I-KEY SYSTEM FAULT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrouk said:
I’ve never plugged in an obd. I want to but the things I have read have put me off. I have an iPhone so can’t use the leaf spy app.
I'm not sure what you read that "put you off", but plugging in an ODB-II dongle doesn't have a risk. And LeafSpyPro is supported on the iPhone (search the app store).

jlv said:
Mrouk said:
I’ve never plugged in an obd. I want to but the things I have read have put me off. I have an iPhone so can’t use the leaf spy app.
I'm not sure what you read that "put you off", but plugging in an ODB-II dongle doesn't have a risk. And LeafSpyPro is supported on the iPhone (search the app store).

There is one version of the Konwei (IIRC) that can damage the car.

Is this one ok?

87747-CA6-D703-4-A87-9-A28-EC7-BF6-D8-C650.jpg

Or can anyone recommend which one to get?

The leafspypro app says to use a Bluetooth plug, but what I have read on other apps is to use a wifi one?

I have a wifi odb reader from my old car.

7063-CDAD-A99-C-445-B-A380-70307-D4-B5-DE5.jpg

I managed to connect to it, but leafspypro couldn’t read anything. Just kept stayed orange and cycling:

7-BC06634-9204-470-D-9-E84-D5-E615-A7262-E.png

The Bluetooth plug wouldn’t even connect. And slightly odd is that although I could connect to the wifi plug, the wifi led didn’t light up on it.

So I can’t seem to read any data to help with my problems.

Is there a way to reset the system other than taking the battery off? As that seems to make no difference.

The one in my signature works. One of yours may also work. IIRC the bad one is a Konwei.

Is there a way to reset the system other than taking the battery off? As that seems to make no difference.

Yes, but it's...LeafSpy. Are you trying to connect with the car On or Off? The car must be started after the port reader is connected.

Some folks find it easier to get a cheap android device to just use with the car and OBDII, like a used one at the thrift store or on craigslist.

nlspace said:
Some folks find it easier to get a cheap android device to just use with the car and OBDII, like a used one at the thrift store or on craigslist.

You can get a brand new smartphone for $30. And there is no need to register it - the WiFi or Bluetooth is all that's needed.

I tried it with the car on (I can’t turn the car off!) and the obd readers are getting power as the power led’s light up, just not the wifi led.

Maybe they aren’t compatible with the app.

I have ordered the obd reader that the app recommends so will see what can be read with that tomorrow.

alozzy said:
Sounds like your 12V battery voltage is low, that's typically what causes the I-KEY errors.

Everything I read pointed toward that, but It’s a 2 month old battery and I have taken it out and recharged it.

Ok, so the new Bluetooth obd reader works. This is what leafspypro is telling me.

B49644-A5-0142-4-BAD-BBA3-54546-C342934.png

3-FF5-E330-D1-D1-429-A-9-F03-DE2-FB354-EAC0.png

80-B9-FFBD-01-F6-4219-A488-9-A18-A31-F25-A0.png

AEA8-D63-B-97-C1-48-A9-B22-A-C39945123-FBA.png

53-A382-D3-C7-C6-4-CB7-97-AC-949-BF9-BE03-D5.png

64-C1-C983-4-D4-C-4284-AC95-EEEDC83-F261-E.png

Can anyone tell me what my problem is? Should I just reset all the DTCs and see what happens?

Also be sure to clean the 12V battery terminals. Having a fully charged battery won't help if there is significant voltage drop there due to a dirty or poor connection.

Charged the battery. 13.19v out of the car. 12.8v in the car.

Cleared all the codes.

This one won’t clear:

5750-DE12-A5-AA-4-A7-E-8-EEF-5-D68-E9057-F47.png

Then they all come back once i try to press the ignition button to see if it will turn off (it won’t)!

Car won’t even turn off with the battery disconnected now! It will drive though!!! So having to leave it on overnight with the lights on too. Hope my neighbours don’t get too annoyed.

So I found these threads here:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/leaf-wouldnt-start-or-shut-down-fault-found-and-cured.22453/page-3

Which is exactly the problem I have and they say it is either the BCM or the ignition relays. The relays make sense to me. I have found where they are (there are 2 labelled as ignition) but I can’t take them out to see if it turns the car off as you need a relay puller to do it. So Amazon prime to the rescue again and I will try tomorrow...

LeftieBiker said:
Be careful! Even though you will probably only be working with 13 volts, you don't want to burn out other systems.

Be careful of pulling the relays? Not sure what else I can do at this point?

Is there any other way of trying to turn the car off?

Or do you mean be careful because the car is still on and I might short something?

Back