Interesting Mod for your EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea and implementation looks nice.

You should patent the idea as an "assisted locator device for electric vehicle chargers".

Then collect royalties.

AmarilloLeaf said:
Great idea and implementation looks nice.

You should patent the idea as an "assisted locator device for electric vehicle chargers".

Then collect royalties.

This is OT, but patents are almost useless for small individual inventors. They only serve large organizations that can afford to enforce them in court.

See this series of articles if you are interested.

-Phil

I've got it! I've got it! (literally) Solar Panels! You're using a solar panel to power the light! :lol: :eek: :lol:

Thanks for the links on the patents. Didn't think too much of them in the first place in terms of protecting the ideas of individuals adn their value vs. cost. Now I think even less of them. Better to run fast and keep innovating ahead of the copycats!

So will this be available as an option for those buying your upgrade? I just got the Quick220 so as soon as the car arrives i'll be ordering.

I hope that it works better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Gj2o5UHLU&feature=related

Edit: Parental caution, brief profanity.

So is this contest still open? I didn't see a winner or contest closed...

I was wanting to add a light to the J1772 and figured someone has already done this which brought me to this thread so here is my interpretation.

When the J1772 is unplugged there is a DC voltage on the pilot pin but the switch is wired to the proximity pin with a 150 series resistor and a 330 parallel resistor that only connects to the electric vehicle. So I guess you need a high impedance voltage divider with a DC clamp diode or blocking diode with a transistor to drive a current limited LED. The 150 and 330 ohm resistor combine to change the input impedance from 150 ohms to 480 ohms when the trigger is closed and opens the normally closed switch. I'm not sure if you chose to implement the LED driver with a 555 timer or transistor but either could be made to work.

I'm thinking a high resistance circuit of 300K will not change the apparent resistance of the proximity detection circuit and a diode is needed to protect from the negative swing of the pilot signals but I haven't hooked up a scope to see what is going on with the J1772 when the handshake for charging begins.

I saw the stick on light for illumination but I think using the built in power source from the pilot signal makes for a much simpler design. I was also thinking of how to make an indicator LED to show the vehicle is 'connected' and ready to charge as indicated on the EVSE.

Any suggestions?

I'm curious how well the light works in the center like that. The GM Voltec unit has a light but I've found it hard to use because the light is on the bottom. Its hard to explain, but if it is dark and you try to rely on the light to get it in then you can only get within a few inches. When you start trying to insert it into the port, the light becomes obscured and you can't see where the plug is going. A better solution is lighting up the charge port. While this is easy to do on a Leaf, the Volt is more of a challenge do to the design of the charge port.

LOL! So far, nobody ever figured it out. It's tricky!

The LED in the center of the J1772 handle connector is superior to all other methods I've experimented with. The Voltec LED on the bottom is not as useful, as it is obscured, but better than nothing.

The labor to add this feature to 2011-2012 OEM EVSE's was too cost-prohibitive to consider implementation, and on 2013 it's almost impossible without permanent damage to the handle.

Like most people, I'd say once you do it a few times, it's simple even in total darkness. Nissan solved the issue on the 2013's by adding the LED we suggested in 2011.

If you must have one, the best solution is the motion-LED light, it works ok, at least for a year or so.

-Phil

One of these, maybe?

20108241443410.jpg

Back