ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turnover said:
Pasco do you have any idea when a QC(s) will go in between Hood River and Pendleton on I-84? What are your thoughts on using Highway 14/I 84 to get from Vancouver to Pendleton/Tri Cities?
There's some info in the Portland thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=757&p=239052#p239046
I don't have any new info, except I emailed Maryhill Winery and requested that they install L2 or exterior 240 V (L6-20/dryer plug, etc). No response. Others should do the same and maybe they will realize that many Portland EVers would be willing to buy their wine if they had L2.

I find driving less than the speed limit on a single lane country highway can be too tense for me. You're always worried about being in the way or getting hit from behind. At least on the interstate there are two lanes and in the country there isn't much traffic so passing is easy. However, that said, here is my "future" fantasy trip from TC to Portland:
Exit I-82 at Benton City, head south climbing Webber Canyon, right on Sellards Rd, left on 221 to Paterson, right on 14 to Crow Butte State Park (~68 miles). Charge about 4 hrs and have a nice picnic breakfast/hike, day use fee $5. Continue west on 14 to Maryhill Winery (~57 miles) and charge for 2 hrs on L2 (that's the future fantasy part) depending upon battery drain and distance to next DCQC. All travel so far was on two lane county roads but the distances are easily achieved so speeds can be at the speed limit. Travel I-84 to The Dalles and/or Hood River and DCQC (~38 miles). Travel 65 miles to Vancouver where I have friends. Total time is approximately 7-8 hrs charging plus 3.5 hrs driving. Not exactly flying, but would include a nice picnic breakfast, hiking and lunch/wine tasting. Without charging at Maryhill, you'd probably need to back track to the Rufus RV for the $8 charge and probably add another hour of driving. Unless there is a rare easterly tailwind and temperatures are just right, 96 miles from Crow Butte to Hood River is pushing it (there are some fairly decent rolling hills and one very steep one just before Maryhill).

EDIT: No DCQC in The Dalles yet (2013 maybe?). Error on distance to Hood River. Also, reduced charging times to more realistic assuming 4 mi/KWH. Ultimately, it depends on the wind and how far into VLBW I'm willing to drive in this desolate area.

Finally, as for getting to/from Pendleton, you will need something in Arlington (perhaps we can convince one of those Wind Farms to help finance a DCQC in Arlington) and likely Hermiston/Boardman RV parks will be needed as well. Remember, once you get into the eastern part of the state, the attitude towards EVs change. I stopped at a local RV park to look at the plug style and was pointedly told that they don't allow EVs to charge. Period. No thought about alternative revenue or another customer base. My guess is that Faux News got them brainwashed and no level of reality will convince them otherwise. Good luck and post your travels if you do decide to brave this EV wasteland.
Reddy

Hi ebill3 (and all),

Any updates on this? We're making a trip to the in-laws today to Puyallup from Seattle (North Capital Hill), and I'm trying to convince family to use the Leaf. They're balking from range/convenience anxiety (I know, I know). Address we're heading to is 6000 block of 81st St E
Puyallup, WA 98371-5520. Also may try the Korum Puyallup Nissan dealer.

TIA for info and any suggestions!

ebill3 said:
New L2 Charging in Puyallup.

On December 10, 2012, Group Health Cooperative will open a new Puyallup Clinic at 1007 39th Ave SE. (Up the hill east of the South Hill Lowes Store)
There are five now operational and free Charge Point L2 EVSEs serving 10 parking slots. No coffee or burger joints near by.

Problem - very choice parking spaces right at the building entrance, and no signage. Even if they do put up restrictive signs, those spots are just too prime for many ICEs to pass up.

They are now on the Charge Point map, and I'll get them up on some of the others shortly.

DaveHanson said:
Hi ebill3 (and all),

Any updates on this? We're making a trip to the in-laws today to Puyallup from Seattle (North Capital Hill), and I'm trying to convince family to use the Leaf. They're balking from range/convenience anxiety (I know, I know). Address we're heading to is 6000 block of 81st St E
Puyallup Nissan is probably the most convenient on a route from Seattle, and they are very receptive to allowing charging.
I've stopped there a couple of times for other reasons, and someone has always offered a charge.

The Group Health Charge Point EVSEs are up and running and free. Need a card. Group Health is closed today, but they are in an ungated parking lot, and I have plugged in after hours just as a test.

Problem with both locations is that there is nothing to do at either location.

Bill

ebill3 said:
DaveHanson said:
Hi ebill3 (and all),

Puyallup Nissan is probably the most convenient on a route from Seattle, and they are very receptive to allowing charging.
I've stopped there a couple of times for other reasons, and someone has always offered a charge.

The Group Health Charge Point EVSEs are up and running and free. Need a card. Group Health is closed today, but they are in an ungated parking lot, and I have plugged in after hours just as a test.

Problem with both locations is that there is nothing to do at either location.

Bill

Puyallup is scheduled to get an AV quick charge. the one at Fife is already in the ground but still need something in SoKingCo. federal way seems to be the best choice.

Thanks for the replies, Bill and Dave!

Just to follow up:

Ended up doing a level 1 charge at in-laws at request of the rest of the family. Problem was that we only stayed 2 hrs. I thought we'd still be fine, as we left home with a full charge (100 mile readout on eco mode). But turns out that by the time we stopped by Seattle's 4th Ave Costco (what a *madhouse*) on the way down, we had only 28 miles left when we got there, 42 miles later. :( And the 2 hr level one charge only bumped us to 29 miles. When this didn't adjust after a couple miles after departure from Puyallup, we opted to stop at Fife Nissan, where a level 2 charger was open and fired up about 6:50pm. After letting it charge 90 minutes, we had 55 miles showing, and I thought we'd be fine for the final 37 miles...but we made it home with a very frazzed spouse and 4 miles to spare. (climate control off most of the time, all ways, save when the windows were just too fogged up to see.)

This was our first substantial highway trip in the leaf. I obviously have a bit to learn on actual vs. theoretical miles. Just hoping I can increase spouse's comfort level after this experience!

DaveHanson said:

Just to follow up:

Ended up doing a level 1 charge at in-laws at request of the rest of the family. Problem was that we only stayed 2 hrs. I thought we'd still be fine, as we left home with a full charge (100 mile readout on eco mode). But turns out that by the time we stopped by Seattle's 4th Ave Costco (what a *madhouse*) on the way down, we had only 28 miles left when we got there, 42 miles later. :( And the 2 hr level one charge only bumped us to 29 miles. When this didn't adjust after a couple miles after departure from Puyallup, we opted to stop at Fife Nissan, where a level 2 charger was open and fired up about 6:50pm. After letting it charge 90 minutes, we had 55 miles showing, and I thought we'd be fine for the final 37 miles...but we made it home with a very frazzed spouse and 4 miles to spare. (climate control off most of the time, all, ways, save when the windows were just too fogged up to see.)

This was our first substantial highway trip in the leaf. I obviously have a bit to learn on actual vs. theoretical miles. Just hoping I can increase spouse's comfort level after this experience!
Thanks for the follow up, and glad that it eventually worked out.

If you do not already have Tony's range chart, you should. Available at: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293
Pay attention to the different versions, and the notes.

In general, pay little attention to the displayed range - most of us call it the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) as it is woefully unreliable as a range prediction. The fuel bars are a much better indication of range.

Some nice sunny day, when you don't need the CC, drive around until you get low battery warning at which point you should have about a dozen miles left. Then, staying reasonable close to home, continue to very low battery, and you are down to about 5 miles remaining. Doing this exercise will give you a better appreciation of what you can expect at the lower limits of range.

Charging rule of thumb: L1, 120 volts @ 12 Amps - gain 5 miles an hour of charge. L2, 240 volts @ 16 Amps, gain 12 miles an hour of charge.

Bill

DaveHanson said:

Just to follow up:

Ended up doing a level 1 charge at in-laws at request of the rest of the family. Problem was that we only stayed 2 hrs. I thought we'd still be fine, as we left home with a full charge (100 mile readout on eco mode). But turns out that by the time we stopped by Seattle's 4th Ave Costco (what a *madhouse*) on the way down, we had only 28 miles left when we got there, 42 miles later. :( And the 2 hr level one charge only bumped us to 29 miles. When this didn't adjust after a couple miles after departure from Puyallup, we opted to stop at Fife Nissan, where a level 2 charger was open and fired up about 6:50pm. After letting it charge 90 minutes, we had 55 miles showing, and I thought we'd be fine for the final 37 miles...but we made it home with a very frazzed spouse and 4 miles to spare. (climate control off most of the time, all ways, save when the windows were just too fogged up to see.)

oh why did you not stop at Tumwater QC for a 20 minute boost? that would have helped a ton. you would have gotten roughly 10 kwh which would have been good for 35 miles or so.

Bill, really helpful reply, thank you! Hadn't seen that chart, that's consistent with what we observed.

Dave, Tumwater is a ways in the wrong direction (we were headed north), is it not?

DaveHanson said:
Bill, really helpful reply, thank you! Hadn't seen that chart, that's consistent with what we observed.

Dave, Tumwater is a ways in the wrong direction (we were headed north), is it not?

my plan would have been to drive directly to Tumwater (its another 6 miles down the freeway) charge up for 20 minutes or so, then go to dinner party for your 2 hour L1 boost. that would just about make it all the way back to Seattle...

Now I gotcha Dave, thanks for explaining. Were it just me, i think that would have been a great plan--if it really is only about 6 miles (I thought more like 20?). With the ladies, that would have been a tougher sell.

I sure appreciate your and other NW posters' keeping us up to date on QC and related experiences, BTW.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DaveHanson said:

my plan would have been to drive directly to Tumwater (its another 6 miles down the freeway) charge up for 20 minutes or so, then go to dinner party for your 2 hour L1 boost. that would just about make it all the way back to Seattle...
Boy, I'm confused. The trip was from Seattle (North Capital Hill) to Puyallup and return. Dave, are you maybe thinking it was Seattle - Olympia - Seattle? If so, Tumwater would work nicely.

One other question. I'm little confused by which charging networks are worth subscribing to. I signed up for blink, largely because of the nice free DC QC stations at the Seattle Harvard Market. But what others do you pros think are worth getting (and in many cases paying up for) in the Seattle/ PNW area? Chargepoint? Others? TIA.

The AeroVironment key fob for the "Electric Highway" stations up & down I-5, for certain. Also, the Oregon state DOT is installing/has installed a bunch of AV DCQC stations on select in-state highways.

DaveHanson said:
One other question. I'm little confused by which charging networks are worth subscribing to. I signed up for blink, largely because of the nice free DC QC stations at the Seattle Harvard Market. But what others do you pros think are worth getting (and in many cases paying up for) in the Seattle/ PNW area? Chargepoint? Others? TIA.
Probably ought to get the chargepoint and AV network (http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/subscriber_network/)

Chargepoint is fairly common in the area. You can sign up for free ones only or make a $25.00 deposit so you can use the increasing number that were free but now charge.

Many of the CHAdeMOs are AV.

Bill

Thank you Levenkay, signed up. :) One more related PNW Leaf newbie question: what is the best map/app to use that covers all of the available charging stations? TIA

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DaveHanson said:

Boy, I'm confused. The trip was from Seattle (North Capital Hill) to Puyallup and return. Dave, are you maybe thinking it was Seattle - Olympia - Seattle? If so, Tumwater would work nicely.

LOL@!! oh my bad!

i think i got you mixed up with

http://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/520184921346283/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or now that I think of there was a few trips to Lacey/Oly this weekend from Seattle. oi vey!

DaveHanson said:

Just to follow up:

...we left home with a full charge (100 mile readout on eco mode). But turns out that by the time we stopped by Seattle's 4th Ave Costco (what a *madhouse*) on the way down, we had only 28 miles left when we got there, 42 miles later.

don't forget current ambient temperatures wreak havoc on our Leaf battery packs. they drain much faster. I did a drive from N.Seattle to the airport and back last night, and pretty much used up the entire pack (with climate on most of the way home.)

In the summer/fall, this 45 mile roundtrip would have used up 6 maybe 7 bars, instead of the 10+ that it did last night.

Back