be because it's the best tech it will be a political move and driven by greed. The average consumers won't know any better they will just go with the flow thinking they bought something better and greener then their ICEV. The smart people who do their research will realize FCEVs are a scam to keep the energy companies rich! Yeah, yeah....I know...I know conspiracy theory right? If you don't think money isn't the reason I'd like for you to tell me what other reason(s) this country would go with such an expensive, inefficient, inferior technology? What other motive is there to waste billions and billions of dollars building out a whole new H2 infrastructure in this country? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that it's in the energy companies best interest to keep their lucrative business model in place.

rcm4453 said:

If you feel this strongly about the futility of developing FCEVs, please forward this post to the managements
of; Toyota, Nissan, VW (VW - Audi - Porsche), BMW, Ford, & GM. Surely you can easily obtain a management consult
with a bargain fee of $250/hr, with this insightful perspective, with any one of automotive firms mentioned.
Better yet, direct your post to the DOE and the Obama Administration expressing your frustration with
the government's wasting of our tax dollars on subsidies for the development of FCEVs.

rcm4453 said:
All the links you post don't mean a thing, they don't disprove or discredit the 6 key points I made above.
Then feel free to ignore my posts. I've stated my rationale n times, and repeating it n+1 times isn't going to change anything, nor will you repeating your opinions; everything that can be said pro/con has been said many times already. Nothing anyone says in this little corner of the internet is going to affect the plans and policies of the governments and companies developing FCEVs and an H2 infrastructure (or BEVs/PEVs and their infrastructure; MNL had its 15 minutes of fame several years ago). As I wrote in an earlier post, I'm not going to waste any more time repeating the same arguments, which is why I'm limiting myself to posting news on this topic for those who may find it interesting (as well as I'm able; I'm getting better at not replying to posts I ordinarily would feel compelled to, but still have a way to go).

Via GCC:
DOE issues Request for Information on hydrogen storage for onboard vehicle applications
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160608-fcto.html

The US Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Fuel Cell Technologies Office (FCTO) has issued a request for information (RFI) (DE-FOA-0001596) to obtain feedback and input from stakeholders on strategies and potential pathways for cost reduction and performance improvements of composite overwrapped pressure vessel (COPV) systems for compressed hydrogen storage for onboard vehicle applications. The purpose of the RFI is to identify future strategic research and development pathways for the DOE to pursue with potential to meet future system cost targets.

Currently, carbon fiber (CF) reinforced polymer (CFRP) composites are used to make COPVs. Type III COPVs have a metallic liner and Type IV COPVs have non-metallic liners. COPVs designed to store hydrogen gas at pressures up to 700 bar are being deployed in fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) currently available on the market.

While 700 bar compressed hydrogen storage provides a near-term commercialization pathway, the performance of this storage technology falls short of the DOE onboard FCEV hydrogen storage targets, particularly for volumetric hydrogen energy density and system cost. That high cost is a barrier for widespread commercial deployment of light-duty FCEVs. . . .

While DOE recognizes the impact of balance of plant (BOP) on the overall system cost, the RFI is focused primarily on the COPV as it is believed that industry will be the primary driver in designing their own specific hydrogen storage system BOP. Improved designs, such as conformable designs, have potential to reduce costs by reducing the need for multi-tank systems. However, in order to achieve a significant cost reduction of onboard compressed hydrogen storage systems, the primary focus needs to be on the composite materials used in these systems. . . .

In addition to strategies to reduce cost, DOE is also requesting information on . . . design improvements with potential to lower cost of operation and improve performance of the refueling infrastructure (e.g., eliminate need for hydrogen pre-cooling) . . . .

lorenfb said:
rcm4453 said:

If you feel this strongly about the futility of developing FCEVs, please forward this post to the managements
of; Toyota, Nissan, VW (VW - Audi - Porsche), BMW, Ford, & GM. Surely you can easily obtain a management consult
with a bargain fee of $250/hr, with this insightful perspective, with any one of automotive firms mentioned.
Better yet, direct your post to the DOE and the Obama Administration expressing your frustration with
the government's wasting of our tax dollars on subsidies for the development of FCEVs.

Aww does it bother you that I voice my opinion and state facts about FCEVs? Why would I bother wasting my time with the automakers, DOE and the Obama Administration? They could care less what I or anyone else has to say on the matter. Besides, just because they say FCEVs are a good choice doesn't mean they are. They don't really care if FCEV tech is inefficient or inferior to anything else, all they care about is can they make them work as an ICEV replacement so it will be business as usual going forward. Apparently you're ok with this and that's fine. You state your opinions on here about it and so do I, so what.

rcm4453 said:
Aww does it bother you that I voice my opinion and state facts about FCEVs?

No it doesn't. And right, it's your opinion and your interpretation of the "facts", which typically occurs
on blogs. For some of us, we view the "facts" differently.

lorenfb said:
rcm4453 said:

No it doesn't. And right, it's your opinion and your interpretation of the "facts", which typically occurs

Facts are still facts no matter how they get interpreted. The facts that others and myself have posted on here regarding the shortcomings of FCEVs are what they are. The problem is you and GRA don't want to accept these facts. You guys are so quick to point out the flaws with BEVs though! At least I acknowledge the shortcomings with BEVs why can't you guys do the same with FCEVs?

rcm4453 said:
lorenfb said:
rcm4453 said:

Facts are still facts no matter how they get interpreted. The facts that others and myself have posted on here regarding the shortcomings of FCEVs are what they are. The problem is you and GRA don't want to accept these facts. You guys are so quick to point out the flaws with BEVs though! At least I acknowledge the shortcomings with BEVs why can't you guys do the same with FCEVs?
Speaking for myself, I've stated the shortcomings of FCEVs repeatedly, and have also said what improvements must occur before they can be commercially successful, which I don't expect for at least 5 years, more likely 10, and possibly much longer, if ever. I have also repeatedly stated that nothing guarantees the ultimate success of FCEVs, or BEVs, or any AFV. I have been a supporter of BEVs since the mid-'90s, and have repeatedly stated that they are superior to FCEVs in certain circumstances given current tech, but I'm not blind to their flaws; they too will need improvements in many of the same areas as FCEVs do, primarily price and performance compared to ICEs, to be commercially successful (which is to say, acceptable to the general public, and not needing direct government to customer subsidies to compete against ICEs).

My objection to your points is that you assume that the issues hindering the widespread adoption of BEVs are bound to be corrected, that it will unquestionably happen before the issues hindering FCEVs can be corrected, and that those issues hindering FCEVs that almost certainly can't be corrected (such as lower energy efficiency vs. BEVs) are enough to eliminate them from consideration, while the issues of BEVs that almost certainly can't be corrected (such as longer 'refueling' times) won't eliminate them. None of these assumptions are written in stone; the public gets a vote. It's in the assumptions made from the current facts, and the conclusions we each draw from them as to the most likely future developments and their pace, that lead to differing interpretations.

One last time: I believe that we should simultaneously pursue ANY AFV tech which has a reasonable chance of replacing fossil-fueled ICEs without direct subsidies, and which can do so using sustainably-produced energy; note that it isn't a requirement that they be 100% sustainable at the moment (none of them are in practice, although each of them can be). Right now, the three techs which I see have the potential of meeting the above criteria are BEVs, FCEVs, and ICEs using sustainable biofuels, and I believe we need to proceed with all three, until such time as one or more of them achieves commercial success as defined above, and we can completely replace fossil fuels. If one or more of them fails to achieve success, then we will have wasted some billions of dollars. I think the potential climate consequences of not getting off fossil-fuels are so dire that that level of potential waste is chicken feed in comparison, and will happily accept the cost.

In any case, I've been involved with RE long enough to know that it's extremely situationally dependent, and expect that some/all of these techs may be only partially successful and ultimately restricted to a niche, but that niche will be valuable. I think that's the most likely result for liquid biofuels, as that's almost certainly going to be needed for long-distance aviation, but there are probable limitations on the volume that can be produced that will prohibit its expansion to land/water transport. OTOH, tomorrow someone may invent something that changes that assessment.

In the interim, HEVs and PHEVs are the most cost-effective transition technologies for road vehicles that will give us the greatest reduction in GHGs/$. As it happens, much of the R&D for HEVs/PHEVs/BEVs/FCEVs applies to all of them, so even if one or more of them ultimately fail, a lot of the R&D won't be wasted.

Along that line, from
US DRIVE releases comprehensive cradle-to-grave analysis of light-duty vehicle GHGs, cost of driving and cost of avoided GHGs
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160609-usdrive.html

. . . Combining vehicle efficiency gains with low-carbon fuels, the GHG reductions generally more than double compared to vehicle gains alone. For example, gasoline ICEVs running on gasoline developed from pyrolysis of forest residues are modeled to have C2G GHG emissions of about 140 g CO2e/mi, while FCEVs running on hydrogen produced from biomass gasification have emissions of about 115 g CO2e/mi. BEVs running on wind electricity and FCEVs running on hydrogen from wind electricity have C2G GHG emissions of about 50 g CO2e/mi or less.
See the chart at http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01bb090eb395970d-popup

GRA said:

. . . BEVs running on wind electricity and FCEVs running on hydrogen from wind electricity have C2G GHG emissions of about 50 g CO2e/mi or less.
See the chart at http://bioage.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01bb090eb395970d-popup
You really have to wonder what these people are smoking. Talk about assuming unrealistic improvements. To get H2 FCVs anywhere close to that of BEVs, you will need to achieve near-ideal efficiencies of 120% for hydrolysis and 83% for the fuel cell as well as eliminating the massive losses associated with compression, expansion, cooling, etc. required for fueling the vehicles. Sorry, but since no solutions which achieve these levels exist in the lab or even in proposed technology, I wouldn't be at all surprised if NONE of these are solved in this century, if ever.

As of today, there is a 50:1 cost ratio for the fuels for renewable-fueled H2 FCVs versus BEVs. Sure, you can try to imagine that difference away, but that doesn't make it disappear.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:

. . . BEVs running on wind electricity and FCEVs running on hydrogen from wind electricity have C2G GHG emissions of about 50 g CO2e/mi or less.
You really have to wonder what these people are smoking. Talk about assuming unrealistic improvements. To get H2 FCVs anywhere close to that of BEVs, you will need to achieve near-ideal efficiencies of 120% for hydrolysis and 83% for the fuel cell as well as eliminating the massive losses associated with compression, expansion, cooling, etc. required for fueling the vehicles. Sorry, but since no solutions which achieve these levels exist in the lab or even in proposed technology, I wouldn't be at all surprised if NONE of these are solved in this century, if ever.

As of today, there is a 50:1 cost ratio for the fuels for renewable-fueled H2 FCVs versus BEVs. Sure, you can try to imagine that difference away, but that doesn't make it disappear.
Reg, I think you should email them and point out all the flaws in their methodology. I'm sure you must have read it all before reaching your conclusions, but on the off chance you didn't, here's the report itself (8.5Mb): file:///home/chronos/u-45ee52b134db40e848b38fe3739177d17760275d/Downloads/C2G_Report.pdf

or if that doesn't work, you can get there via the link at the bottom of this page: https://greet.es.anl.gov/publication-c2g-2016-report

The whole thing runs 168 pages plus 13 pages of cites, and I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Via GCC:
DOE issues request for information on medium- and heavy-duty fuel cell electric truck targets
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160610-fcto.html

The US Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Fuel Cell Technologies Office (FCTO) has issued a request for information (RFI) . . . to obtain feedback and opinions from truck operators, truck and storage tank manufacturers, fuel cell manufacturers, station equipment designers, and other related stakeholders on issues related to medium- and heavy-duty (MD and HD) fuel cell electric truck targets.

The MD/HD market spans multiple weight classes (i.e. class 3-8 or 10,000-80,000+ lbs.) and vocational uses (i.e. delivery van, tractor trailer, flatbed, etc.). Today, MD/HD trucks account for 28% of petroleum use in the US transportation sector, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).

A key activity within FCTO, with industry input, is setting technology targets for future years (e.g., 2020) based on what is required to be competitive with incumbent or other advanced technologies. These can then be used by stakeholders to help track performance and set technology benchmarks. Currently, FCTO has targets in several areas, including hydrogen production, delivery, storage, and fuel cells for light-duty vehicles. . . .

Also GCC:
Plug Power and HyGear partner to provide small-scale SMR hydrogen production technology to fuel cell system customers
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160610-plugpower.html

. . . The first deployments are scheduled to be installed in the fourth quarter of 2016 at a new site for one of Plug Power’s existing customers.

Hy.GEN is based on small-scale steam methane reforming (SMR). The small scale on-site hydrogen generation systems range from 5 Nm3/h up to 100 Nm3/h, making them suitable for use at industrial sites and hydrogen filling stations. Hy.GEN systems allow the option to use biogas for a “green” hydrogen solution. . . .

HyGear uses vacuum PSA technology. This is more energy and cost efficient than traditional gas separation systems, HyGear says. The PSA consists of four parallel active vessels, enabling a continuous cleaning process.

Re-using the waste gases and waste heat of the process optimizes the energy efficiency; no external fuel gases are needed for the reform reaction and steam generation. The off-gas from the PSA is used as input for the burner that provides heat for the reforming reaction. The residual heat is used for generating steam, which is mixed with natural gas for the steam reforming process. . . .

GRA said:
Reg, I think you should email them and point out all the flaws in their methodology.
GRA commits the Burden of Proof fallacy. No, the burden of proof for outlandish claims which are WAY outside the existing body of knowledge falls with those making the claims, not with those who eye it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
GRA said:
The whole thing runs 168 pages plus 13 pages of cites, and I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.
Gee, it MUST be accurate, then! :roll:

Back