I went to a self-serve car wash... Bad idea.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampitupco

Somehow I was able to strip off about a 3 inch strip of paint from the front. It just came off like I was using a power washer or something. I've washed many-a-car at the self serve and never had this happen before.

ARG!

Attachments

• Photo Oct 10, 11 53 18.jpg
    Photo Oct 10, 11 53 18.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 351
ampitupco said:
Somehow I was able to strip off about a 3 inch strip of paint from the front. It just came off like I was using a power washer or something. I've washed many-a-car at the self serve and never had this happen before.
Wow. So what actually caused this? Was it when you were rinsing with the water? or did the brush do this? Is it possible the paint was just weak in that spot to begin with and this was the threshold needed to rip it off?

adric22 said:
ampitupco said:
Wow. So what actually caused this? Was it when you were rinsing with the water? or did the brush do this? Is it possible the paint was just weak in that spot to begin with and this was the threshold needed to rip it off?

I was using the high pressure soap, at a slight angle, to get the bugs off. Looking at the image, I was moving from left to right and you can see a round area where there was a bug. Once he came off he took all that paint with him.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i have done the same thing several times. no issues here
Huh? I hope you meant to say "Nothing new here".

I've never had something like this happen to a modern vehicle that wasn't rusting under the paint or damaged in some way. It may be a known issue on MNL, but is most certainly a quality problem worthy of JD Power or Consumer Reports citing.

padamson1 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I've never had something like this happen to a modern vehicle that wasn't rusting under the paint or damaged in some way. It may be a known issue on MNL, but is most certainly a quality problem worthy of JD Power or Consumer Reports citing.
I think he meant he self service washes (or equivalent) and didn't have an issue like this. Not that this is a common issue on the LEAF.

No problems here, either. Our white paint has survived jet washing, but we do have typical rock nicks.

I meant exactly what I said. I have done what the OP has done several times and have never had a paint peeling issue. Now the obvious; your paint job is defective. Take it to your dealer to get it fixed

padamson1 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I have seen that sort of thing on a couple of other vehicles. In the few cases I have seen, there was some foreign material on the metal so the primer and finish paint did not adhere properly. It is clearly a factory defect.

Gerry

ampitupco said:
Just got word that Nissan is going to cover this repair under warranty.

well that is no surprise...but still hard not to hold one's breath as least a little.

and this issue has NOTHING to do with the quality of the paint or how thickly the paint is applied. it is a factory defect. nothing more

grommet said:
ksnogas2112 said:
Glad to see the update. Is it a touch up or drop the battery and repaint and bake?
The bumper covers come off... it can be painted and baked off the car. This is the norm.

Winner winner. They are pulling the front fascia and doing it off the car.

Back