Interested in fully molded NEMA 14-30/14-50 adapter cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnr said:
Well I have found a factory now that can make these for us, but I want to be sure that I can get enough orders to recover the upfront cost.

So did you get enough interest to make it worth your time ?

Im interested as well. As a matter of fact, id like a molded adapter for each one of the 240v plugs. Ive already made a 14/50 14/30 to L6-20 but id still buy a molded one as it looks better. Id also like a Nema 10-30 and 10-50(posssibly same one if you lose half the ground pin?) an L6-30 and a L6-50 and a 6-30 and 6-50 for good measure. let me know

hellraiser79 said:
Im interested as well. As a matter of fact, id like a molded adapter for each one of the 240v plugs. Ive already made a 14/50 14/30 to L6-20 but id still buy a molded one as it looks better. Id also like a Nema 10-30 and 10-50(posssibly same one if you lose half the ground pin?) an L6-30 and a L6-50 and a 6-30 and 6-50 for good measure. let me know

Yes, same here for us. Want to cover the old and new dryer outlets and the RV standard 240V
outlet. When will you know if you're going to proceed with this?

I would have loved to buy prebuilt molded adapters and gotten everything from one person. I ended up buying bits and pieces from all over and over time as I figured out what I needed to complete my kit. One site that basically sold all the pieces one needed to complete their kit would be awesome.

So can I recommend you add:
- 6-20P to L6-20R - http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=8988&CategoryID=2999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- L6-20R molded receptacle pig tail like EVSEUpgrade sells
- L6-20P to L5-20R - so that I can use my L6-20 extension cord on 120
- L6-20R outlet and face plate
- Whatever that California exhibition standard is

Not likely for you to sell but AFAIC one needs the following additional bits to complete EVSEUpgrade kit:
- P-102 Quick220 or similar http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Rated for 20 amps can't hurt so it comes with 2x 5-15P to 5-20R adapters, 25' 5-20 extension cord, and 20 amp Quick220 with L6-20R output)
- L6-20 extension cords for example http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=12911&CategoryID=2291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and/or http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7510&CategoryID=2291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- L5-15P that bonds ground and neutral for use with generators that aren't bonded.

QueenBee said:
This is an extremely dangerous adapter, and I do not recommend anyone make or have such a thing in their possession!
QueenBee said:
- L5-15P that bonds ground and neutral for use with generators that aren't bonded.
Same here on this device, the safe way would be to put a high impedance connection between the ground/neutral & ground/hot, say 100k ohms. This will pass the ground check on our unit, and not pose an electrocution hazard.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
QueenBee said:
This is an extremely dangerous adapter, and I do not recommend anyone make or have such a thing in their possession!
QueenBee said:
Same here on this device, the safe way would be to put a high impedance connection between the ground/neutral & ground/hot, say 100k ohms. This will pass the ground check on our unit, and not pose an electrocution hazard.

-Phil

Yeah, the first one could get you into trouble if you decided to connect to 240 on the other end instead of using an 120 adapter but even then I think highly destructive is probably more likely than extremely dangerous.

I guess I'm still confused about the bonding of portable generators. The last time we talked about this you said "hot to ground fault without the "bond" simply creates an ad-hoc bond, with no other consequences and inherent danger, so it otherwise wouldn't be noticed."
So if hot is bonded to ground touching the generator doesn't pose a shock risk?

Then this says:
"A neutral conductor shall be bonded to the generator frame if the generator is a component of a separately derived system" and a little diagram showing how you could get electrocuted by 240v if there were two faults.
http://oshaprofessor.com/Portable%20Generators%20and%20OSHA%20Construction%20Standards%203-05.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for looking out for our safety!

Thanks everyone for your interest!

For the time being, I have decided not to proceed with the molded NEMA 14 adapter cords. I've run into difficulty since the UL standard for wiring gauge for a NEMA 14 plug is AWG 10 or larger, but the mold for an L6-20 receptacle only allows up to AWG12. So it's difficult to make them match, and that would increase the cost to the point where it's not worthwhile, considering the small scale we're working with here. So I won't be offering the molded NEMA 14 type anytime soon - but I'm still making the adapter cords, so you're welcome to come visit my website.

QueenBee said:
Ingineer said:
QueenBee said:
QueenBee said:

-Phil
@QueenBee: Thanks for your suggestions! I am considering offering a fully loaded adapter kit, so any input on what to include is always appreciated. Regarding an L6-20P to L5-20R, I'm with Phil on this one - anything that can be misused by passing through higher voltage or current than rated for the connection can be a major safety hazard. Would you make a cord that plugs into a dryer outlet and has a standard 120V plug on the end? Of course not! So I will not be offering any cord that has a 240V plug and a 120V receptacle. However I'm interested to know why you suggest this - please tell me more - maybe we can figure out a safe way to provide equivalent functionality.

@Phil: I remember discussion earlier on the forums regarding the simple trick of bonding ground and neutral - I though you even suggested this. Care to elaborate?

johnr said:
@QueenBee: Thanks for your suggestions! I am considering offering a fully loaded adapter kit, so any input on what to include is always appreciated. Regarding an L6-20P to L5-20R, I'm with Phil on this one - anything that can be misused by passing through higher voltage or current than rated for the connection can be a major safety hazard. Would you make a cord that plugs into a dryer outlet and has a standard 120V plug on the end? Of course not! So I will not be offering any cord that has a 240V plug and a 120V receptacle. However I'm interested to know why you suggest this - please tell me more - maybe we can figure out a safe way to provide equivalent functionality.

A kit like that would have been a lot more convenient and probably cheaper :)

I'm not convinced its all that much of a safety hazard but agree that it would allow you do something that you might not intend and break stuff if you were not paying attention. Exposing 240 volt via 5-15 is somewhat common in datacenters. Most(lots) of AC/DC adapters are 240 capable but they still have 5-15P so UL must not be too concerned by the fact that you are going to have to use a 5-15R adapter to get 240 volt into one of them. In 240 volt PDU/switches they'll use C-14 to C-15 cables for most everything. This generally keeps you from just plugging in any random equipment but if you end up with a really really old computer/server/etc. PSU that doesn't support 240 volt you'll make smoke come out.

Anyway, the issue I ran into once was I was using the Quick220 and I have a 5-20 extension cord but it wasn't long enough to find a second outlet so I wanted to use my L6-20 extension cord but only had an adapter for one side.

I went and reread some of the threads where Phil was talking about generators and this was the first time I've seen him specifically mention it being unsafe to just bond them but I trust that he knows his stuff so I've got some resistors on order.

johnr said:
I am considering offering a fully loaded adapter kit, so any input on what to include is always appreciated.
My suggestions would be the following bundle:

Everything plus the kitchen sink (all adapters)
Everything but the NEMA L14-30 and NEMA L6-30

But - it might be easier to simply offer a discount when buying multiple adapters since it's likely that everyone will have different wants/needs (you might know this already based on people's buying patterns). For example, buy 3 or more get x% off.

Back