Is there a 240V charger that works on 20 amp?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Just a curiosity. I've been reading through the posts here about different EVSEs. I already have a Leaf and an AV unit that we installed ourselves, but my wife drives this. Installation of that AV unit was a 3-day chore, because it was on the opposite side of the garage from the breaker panel and we put the wire up the walls and through the attic. Well, I'm working trying to get a second Leaf so I'll have one for myself.

My charging requirements are much less than my wife since I only drive about 10 miles per day. I'll be fine just using the level-1 EVSE and if I'm in a pinch, I can use my wife's level2. However, I'd like to be able to keep the level-1 EVSE in the car as it was intended so I'll have it in an emergency. So that would mean I'd need to buy a second one.

So since I'd be looking to buy a second one anyway, I began to wonder about the plug on the wall. It is a 110V / 20 amp outlet that I installed a few years back. It is on its on 20-amp breaker. I could actually easily rewire this plug to output 220V instead. But it still couldn't support an AV unit because it is on 20-amp cable (12 gauge I believe) and not the required 8 gauge of the AV unit.

Now, I'm aware of the upgrade option for the included EVSE with the Leaf. That sounds like it would run perfectly in this situation. But as I'd want a second unit, it appears my cost would be very high, costing around $729 or so? So I figure if I have to pay that much, I might as well get a unit designed to mount to the wall. So that brings me back to the original question. Can any of the wall-mounted EVSE units be configured to run off of 20 amps?

I think Leviton 160 is what you need. You could sell the AV unit and run two Leviton 160s off the 40a circuit.
Possibly some others could be programmed to limit current to 16a but those all cost somewhat more that I know of.
And the Leviton is not availavle yet so you will be living off L1 for a couple more months.

Leviton 16A (20-amp 240v circuit) is not yet available.

The Blink can be configured for 16A I think, but it is over $1000 I believe.

S... EVSE maybe, but variable high price.

The mod-L1 Nissan EVSE is what I am using, at least for now.

Send your wife's L1 EVSE in for a mod?
That's only about $240 + $20 each way for insured UPS shipping, plus buy or make a suitable adapter cord.

smkettner said:
I think Leviton 160 is what you need. You could sell the AV unit and run two Leviton 160s off the 40a circuit.
Possibly some others could be programmed to limit current to 16a but those all cost somewhat more that I know of.
And the Leviton is not availavle yet so you will be living off L1 for a couple more months.

I just googled that... yes, that would be perfect. Too bad I can't find a price anywhere. I can certainly wait a few months and just use the level-1 in the meantime..

The 20A @240V is 4.8kw, the AV unit requires 40A because it supports 6.6kw charging which the LEAF does not require.

nader said:
EVDRIVER said:
The 20A @240V is 4.8kw, the AV unit requires 40A because it supports 6.6kw charging which the LEAF does not require.

yet!

Is that why the OP is looking for a 20A unit? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, the LEAF is only capable of taking 3.7kW at the very most. So looking for anything beyond a 16A unit would seem to be an exercise in futility.

A "20-amp" (a typical nominal marketing description) EVSE unit works on a 20-amp circuit with a 20-amp breaker, but it only offers 16 amps to the car.

A "30-amp" EVSE can offer 24 amps.
A "40-amp" EVSE can offer 32 amps.

nader said:
EVDRIVER said:

yet!
Even if the future Leaf includes 6.6 charging the Leviton 160 will still charge the vehicle just fine. The only issue might be if Nissan doubles the battery capacity and full 0% to 100% is no longer possible overnight. What is the chance of that about zero?

Of course if future Leaf includes 6.6 charging it will just take better advantage of opportunity charging.

Put the AV junk unit on a 20A circuit and it will work, just not at code but not an issue with LEAF charging. I would do this no problem but not buy an AV unit.

Don't expect a remotely affordable upgrade to the LEAF charger, Nissan blew it and the wires would need replacement, that likely includes dropping the pack. If they were not so short sighted they would have made the wires larger. Only way is VIA L3 port.

Would a GM Voltec unit work? I believe it is designed to operate on a 20 amp circuit. If you are already wired in the garage you can purchase one from SPX for $490 and install it yourself.

Nissan could have turned the 16 amp charging into a positive.
Simpler and easier to install a 20 amp circuit.
Instead they are pushing 40 amp unit that doesn't do us ant good and makes installation
Much more complicated and expensive.

I agree that a 32amp charger on a 20 amp circuit charging the leaf should never be a problem.

Mx5racer, I have been sounding that horn ever since AV wanted $1200 to bolt their $900 product to the wall and add three wire nuts.
My home is fully prewired and inspected as required by city building code at time of original construction. It really befuddles me the lengths some have gone through to install the famed 40 amp circuit required by AV :roll:

smkettner said:
Mx5racer, I have been sounding that horn ever since AV wanted $1200 to bolt their $900 product to the wall and add three wire nuts.
My home is fully prewired and inspected as required by city building code at time of original construction. It really befuddles me the lengths some have gone through to install the famed 40 amp circuit required by AV :roll:

I installed the AV unit myself (sorry, no city permit or electrical license) but I can assure you if it were to be inspected, it would pass code. But I did run the 8 gauge cable and 40 amp breaker as the AV unit required. I suppose it is possible in the future I may have a different vehicle that might actually use more amps than the Leaf. And truth be told, the most difficult part of the install was running the wire from the breaker panel, through the attic, and down the inside of the wall. It wouldn't have mattered much if it was 8 gauge or 12 gauge, the amount of work would be the same. So if you are going to run the cable, might as well run the right one.

As for my original post in this thread, I already have a 12-gauge wire run to the other side where soon I will have a second leaf. I can make that a 220V setup just by moving some wires in the breaker box. So I'd be saving the work of running another line. That is why I asked the question originally. Looks like I'm probably safe using any EVSE on there as long as I'm only charging a Leaf and not some other car.

I would still opt for the Leviton 160 but the AV should be fine charging the Leaf.
Just make sure it is a double 20 amp breaker to protect the #12 wire.

lIt wouldn't have mattered much if it was 8 gauge or 12 gauge, the amount of work would be the same. So if you are going to run the cable, might as well run the right one.

The issue is that I have 10g wires already running to an unused dryer plug.
I moved those wires to a new sub panel and now have a 20amp 220 and 110 plug.
Getting the 8G wire would be a lot more work as the breaker panel is on the other side of the house.

Again the main point is that the a 32amp EVSE won't offer any benefit to my Leaf.

There is absolutely no problem running the AV unit on a 20A circuit. If you ever put an EV on it that will pull over 4.8kW it will simply trip the breaker, no harm.

At that point you would be forced to upgrade the circuit if you wanted to charge that car, but you could charge your LEAF with no trouble.

-Phil

Back