Infiniti Teases Range-Extending Electric Sports Car Concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/24901/infiniti-teases-extended-range-electric-sports-car-concept-for-geneva" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A highly advanced, range-extending electric sports car concept is under development at Infiniti. Set to emerge at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2012, this vehicle is being created to extend the potential for high performance, low emission electric cars.

Explaining the strategy behind the concept, Andy Palmer, Executive Vice President, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd and Infiniti said: “At the Geneva Show next year, we will present our vision for a totally new kind of inspired premium performance car. Infiniti already has hybrid and clean diesel models on sale. And with an all-electric sedan on the way, the natural next step was to push the boundaries where performance and the environment intersect.”

Infiniti-Electric-Sports-Car-Concept_02-585x320.jpg

Looks like they are going to announce the production of the Infiniti Essence concept from last year. One of the most beautiful machines that I've ever seen come from Nissan's design shop.
2009-INFINITI-ESSENCE-CONCEPT-car-walls.jpg

Infiniti's GM of Product Strategy and Planning, Francois Bancon, talks about the Infinit serial hybrid sports car to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show on March 8th.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/112011139671/infiniti-electric-sports-car-concept-further-details-new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like it might be the closest competitor for Fisker Karma, undoubtedly at a much lower price point.

The OP might want to edit the subject, now that it has a name.

Infiniti’s first-ever extended-range electric sports car will be called the Emerg-e it was revealed today.

The Japanese luxury car manufacturer released further details about its highly anticipated concept, adding to previous hints about the car due to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next month.

The two-seater Emerg-e is Infiniti’s first-ever car to offer an extended-range electric drivetrain – basically an electric motor drives the wheels but a petrol engine generates charge when the battery gets low..

Not too many details in the video at the link below, but 1.2 liter engine size has been reported elswhere.

In other news, it was also reported below, that:

..Rumours have it that Infiniti is also planning an all-electric saloon, expected to break cover at this year’s New York Motor Show in April...

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/Infiniti-electric-sports-car-concept-dubbed-Emerg-e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like someone at Nissan Design made an oooops.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/02/infiniti-emerge-e-pure-electric.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the "teased" features look correct to me.

Actually the leaked images are from a European Patent and Copyright filing by Nissan. Usually these offices are supposed to keep applications confidential during the examiners review period or Patent Pending. It would appear that was not the case today. I would bet Nissan had a few choice words with the chief examiner of the offending office. Don't be surprised if a full reveal will now be done well ahead of Geneva.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Which generates greater publicity, a press release or an "unintended leak" ?

that depends. Do you have a story to tell that would get the most legs from a release; i.e. it has an audience in many venues and with many reporters -- or you just have a teaser that most will ignore but you could get one outlet to push if you gave them an exclusive.

(puts aside his day job and returns to the laundry.)

If those leaked photos are truly the Infiniti Emerg-E... MY GOD! :eek: !! The new NSX, the LF-LC will be in for some serious competition in looks alone. I thought that as far as considering the highest level of EV's the Tesla Roadster and the Fisker Karma were a sight for the eyes, but this.... this make everything else that's come before it just fail. I hope this thing will have the type of performance that would be expected of something that looks as good as a Ferrari 458 Italia.
infiniti-emerg-e-628-1330213836.jpg

Herm said:
Using solid tires in a car will mean a very harsh ride :)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're referring to the extremely low side wall ratio on those tires, it's a given that the won't be the xxx/25-20's that those appear to be. This is just a rendering, not a even a conceptual model and even then they always look more sensational than the production version turns out to be.

Back