If not at home, how often are you using Panasonic evse?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My modified evse from Phil is all that I use. I never travel anywhere where I would need to charge. I could not see spending thousands of dollars to do something that Phil's mod did for under $300.

I have both an unmodified EVSE that lives in my car and an upgraded one that is semi-permanently mounted at home (and is my only home charging station). I have taken the upgraded one with me on one trip, but didn't use it away from home.

Confession time: I have used the 120v-only EVSE exactly twice, and didn't really need to either time. Both times were at the San Jose airport when picking someone up. There are two EV-only parking spaces right next to the Terminal A luggage pick-up area, and neither has a J1772 (one paddle, one Avcon). But there is a 120v outlet there, so I plugged in both times just as an excuse for taking a prime parking space.

Ray

Just once, to test an L6-20R I installed at a friend's house for emergencies. However, I'm using my Phil-modified EVSE at home everyday, as my Schneider unit is constantly tripping because of the high ground current leakage of my LEAF.

i have used it a half dozen times with all but once for camping. the one time it was not for camping was last month when we had no power, so spent night at in laws. i charged up over night. the roads were so bad with snow that i had to literally rock it back and forth to travel side streets. that dropped my performance into the mid 2's

I typically use it a couple times a month on 120v. Sometimes an extra ten miles is all you need. I recently moved, and I've used it quite a few times on 240v (my Blink's old outlet) at the old house I'm selling...while cleaning up, waiting for the termite inspector, and things like that. Used it on a long trip to charge overnight (L1) at the hotel. I don't leave home without it.

Two to three times a month usually at work if I decide to go somewhere a bit far not on the way home; once at a friend's house overnight (new year's eve).

In those instances, I opt for "topping up" at work from about 55% to about 80% on L1 instead of charging to 100% at night.

thankyouOB said:
The basement commonly has two spots near an outlet that are unoccupied when I arrive 4 days out of 5.
Boo, I have that exact same scenario at work - except the spots are reserved for upper management, which I am not. :( I actually charged there a few times when I first got my Leaf and had a little range anxiety, but after having to explain myself to the boss I quit using that spot altogether. Tried and failed to get the spots officially reserved for EVs, but I guess that's a story for another thread.

I have 2 rev 2 upgraded units: one hasn't moved since I first set it up plugged into the dryer outlet in my garage, and the 2nd travels with me. I used it on the road at the aforementioned work spot and at friends' places a few times early on, but now I just use it a couple times a month at my parents', along with my quick240 device. I don't ever need to charge there, as they're only 5 miles away, but they have solar and I don't so I feel compelled to charge there. Oh, and I used it once in the old EV spots at the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Even though I hardly use it, I do get a kick out of scouting out places where I *could* plug in.

I use mine 5 days a week, 8+ hours a day. I'm able to plug in at work so I do. It allows me to always charge to 80% and still drive at freeway speeds to work and home and still have enough electrons to run errands. I took it out of the little bag 9 months ago and it hasn't been back in since. A bit of a pain to plug in and un-plug every day, but I figure the extra 2 minutes a day is worth it for the extra charge.

kevin672 said:
A bit of a pain to plug in and un-plug every day

Is that a pain because of how hard it is to plug/unplug to an outlet or extension cord, or a pain for having to take it out every day?

Just curious...

Back