I won my BBB Autoline arbitration and I'm new to replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms

I've been quiet about this while it was going on but I'm getting worried. I don't know how this part of the procedure works.

I submitted a lemon law claim to the BBB Autoline and I won the arbitration. The issue was the OBC malfunctioning. I requested a replacement. So Nissan is going to replace it but....
The one I have now is black and they are telling me to choose between silver and white and not giving me any other information other than it is a similar vehicle. I've requested more information but I can't seem to find any information as to how this procedure is supposed to work. From the few cases I could find online the owners were typically given some latitude in picking the vehicle. But I get the feeling like I'm about to get boned here.

So is this supposed to work and am I about to get boned?

I originally wanted black but I got silver, like the silver much more now. It blends in with the clear lights and is very shinny and doesn't show the dirt as much as black.

If it makes you feel better, Nissan Canada considers black the MY13 "base" color and you have to pay extra if you want white, silver, or anything else.

jms said:
I've been quiet about this while it was going on but I'm getting worried. I don't know how this part of the procedure works.

I submitted a lemon law claim to the BBB Autoline and I won the arbitration. The issue was the OBC malfunctioning. I requested a replacement. So Nissan is going to replace it but....
The one I have now is black and they are telling me to choose between silver and white and not giving me any other information other than it is a similar vehicle. I've requested more information but I can't seem to find any information as to how this procedure is supposed to work. From the few cases I could find online the owners were typically given some latitude in picking the vehicle. But I get the feeling like I'm about to get boned here.

So is this supposed to work and am I about to get boned?

what ist he OBC?

I've asked for more information. I just want to make sure I'm going to be happy since I'm still making lease payments. I really have no idea how this replacement works since most people do a buyback.

jms said:
The issue was the OBC malfunctioning. I requested a replacement. So Nissan is going to replace it but....
The one I have now is black and they are telling me to choose between silver and white and not giving me any other information other than it is a similar...
I didn't know the OBC came in different colors. ;)

Stoaty said:
jms said:
The issue was the OBC malfunctioning. I requested a replacement. So Nissan is going to replace it but....
The one I have now is black and they are telling me to choose between silver and white and not giving me any other information other than it is a similar...
I didn't know the OBC came in different colors. ;)

It apparently comes in Lemon Yellow!

I'd push back. Insist on inspecting the vehicle before approving the replacement. I can't see how they can be allowed to just force whatever they want down your throat.

I've asked for the statement of amounts and for more information about the cars. They are 2013 models but I don't know what model (S,SV,SL) mine is currently an SL so I would assume an SL but you know what they say about assumptions. The woman I am talking to is very careful with the legal talk which makes me very nervous. Though she is very good at it. All she will say is equivalent value, but not what that is or when that is.

I've been quiet because I thought that any extra commenting out there could only work against me. So I stopped using twitter and posting anything about it on facebook, and here.

+1

They can't just give you anything they like. What does your lemon law allow?

Any '12 SL with less miles, or a newer model SV or SL would be OK with me. I'd rather have a working car for the rest of my lease than my exact color choice.

So, what's the OBC story, did they replace it three times?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Any '12 SL with less miles, or a newer model SV or SL would be OK with me.
Not me. Less miles means very little when it comes to battery health. Considering that Nissan has been repurchasing some cars with serious battery degradation in hot climates, I would not just want to get any LEAF they wanted to dump. Can you imagine having a car with a problematic charger replaced with one that had 30% less range?

jms said:
... They are 2013 models but I don't know what model (S,SV,SL) mine is currently an SL so I would assume an SL but you know what they say about assumptions. The woman I am talking to is very careful with the legal talk which makes me very nervous. Though she is very good at it. All she will say is equivalent value, but not what that is or when that is.
You need the details, don't make any assumptions.
There are significant important differences on the 2013 S / SV / SL models.
According to last Saturday's discussions with Nissan in Phoenix, the 2013 battery chemistry may be slightly better than 2012.
If you're getting a 2013 SV or SL that includes the heat pump heater and the 6 kW on board charger those are significant improvements over your 2012 SL. But you need to make sure the 2013 battery capacity is good, that you're not getting a 2013 lemon. A 2013 S is not as good as your 2012 SL in my opinion, but depending on how Nissan is defining "equivalent value" they might be claiming it is.

It has to be a like vehicle with the same options they do not have to color match, so it is a 2013 SL and it is either white or silver. I went with silver.
Who knows maybe the color will grow on me. I understand why people do a repurchase rather than a replacement though. I'm getting the details later in the week but it looks like I go down to my dealer and swap cars and do some paperwork. That's it. (at least that's my understanding so far)

I don't know the details on the BBB procedure or your local Lemon Law, but for arbitration in general any questions about the arbitrator's award can be referred back to the arbitrator, who would then clarify. Arbitrators are generally like God - they can order whatever they think is right even if it is not consistent with statutes, and there is no appeal.

jms said:
It has to be a like vehicle with the same options they do not have to color match, so it is a 2013 SL and it is either white or silver. I went with silver.
You may lose your back-up camera in this deal (or you may not). Otherwise, it sounds like a decent trade.

jms said:
Who knows maybe the color will grow on me.

Congrats on a good outcome.

Maybe this will help:?

http://www.geoffsdavis.net/colorizer/colored_leaves.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's always the paint shop. ;)

I think if they've got a better battery by 2015 I will turn in my lease and purchase so that I can play with mods and, get a repaint in my favorite car color.

Attachments

• leaf_720x425_h319_s128_b706.jpg
    leaf_720x425_h319_s128_b706.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 46
Back