J1772 not fitting in socket.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
I am not wanting to argue with Phil's diagnosis ... but, please note that on our CT-500 we do NOT use the holster.
I think Phil is onto something. Another observation to note is that both Nissan and AeroVironment were looking at this thread. Hopefully it will turn into something actionable, and Leaf owners will have one less thing to worry about in the future.

I do know that Elk Grove Nissan has replaced more than one of their cables (by now possibly all 4) on their four-headed AV station setup. I believe the new J-plugs are from ITT Cannon.

LEAFer said:
I am not wanting to argue with Phil's diagnosis
You seem to be agreeing with me?

LEAFer said:
The plug is stored by hanging loosely from the support below the main unit, as show in the second photo (in contrast to as-designed showing in the first photo).
You are doing almost exactly what I recommend for the AV owners.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
LEAFer said:
I am not wanting to argue with Phil's diagnosis
You seem to be agreeing with me?

LEAFer said:
The plug is stored by hanging loosely from the support below the main unit, as show in the second photo (in contrast to as-designed showing in the first photo).
You are doing almost exactly what I recommend for the AV owners.

-Phil
1. I am not disagreeing on diagnosis of potentially faulty AV "holster", and storing Yazaki plug in said holster apparently causing failure, because I don't have an AV unit. But I am having problem with Yazaki after daily+ use in Volt and LEAF, without use of (Coulomb) holster.

2. Yes, because I *can't* use the holster, but still had the problem ... until I removed the O-ring (see much earlier post with two references: here).

So ... in other words ... I am disagreeing that "The Yazaki connector is rugged and well-designed" by itself, because it could still fail even NOT storing it in the AV holster (Coulomb in my case). (Hope it's clearer now).

LEAFer said:
So ... in other words ... I am disagreeing that "The Yazaki connector is rugged and well-designed" by itself, because it could still fail even NOT storing it in the AV holster (Coulomb in my case). (Hope it's clearer now).
There has been several revisions of the Yazaki, so it's possible the older ones suffered from this problem more readily. We do not see it in the ones used in the Panasonic EVSE. BTW, AV has switched to the cheaper ITT handle in any event. It does not have any seals.

Personally, I do not think a seal is warranted as long as the inlet is reasonably level.

-Phil

Yesterday I had a problem connecting a J1772 at a public station. The thing was that I had just used that same station about 3 hours earlier without a problem. Thinking about this thread, I pulled out the connector to see what was preventing it from properly inserting. I noticed something in the connector. I shook it to dislodge it. When it fell to the ground it turned out to be a lizard. I had squished the poor thing. The connector cleaned up fairly easily, and worked just fine.

I believe somebody wanted some photos.. So I finally got around to taking some.
First of all, this is the type of EVSE in question:

IMG_0612.jpg

This is what the inside of the connector looks like.

IMG_0611.jpg

And this shows the likely culprit of what is dislodging the o-ring. I believe the plastic insert on the dock is occasionally dislodging the o-ring when the handle isn't inserted at just the right angle.

IMG_0613.jpg

mirko said:
Yesterday I had a problem connecting a J1772 at a public station. The thing was that I had just used that same station about 3 hours earlier without a problem. Thinking about this thread, I pulled out the connector to see what was preventing it from properly inserting. I noticed something in the connector. I shook it to dislodge it. When it fell to the ground it turned out to be a lizard. I had squished the poor thing. The connector cleaned up fairly easily, and worked just fine.
LOL! Now that's one for the books!!!

adric22 said:
I believe somebody wanted some photos.. So I finally got around to taking some.
First of all, this is the type of EVSE in question:

IMG_0612.jpg

This is what the inside of the connector looks like.

IMG_0611.jpg

And this shows the likely culprit of what is dislodging the o-ring. I believe the plastic insert on the dock is occasionally dislodging the o-ring when the handle isn't inserted at just the right angle.

IMG_0613.jpg
IMHO, I think docking the J1772 into a latching situation just increases wear and tear on it. Hang it or holster it will cut wear and tear by 50%.

mirko said:

DId it offer you 15% off your car insurance, in a British accent?

adric22 said:
The O-Ring strikes again...

IMG_0968.jpg

considering your "likely to be dry" climate. i would forego the o ring for now. dont throw it away. just put it away. either that or perhaps a small amount of silicon spray or something to keep it in place?

When the green ring has been dislodged as shown
in the post above, is it difficult to re-seat the ring
properly using a medium or small flat-blade screwdriver?

Or, if one needs to use that J1772 plug to charge, is
the only in-the-field choice to remove the ring, perhaps
with a screwdriver or a pair of long-nose needle-nose pliers?

In any case, whenever plugging something, especially
some "publicly-used" object that might be "infected",
into anything that you value...
one would be wise to use great caution, and perhaps
even some isolation technique, or at least a careful
examination of the object to be inserted?

In these "early days" of public charging, where these devices
are still evolving, and more often subject to misuse, or even
vandalism, might a cautious owner want a short, rigid socket-
to-plug device that would plug into the EV's J1772 socket,
and provide a "disposable" (or easily replaceable) J1772 socket
to accept the "public" J1772 plugs?

The adapter might even have some components to keep
poorly designed, defective, worn, or out-of-spec EVSEs
from damaging an expensive EV or Charger that fails
to protect itself sufficiently well from "unexpected" input.

Would you buy such a "protector" device for $100?
Yes, right now, it would cost more than that.

Once the O-ring is dislodged ... it is possible to reseat it, but regular tools wont do. I have those "tiny instruments from El Paso" ... a Stanley "Pick&Hook" Set (UPC 0-76174-82115-4) that works. However, once dislodged, without any other help (spray, sealant, epoxy), it won't last long. Been there, done that, but didn't want to go an extra frustrating mile. So now the O-Ring has found a permanent spot next to me at my desk.

I had a similar problem. See my post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6336&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine was not related to the O-ring. Nissan replaced the connector and I still don't know what the problem was. Probably some dimension was slightly out of tolerance. The replaced one has not had a problem with many Blinks I have used.

gmuzhik said:
I had a similar problem. See my post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6336&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine was not related to the O-ring. Nissan replaced the connector and I still don't know what the problem was. Probably some dimension was slightly out of tolerance. The replaced one has not had a problem with many Blinks I have used.

is this on the EVSE or do you mean the socket on the LEAF itself? because this is first time i have heard of this. my LEAF seems to have "play" in that the socket has some wiggle room that i dont remember it having when it was new.

now, not sure if i am not making mountains out of molehills because up until all these blown socket threads started popping up, i had never paid that much attention to the plug. heck, about half the time, my 5 YO Son plugs it in...

DaveinOlyWA said:
gmuzhik said:

is this on the EVSE or do you mean the socket on the LEAF itself? because this is first time i have heard of this. my LEAF seems to have "play" in that the socket has some wiggle room that i dont remember it having when it was new.

now, not sure if i am not making mountains out of molehills because up until all these blown socket threads started popping up, i had never paid that much attention to the plug. heck, about half the time, my 5 YO Son plugs it in...

My problem was on the Leaf itself. The receptacle was replaced. After it was replaced, the problem went away.

Thanks for posting this issue here. I just run into this issue with my 2018 Nissan Leaf. Good thing I checked this forum first. Nissan dealership quoted me $150 just to diagnose the problem even if I already pointed out to them what is causing it. Can’t believe that Nissan tech can’t tell right away that the rubber seal/o-ring is not part of the charging port on the car itself but it was on the EVSE or plug unit ( I still have the rubber seal on the port itself when I drove the car for service). Like others, I’ll just took the rubber seal out until I can find a replacement somewhere that won’t break the bank.

Back