Improve the steering feel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turbo2ltr said:
Looking at the service manual, I can see there should be an opportunity to create a box that will allow you to customize the steering feel. This sounds like a great first LEAF product for me to develop.
garygid said:
Probably-maybe just need to change the value of one resistor.
Old Skool! :D What packets do we send along the CAN bus to tweak the steering a tad? :lol:

AndyH said:
turbo2ltr said:
Looking at the service manual, I can see there should be an opportunity to create a box that will allow you to customize the steering feel. This sounds like a great first LEAF product for me to develop.
garygid said:
Probably-maybe just need to change the value of one resistor.
Old Skool! :D What packets do we send along the CAN bus to tweak the steering a tad? :lol:

Steering packets.

Yep, I'm an electrical engineer and the same thought occurred to me. Basically, you could create a similiar kind of system that a number of vehicles have today that allows you to select from a few different presets (comfort [which would be what the Leaf currently has IMHO], normal, or sport; for example).

If the production vehicles are still as bad as the drive vehicles, I'd buy one.

turbo2ltr said:

ttweed said:
Do take the Leaf to a skidpad or an autox when you get it, though, shake it down, familiarize yourself, and report back on the handling, please!
Tom, you planning on taking your LEAF out to Qualcomm for auto-x? I've only been meaning to take my WRX out there for oh - 8 years - maybe I'll have better luck with my LEAF.

Would be interesting to have a couple LEAFs show up.

I took another look thru the steering and steering control sections of the service manual last night.

The steering computer gets input from the ABS sensors and other car sensors and computers - the power steering system appears to be fully integrated into the car's systems and adapts to conditions that include (at least) vehicle speed, forward/reverse, and ABS/traction control status.

If one wanted to dump steering boost completely (while triggering error lights and possibly some other 'limp' mode) they could just unplug the assist motor. That would put the steering system in it's 'full manual' fail-safe mode. Pull one plug and get a blinking dash light and full-time armstrong steering!

The ultimate solution will probably be tweaking a 'boost ratio' number in one of the steering computer's look-up tables. I know it's technically possible as I can do things like that with some of my '97 VW's systems (one can adjust injector timing, adjust fuel delivery for individual injectors, etc.) but I have no idea if that capability is built into the Nissan scan tool as a manual adjustment or if it would require a complete (tweaked) firmware upload.

Maybe lobby Nissan for a 'normal/sport' switch?

Geek time soon... ;)

AndyH said:
The ultimate solution will probably be tweaking a 'boost ratio' number in one of the steering computer's look-up tables. I know it's technically possible as I can do things like that with some of my '97 VW's systems (one can adjust injector timing, adjust fuel delivery for individual injectors, etc.) but I have no idea if that capability is built into the Nissan scan tool as a manual adjustment or if it would require a complete (tweaked) firmware upload.
So... add steering boost adjustment to the aftermarket firmware wishlist.

• Alternate start-up and VPS sounds (as laws allow, of course)
  • Variable max-charge timer preset between 80% and 100% (instead of just 80% or 100%)
  • Proper Battery State-Of Charge meter
  • Tweak to regen brake intensity in normal vs eco modes (unless blatantly unsafe to do so)
  • Power Steering Boost adjustment

=Smidge=

Instead of killing the steering motor altogether (along with malfunction lights), wouldn't it be easier just to heat up the thermal sensor to where it thinks the boost motor is overheating?
Then it should go into a reduced-power mode, with corresponding driver happiness.

There's several ways to do it. It's all a matter of what side effects each has...as well as how hard it is to implement. Very few people are going to want to remove the PS unit and take it all apart to get to the thermistor...assuming they even used a thermistor and not some sort of semiconductor type of sensor like the maxim DS series sensors.

drees said:
Tom, you planning on taking your LEAF out to Qualcomm for auto-x?
Absolutely, at least once. It will not be a competitive venture, just an exploratory one. I will resist putting on the used 245/45-16 Hoosiers I have laying around in the garage and just run it on the stock tires to see how it handles. :D

Unfortunately, the way things are playing out, I will be lucky to get the car by April or May, it seems, unless they really ramp up production soon. :cry:

TT

ttweed said:
Absolutely, at least once.
Let me know - I'm definitely interested. Have only done one "auto-x" when Mazda was doing those auto-x/driving events around the country so not a real auto-x. Did have fastest time for a few hours, though. :)

ttweed said:
Unfortunately, the way things are playing out, I will be lucky to get the car by April or May, it seems, unless they really ramp up production soon. :cry:
I'm in the same boat or worse - I wasn't able to order until late Oct (because of EV Project delays, I think).

turbo2ltr said:
There's several ways to do it. It's all a matter of what side effects each has...as well as how hard it is to implement. Very few people are going to want to remove the PS unit and take it all apart to get to the thermistor...assuming they even used a thermistor and not some sort of semiconductor type of sensor like the maxim DS series sensors.

What does a temp sensitive resistor have to do with the EPS? There is no need to open anything up. Changing the curve is not going to bring "side effects".

EVDRIVER said:
What does a temp sensitive resistor have to do with the EPS?

The service manual says the amount of assist will be less if the motor overheats. There has to be something like a thermistor that tells the controller the motor temperature. So if you trick the controller into thinking the motor is overheated when it's not, it will reduce the assist.

EVDRIVER said:
There is no need to open anything up. Changing the curve is not going to bring "side effects".

And you know this because you designed it and wrote the firmware? Please tell us how to change the curve then.

As with anything, if you do something it's not expecting, unless you designed it, you don't know what the effects could be. Especially when you see the integraton between the EPS and the ABS/ VDC system.

I test drove the Leaf a 2nd time last week. It seemed to sway side to side at highway speed. Thought this might be due partially to the tall height of the vehicle. Some posts indicate that a simple power steering adjustment would improve road handling and feel of the road. If so, then this improvement would be my biggest request.

rsbrax said:
I test drove the Leaf a 2nd time last week. It seemed to sway side to side at highway speed. Thought this might be due partially to the tall height of the vehicle. Some posts indicate that a simple power steering adjustment would improve road handling and feel of the road. If so, then this improvement would be my biggest request.
The LEAF, with its hefty profile, seems to be more affected by cross winds, but in my experience, it'd have to be a non-trivial wind speed, maybe north of 10-15 mph, to register an effect. In normal conditions, I have not noticed wandering problems, even with the skinny tall side-walled tires and Jello suspension. In any case, I don't know if less steering assist/better steering feel would do anything for a "swaying from side to side" problem. If anything, more steering feel might make one more aware of small steering changes. The "swaying" could be the result of road condition, the vehicle's alignment possibly being out of whack, or (if the two test drives were in the same car) an issue with the front tires.

I've noticed that the chassis feel of the Leaf has a lot to be desired of. The steering in particular makes me want to vomit.... at first. After driving the Leaf for several days w/o driving anything else it all seems to come together and the soft, spongy, numb feeling starts to feel comfortable, light and pleasant. At least until you attempt to extract some performance out of it, which snaps you back to reality. I'd compare the driving feel of the Leaf to being introduced to rootbear for the first time. The first sip is disgusting but after a few more, you find yourself liking it. I have to say I do enjoy driving it but everytime I drive another car and then come back to the Leaf, I have to get over that initial feeling of nausea. First 2 model years of any chassis always seem to have issues that have to be sorted out. By 2013 I'm sure there will be higher spring rates and less assist on the steering.

Back