Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bolding
GRA said:
Or are we talking about the current situation, where methane leakage from multiple sources is allowed to go unchecked? We all agree that IF methane is allowed to leak, that's a problem. The question is whether or not CCUS can reduce or eliminate that so that it's not a significant factor

Your ignorance is a sorry sight. CCS refers to CO2 capture during combustion. The overwhelming fraction of methane leaks are during extraction.

Is this why you cling to to such nonsense -- simple ignorance ?

SageBrush said:
My bolding
GRA said:
Or are we talking about the current situation, where methane leakage from multiple sources is allowed to go unchecked? We all agree that IF methane is allowed to leak, that's a problem. The question is whether or not CCUS can reduce or eliminate that so that it's not a significant factor

Your ignorance is a sorry sight.

Apparently the California Air Resources Board is also ignorant in thinking that it's possible to get to net-zero with methane:
California Air Resources Board data confirms that the annual average carbon intensity (CI) value of California’s bio-CNG vehicle fuel portfolio in its Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) program was carbon negative and below zero at -44.41 gCO2e/MJ for calendar year 2021.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/0 ... 4-rng.html

Maybe CARB are also industry shills. :lol: The question is whether something similar can be achieved with blue H2, minimizing methane leaks.

Also see:
Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) Guidance 19-05
Reporting and Recordkeeping for Natural Gas and
Book-and-Claim Accounting for Biomethane

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic/fuels/lcfs/guidance/lcfsguidance_19-05.pdf

and

LCFS Electricity and Hydrogen Provisions

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/documents/lcfs-electricity-and-hydrogen-provisions

GRA said:
Apparently the California Air Resources Board is also ignorant in thinking that it's possible to get to net-zero with methane:

You should actually read what you post. Methane pollution from extraction is not included in their inventories.
As for bio-methane credits -- LoL. Think Ethanol, only much worse

And yes -- there is no lack of CARB stupidity. Hydrogen and methane are two excellent examples

As for your new insight to do something 'similar' to CCUS for methane pollution -- absolutely. Leave it in the ground in the first place.
Genius, GRA -- genius.

WetEV said:
There is no net green hydrogen in Scotland, so what exactly is being done?
Replace coal/natural gas electric power first, far better.
If there is excess clean electricity in Scotland, I suspect it makes a lot more climate sense to just send it to England. But perhaps this is another ploy for hydrogen subsidy money.

SageBrush said:
WetEV said:
If there is excess clean electricity in Scotland, I suspect it makes a lot more climate sense to just send it to England. But perhaps this is another ploy for hydrogen subsidy money.

Scotland gets 14% of energy used from natural gas. Any hydrogen produced will just increase the natural gas used.

Calling it green is ignoring the wash.

But yes, I'm sure they get hydrogen subsidy money.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes GRA, please continue denying that you're not an industry shill.

Absent real evidence, please don't do this. You can make the same point without the hostility.

I've been civil with GRA before (pages and pages of it in this thread and the Toyota Mirai one). But his shameless plug of propaganda made me realize that he's either too dumb to be reasoned with or is carrying out an agenda. I merely gave him the benefit of the doubt by not assuming the former.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
WetEV said:

Scotland gets 14% of energy used from natural gas. Any hydrogen produced will just increase the natural gas used.

Calling it green is ignoring the wash.

But yes, I'm sure they get hydrogen subsidy money.
If it is correctly called 'green' hydrogen then it is made from electrolysis of water with renewable electricity. It is a fair guess that they are hoping to export it to England rather than consuming it locally because of subsidy.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:

You should actually read what you post. Methane pollution from extraction is not included in their inventories.
As for bio-methane credits -- LoL. Think Ethanol, only much worse

And yes -- there is no lack of CARB stupidity. Hydrogen and methane are two excellent examples

As for your new insight to do something 'similar' to CCUS for methane pollution -- absolutely. Leave it in the ground in the first place.
Genius, GRA -- genius.

I think you should offer CARB the benefits of your vast scientific knowledge, as it's obviously superior to theirs.

Meanwhile, just so you won't miss it, here's some of the latest company money going into hydrogen production tech, via GCC:
Bosch to begin developing electrolyzer components; [Euro] 500M investment by end of decade

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220505-bosch.html

Bosch is branching out into the development of components for electrolyzers, which use electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Ideally, the electricity for this purpose is generated from renewable sources such as wind or photovoltaic power, in which case the result is known as “green hydrogen”.

Drawing on its fuel cell expertise, Bosch will assign the development of electrolyzer components to the Mobility Solutions business sector, investing up to [Euro] 500 million in this venture by the end of the decade.

In light of energy diversification, the move away from fossil fuels, and the need to reduce CO2 emissions, demand for green hydrogen is growing rapidly—not only in energy-intensive industries such as steel, chemicals, and heavy-duty freight, but also in private real estate. According to the EU, demand is set to rise to some ten million metric tons a year by 2030.

Bosch forecasts that the global market for electrolyzer components will increase to a volume of around [Euro] 14 billion over the same period, with Europe set to see the highest rates of growth. To help business and society reduce dependency on fossil fuels and harness new forms of energy, Bosch intends to invest some [Euro] 3 billion in climate-neutral technology, such as electrification and hydrogen, over the next three years. . . .

Bosch is now planning to start volume production as quickly as possible at a number of European locations. These include Bamberg and Feuerbach (Germany), Tilburg (Netherlands), Linz (Austria), and Ceske Budejovice (Czech Republic).

Bosch firmly believes in hydrogen as a future fuel, and is also working on both stationary and mobile fuel cells. One intended use for the former is as small, on-site power plants for cities, data centers, shopping malls, business parks, and as charge spots for electric vehicles. Bosch plans to use mobile fuel cells to facilitate the climate-neutral shipping of goods and commodities, initially by truck. The company’s portfolio of vehicle-related products in this field ranges from individual sensors to core components such as the electric air compressor, the stack, and complete fuel-cell modules. Production is expected to start this year.

SageBrush said:
If it is correctly called 'green' hydrogen then it is made from electrolysis of water with renewable electricity. It is a fair guess that they are hoping to export it to England rather than consuming it locally because of subsidy.

Recently the UK has been burning more natural gas than usual to export electric power to EU. To cover Russian shortfalls.

LeftieBiker said:
We can think whatever we want about what we believe that we know about people. In the end, though, it's an opinion, not a fact.

Indeed. I may think that Oils4AsphaultOnly is blinded by Tesla worship to the point that he's unable to objectively evaluate anything related to them, but that's just my opinion, not a fact, and I choose to continue to engage with him civilly. ;)

GRA said:
I think you should offer CARB the benefits of your vast scientific knowledge, as it's obviously superior to theirs.

No, but I do have distinct advantages: I do not pander to social agendas; and I am not influenced by litigation or special interests or politicians.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:

No, but I do have distinct advantages: I do not pander to social agendas; and I am not influenced by litigation or special interests or politicians.

I could make the same claim. The question is how accurate that claim is for each of us.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:

I could make the same claim. The question is how accurate that claim is for each of us.

In your case, highly inaccurate. You pander to 'social justice' AKA welfare or wealth distribution agendas, and you are woefully ignorant of the most basic concepts of clean energy, NG, methane, and AGW. And you spew green-washing like a most active shill bot.

I know you are, but what am I? Really, you seem to be incapable of engaging in civil discourse, but instead prefer to engage in childish name-calling. I could refute each of your 'points', but it's just not worth wasting any more of my time. People can reach their own conclusions.

Occasionally I post links to articles reporting work at the lab research stage, just to show the sort of things that are being studied. As with all lab results, commercialization is highly uncertain, and years away if it should happen.

All GCC:
Kobe team’s hematite mesocrystal photocatalyst simultaneously produces hydrogen and hydrogen peroxide

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220502-kobe.html

Using a hematite photocatalyst, a team led by researchers from Kobe University has succeeded in producing both hydrogen gas and hydrogen peroxide at the same time from sunlight and water. An open-access paper on the work is published in Nature Communications.

Hydrogen has gained attention as one of the possible next generation energy sources. Ideally, photocatalysts could use sunlight and water to produce hydrogen, however it is necessary to achieve a conversion rate of 10% to enable such a system to be adopted industrially. It has been pointed out that even if this efficiency is achieved, the cost of hydrogen will not reach the desired value.

To overcome these issues, there is strong demand for the development of a competitive next-generation solar water-splitting system with high added value that can produce other useful chemicals at the same time as hydrogen.

In previous research, Associate Professor TACHIKAWA Takashi and colleagues at Kobe developed “mesocrystal technology”, which involves precisely aligning nanoparticles in photocatalysts to control the flow of electrons and their holes. Recently, they have succeeded in increasing the light energy conversion efficiency by applying this technology to hematite (alpha-Fe2O3), an iron oxide that in addition to being safe, inexpensive and stable (pH > 3), can absorb a wide range of visible light (approx. under 600nm).

Up until now, hematite has not been applied to the production of hydrogen peroxide. In this new study, the researchers discovered that by modifying the surface of the hematite with a composite oxide of tin and titanium ions it was possible to produce both hydrogen and hydrogen peroxide in a highly efficient and selective manner.

Associate Professor Tachikawa and colleagues found that by preparing electrodes with mesocrystals doped with two different metal ions (tin and titanium) and sintering it, it was possible to produce hydrogen peroxide as well as hydrogen safely, cheaply and stably. Hydrogen peroxide is used for many purposes including disinfecting, bleaching and soil improvement.

The research group’s next aim is to implement this technology. While continuing to improve the high efficiency of the developed photocatalyst electrode, they will try to assemble the cells into a compact module as a step towards societal implementation. They also plan to develop this mesocrystal technology with various materials and reaction systems. . . .

NREL scientists advance solar thermochemical hydrogen (STCH) production

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220506-nrel.html

Perovskite materials may hold the potential to play an important role in a process to produce hydrogen in a renewable manner, according to an analysis from scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL).

Hydrogen has emerged as an important carrier to store energy generated by renewable resources, as a substitute for fossil fuels used for transportation, in the production of ammonia, and for other industrial applications. Key to the successful use of hydrogen as a fuel is being able to meet the Department of Energy’s Hydrogen Energy Earthshot—a recently announced goal to cut the cost of clean hydrogen by 80% to $1 per kilogram in a decade.

The NREL scientists analyzed solar thermochemical hydrogen (STCH) production, which can be potentially more energy-efficient than producing hydrogen via the commonly used electrolysis method. Electrolysis needs electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. STCH relies on a two-step chemical process in which metal oxides are exposed to temperatures greater than 1,400 degrees Celsius and then re-oxidized with steam at lower temperatures to produce hydrogen. . . .

The paper complements ongoing materials discovery research by looking at the system-level design and techno-economic analysis for integrating possible materials into a solar-fuel platform and supporting the Department of Energy’s HydroGEN program. The material discovery in the HydroGEN program involved machine learning, defect calculations, and experimental work to develop new perovskite materials. The researchers need to identify perovskites capable of handling the high temperatures required while hitting performance targets.

This work shows part of a portfolio of techno-economic analysis focused on hydrogen production pathways each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Electrolysis, for example, is commercially available and the electricity required can come from photovoltaics (PV). The PV cells used, however, only capture a section of the solar spectrum. STCH uses the entire spectrum. The concentrated solar thermal power enables STCH to create the chemical reaction.

Active research to identify the best materials for the STCH process is critical to the success of this method for hydrogen production, the scientists noted.

This research is funded by the Department of Energy’s Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies Office.

Researchers use sodium to deliver low-cost MgSi alloys for solid-state hydrogen storage

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220509-mgsi.html

Researchers at the University of Queensland have show that a low-cost Mg-based hydrogen storage alloy is possible with only 1 wt% Si. A high hydrogen capacity of 6.72 wt% hydrogen is achieved via trace sodium (Na) addition. A paper on their work is published in the Journal of Power Sources.

Mg2Si is a promising catalyst for Mg-based hydrogen storage materials due to its low cost, light weight, and non-toxic properties. The researchers investigated the effects of Na in hypo-eutectic Mg-1wt.%Si alloys for hydrogen storage applications.

They found that the addition of trace amounts of Na is vital in improving the hydrogen sorption kinetics, achieving a H2 storage capacity of 6.72 wt.% at 350 °C under 2 MPa, compared to 0.31 wt.% in the non-Na added alloy. . . .

Both GCC:
IAEA to develop roadmap for commercial deployment of nuclear hydrogen

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220509-iaea.html

Currently, hydrogen is used in industrial processes ranging from producing synthetic fuels and petrochemicals to manufacturing semiconductors and powering fuel cell electric vehicles. In order to decrease the environmental impact of the annual production of over 70 million tonnes of hydrogen, some countries are looking to renewables such as solar and wind as well as nuclear power as a replacement for fossil fuels.

To speed up greening of the emerging hydrogen economy, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)— the world’s central intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical co-operation in the nuclear field—last month launched an initiative to develop a roadmap for the commercial deployment of hydrogen production using nuclear energy.

The initiative brings together decision makers, designers, project managers and operators to share the latest advances in national strategies and technologies and to identify technical readiness for different technologies of hydrogen production using nuclear energy. . . .

Today the vast majority of hydrogen needed across industries is manufactured using fossil fuel technologies (primarily natural gas), but nuclear energy has the potential to deliver both the electricity and the heat needed for hydrogen production in a sustainable, low carbon and cost-effective manner However, several challenges related to technology, economics, safety and licensability, as well as policy support and stakeholder involvement need to be addressed over the next decade, demonstrating feasibility and allowing the shift to commercial scale production, if nuclear is to play a role in the production of hydrogen for the clean energy transition.

—Alina Constantin, an IAEA nuclear engineer and co-leader of the project

Producing clean hydrogen using nuclear power has historically faced cost barriers, but that is now changing amid a global energy crisis making fossil fuels significantly more expensive and their global supply less secure.

A recent IAEA FRAMES modeling analysis found that when natural gas prices rise above $20 per million British thermal units (BTUs), the optimal method of hydrogen production is electrolysis powered by a mix of nuclear and renewables. (In the European Union, natural gas has been recently trading at around $30 per million BTUs.)

The analysis also found that hydrogen production powered by heat from advanced technologies such as high temperature gas cooled reactors (HTGRs) was highly competitive in those price scenarios. HTGRs are under development in several countries and prototypes are already operating in China and Japan.

—Francesco Ganda, the IAEA Technical Lead for Non-Electric Applications and lead author of the analysis

Interest in clean hydrogen is growing across the world, with specific interest in using nuclear power. Some 28 countries and four international organizations joined the IAEA roadmap initiative at its launch in Vienna last month to discuss their nuclear hydrogen plans or projects. These include demonstrations of hydrogen production using existing reactors as well as plans using advanced reactors such as small modular reactors to increase efficiency and allow for scaling up production.

In India, the government this year announced a commercial hydrogen roadmap with a focus on renewable- and biomass-derived hydrogen. But since the demand for hydrogen is expected to rise fivefold by the mid-2030s, studies and research are being carried out to develop a business case to include nuclear in the country’s system for producing low carbon hydrogen.

US Department of Energy assessments suggest that hydrogen demand could rise tenfold from the current volume, with nuclear energy potentially producing up to 15% of this total demand.

The future hydrogen economy is also a hot topic in the European Union. However, while there is a push from some countries for producing electrolysed hydrogen using low carbon technologies, the case for nuclear may be hampered by EU investment guidelines that label nuclear energy as a transition technology.

—Andrei Goicea, Policy Director of FORATOM, the trade association representing the European nuclear industry. . . .

Geely launches Methanol Hybrid Emgrand in China market

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220509-geely.html

. . . Previous generation methanol vehicles faced difficulties with cold starts but with Geely Auto’s NordThor Power (previously called Leishen Power) hybrid technology and the latest generation methanol powertrains, issues with extreme cold environment performance have been eliminated, the company said.

The hybrid houses a 1.8L naturally aspirated methanol engine (also used in the non-hybrid version) providing 97kW (130HP) of power and 175 N·m of max torque together with an electric motor providing 100kW (134HP) of power and 320 N·m for a combined 272kW (364HP) and 495 N·m of torque.

The engine and powerful e-motor are connected to a 3-speed Dedicated Hybrid Transmission (DHT) Pro which provides increased efficiency at low speeds by propelling the vehicle with pure electric power, ensures smooth cruising by utilizing the engine as a range-extender with e-motor powering the wheels, and provides bursts of power for high-speed overtakes with a transmission gear ratio that provides up to 4920 N·m of output torque.

Acting as a range extender at lower speeds and only sending power to the wheels at high speeds allows the 1.8L methanol engine to operate at peak efficiency and lower emissions. From 0-100km/s takes 8.8 seconds and traveling 100km consumes roughly 9L (WLTP) of methanol.

Geely Holding Group is the largest developer and producer of methanol vehicles in the world. In addition to the methanol hybrid and sedan, Geely Commercial Vehicles has produced the Farizon M100 heavy truck, which has passed “China VI” emissions standards.

GRA said:
Both GCC:
IAEA to develop roadmap for commercial deployment of nuclear hydrogen

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220509-iaea.html

Currently, hydrogen is used in industrial processes ranging from producing synthetic fuels and petrochemicals to manufacturing semiconductors and powering fuel cell electric vehicles. In order to decrease the environmental impact of the annual production of over 70 million tonnes of hydrogen, some countries are looking to renewables such as solar and wind as well as nuclear power as a replacement for fossil fuels.

To speed up greening of the emerging hydrogen economy, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)— the world’s central intergovernmental forum for scientific and technical co-operation in the nuclear field—last month launched an initiative to develop a roadmap for the commercial deployment of hydrogen production using nuclear energy.

The initiative brings together decision makers, designers, project managers and operators to share the latest advances in national strategies and technologies and to identify technical readiness for different technologies of hydrogen production using nuclear energy. . . .

Today the vast majority of hydrogen needed across industries is manufactured using fossil fuel technologies (primarily natural gas), but nuclear energy has the potential to deliver both the electricity and the heat needed for hydrogen production in a sustainable, low carbon and cost-effective manner However, several challenges related to technology, economics, safety and licensability, as well as policy support and stakeholder involvement need to be addressed over the next decade, demonstrating feasibility and allowing the shift to commercial scale production, if nuclear is to play a role in the production of hydrogen for the clean energy transition.

—Alina Constantin, an IAEA nuclear engineer and co-leader of the project

Producing clean hydrogen using nuclear power has historically faced cost barriers, but that is now changing amid a global energy crisis making fossil fuels significantly more expensive and their global supply less secure.

A recent IAEA FRAMES modeling analysis found that when natural gas prices rise above $20 per million British thermal units (BTUs), the optimal method of hydrogen production is electrolysis powered by a mix of nuclear and renewables. (In the European Union, natural gas has been recently trading at around $30 per million BTUs.)

The analysis also found that hydrogen production powered by heat from advanced technologies such as high temperature gas cooled reactors (HTGRs) was highly competitive in those price scenarios. HTGRs are under development in several countries and prototypes are already operating in China and Japan.

—Francesco Ganda, the IAEA Technical Lead for Non-Electric Applications and lead author of the analysis

Interest in clean hydrogen is growing across the world, with specific interest in using nuclear power. Some 28 countries and four international organizations joined the IAEA roadmap initiative at its launch in Vienna last month to discuss their nuclear hydrogen plans or projects. These include demonstrations of hydrogen production using existing reactors as well as plans using advanced reactors such as small modular reactors to increase efficiency and allow for scaling up production.

In India, the government this year announced a commercial hydrogen roadmap with a focus on renewable- and biomass-derived hydrogen. But since the demand for hydrogen is expected to rise fivefold by the mid-2030s, studies and research are being carried out to develop a business case to include nuclear in the country’s system for producing low carbon hydrogen.

US Department of Energy assessments suggest that hydrogen demand could rise tenfold from the current volume, with nuclear energy potentially producing up to 15% of this total demand.

The future hydrogen economy is also a hot topic in the European Union. However, while there is a push from some countries for producing electrolysed hydrogen using low carbon technologies, the case for nuclear may be hampered by EU investment guidelines that label nuclear energy as a transition technology.

—Andrei Goicea, Policy Director of FORATOM, the trade association representing the European nuclear industry. . . .

Geely launches Methanol Hybrid Emgrand in China market

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/05/20220509-geely.html

. . . Previous generation methanol vehicles faced difficulties with cold starts but with Geely Auto’s NordThor Power (previously called Leishen Power) hybrid technology and the latest generation methanol powertrains, issues with extreme cold environment performance have been eliminated, the company said.

The hybrid houses a 1.8L naturally aspirated methanol engine (also used in the non-hybrid version) providing 97kW (130HP) of power and 175 N·m of max torque together with an electric motor providing 100kW (134HP) of power and 320 N·m for a combined 272kW (364HP) and 495 N·m of torque.

The engine and powerful e-motor are connected to a 3-speed Dedicated Hybrid Transmission (DHT) Pro which provides increased efficiency at low speeds by propelling the vehicle with pure electric power, ensures smooth cruising by utilizing the engine as a range-extender with e-motor powering the wheels, and provides bursts of power for high-speed overtakes with a transmission gear ratio that provides up to 4920 N·m of output torque.

Acting as a range extender at lower speeds and only sending power to the wheels at high speeds allows the 1.8L methanol engine to operate at peak efficiency and lower emissions. From 0-100km/s takes 8.8 seconds and traveling 100km consumes roughly 9L (WLTP) of methanol.

Geely Holding Group is the largest developer and producer of methanol vehicles in the world. In addition to the methanol hybrid and sedan, Geely Commercial Vehicles has produced the Farizon M100 heavy truck, which has passed “China VI” emissions standards.

Hey Mr. Copper Shots, turn on your brain a little and understand the articles you've linked to. Both are simply distractions and wastes of time and resources as they are inherently self-contradictory and run counter to the desired outcome of reducing the use of fossil fuels, namely the reduction of global warming.

Case in point (first article):
"Today the vast majority of hydrogen needed across industries is manufactured using fossil fuel technologies (primarily natural gas), but nuclear energy has the potential to deliver both the electricity and the heat needed for hydrogen production in a sustainable, low carbon and cost-effective manner"

nuclear might be zero CO2 emissions, but it leaves behind radioactive waste that has to be securely stored for centuries. That's why people all over the world have been pushing to decommission existing nuclear power plants. That makes Francesco Ganda's analysis myopic, since nuclear power is neither sustainable, nor cost-effective.

And the second article is about using methanol in a combustion engine. How is that anywhere near a step towards the goal?

For a site called "Green Car Congress", they sure do highlight a large amount of pointless efforts. You should read from cleantechnica, or insideevs, or even electrek for more useful content.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
[Snip]

Hey Mr. Copper Shots, turn on your brain a little and understand the articles you've linked to. Both are simply distractions and wastes of time and resources as they are inherently self-contradictory and run counter to the desired outcome of reducing the use of fossil fuels, namely the reduction of global warming.

Case in point (first article):
"Today the vast majority of hydrogen needed across industries is manufactured using fossil fuel technologies (primarily natural gas), but nuclear energy has the potential to deliver both the electricity and the heat needed for hydrogen production in a sustainable, low carbon and cost-effective manner"

nuclear might be zero CO2 emissions, but it leaves behind radioactive waste that has to be securely stored for centuries. That's why people all over the world have been pushing to decommission existing nuclear power plants. That makes Francesco Ganda's analysis myopic, since nuclear power is neither sustainable, nor cost-effective.

And the second article is about using methanol in a combustion engine. How is that anywhere near a step towards the goal?

For a site called "Green Car Congress", they sure do highlight a large amount of pointless efforts. You should read from cleantechnica, or insideevs, or even electrek for more useful content.

Nukes are going to be around a long time, even assuming that we'll eventually be able to do without them, which is by no means clear. Many countries simply don't have the RE, so will be dependent on others if they're willing to be so dependent.

I belong to the breed of environmentalists known as eco-pragmatists. While I'd certainly prefer a world without fission nukes, given the choice between nukes or coal and natural gas for baseline electricity, I'll take nukes hand-down. Germany's panic decision after Chernobyl to decommission their nukes and keep their coal plants not only increased the amount of coal used to generate electricity, it also made them more dependent on Russian natural gas.

Long-term storage of radioactive waste is an issue, but not an insurmountable one, especially if we move to fast-burn reactors. They produce a much smaller quantity of high-level waste, which is far more radioactive than the current tech leaves, but also decays much faster, so that it's safe after maybe 500 years instead of tens of thousands. Let's talk worst case: the UN, having done a long-term epidemiological study, calculated that Chernobyl would ultimately cause an extra 4,000 deaths. You can find much higher claims, albeit with much less scientific rigor, such as this one: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...rnationally,result of the radiation exposure.

For the sake of argument, let's say that Chernobyl, an unsafe reactor design operated incredibly stupidly with safeguards disabled, will over time ultimately result in 1,000,000 extra deaths worldwide, far above the levels even in the above article. Sounds horrific, right? Ban nukes!

But keep coal and NG instead?
Coal is responsible for over 800,000 premature deaths _per year_ [emphasis added] globally and many millions more serious and minor illnesses. In China alone, around 670,000 people die prematurely per year as a result of coal-related air pollution.
Natural gas also has both GHG and local air pollution effects. How about annual air pollution deaths from all fossil fuels? Various studies are cited here; some include both anthopogenous and natural sources, others only Anthropogenous ones: https://ourworldindata.org/data-rev... that the death,fifth of all deaths globally.

Here's one:
WHO: 4.2 million premature deaths per year due to outdoor air pollution from anthropogenic and natural sources
The WHO estimates that 4.2 million die prematurely every year as the result of exposure to outdoor (or ambient) air pollution. As of November 2021 this is the latest WHO estimates of air pollution’s death toll and it refers to the year 2016.

The 4.2 million deaths from outdoor air pollution are premature deaths “due to exposure to fine particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5)”. The WHO does not include the deaths caused by other air pollutants (such as ozone) and it should therefore be considered to be a somewhat conservative figure.6

The outdoor air pollution considered by the WHO stems from both natural (such as dust from deserts) and anthropogenic sources.7

How about just anthropogenous air pollution?
The study by Vohra et al. (2021) suggests that the death toll from outdoor air pollution caused by fossil fuels is much higher than other studies suggest. They estimate that 8.7 million deaths globally in 2018 were due to the air pollution caused by burning fossil fuels.10 8.7 million premature deaths are almost one-fifth of all deaths globally. The uncertainty intervals in this study are extremely high.

The authors only focus on particulate matter exposure; other pollutants (including ozone) are not considered.

Much of the paper focuses on estimates for the year 2012 for which the authors estimate a global death toll of 10.2 million premature deaths. The authors explain that the death toll has declined between 2012 and 2018; they attribute this to a decline in pollution in China.

The authors arrive at their very high estimate because they rely on a concentration-response function (CRF) that is different from the CRF in previous studies. This new CRF is taken from a recently published meta-analysis of long-term PM2.5 mortality association by Vodonos et al (2018).11

That's the highest estimate I've seen, so for the sake of argument let's assume 1 million deaths/year from air pollution by burning fossil fuels. So you tell me, given the above ANNUAL death toll vs. my Chernobyl estimate/WAG of 1 million total deaths ultimately over time, which poses the greater risk, continued use of nukes to make electricity until (if) we can ultimately do without them, or using fossil fuels instead?

Some other Eco-pragmatists views of electricity from nuclear fission, quoted in David Mackay's "Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air:

We made the mistake of lumping nuclear energy in with nuclear weapons, as if all things nuclear were evil. I think that’s as big a mistake as if you lumped nuclear medicine in with nuclear weapons.

Patrick Moore,
former Director of Greenpeace International
https://www.withouthotair.com/c24/page_161.shtml

Mackay also quoted James Lovelock in "The Revenge of Gaia" in favor of nukes in the book, at least for the mid-term, but I keep getting SQL errors so can't quote it. You'll find the quote here: https://www.withouthotair.com/c1/page_2.shtml

Or you can read his original 2004 op/ed here: http://www.jameslovelock.org/nuclear-power-is-the-only-green-solution/

Given the large increase in both PV and wind in the past decade, whether Lovelock has altered his views on nukes since he first expressed them in 2004 I couldn't say. As fossil fuel use has also increased over that period, I doubt it, and judging by this 2019 interview he's still in favor of nukes: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...nuclear-power-and-if-ai-can-stop-warming.html

Mackay quotes people on both sides of that and other environmental debates. I strongly recommend that anyone interested in RE read this book, and you can do so for free online or as a download: https://www.withouthotair.com/

Oh, one more, not from Mackay:
Stewart Brand’s Strange Trip: Whole Earth to Nuclear Power

When the founder of the Whole Earth Catalog embraces nuclear power, genetically engineered crops, and geoengineering schemes to cool the planet, you know things have changed in the environmental movement. In an interview with Yale Environment 360, Stewart Brand explains how the passage of four decades — and the advent of global warming — have shifted his thinking about what it means to be green.
https://e360.yale.edu/features/stewart_brands_strange_trip_whole_earth_to_nuclear_power

Back