Juicing Up Your New Electric Car : 150 miles @ 90mph ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
Those who are wishing / hoping for something better in a short amount of time should take another look at what is really possible and what are they looking for in an EV to avoid disappointments.

This is good advice. I know exactly what to expect form the Leaf and come the end of the year or Jan I may even cancel based on new offerings but if I do buy a Leaf there will be no surprises on range or performance. One thing I find interesting that has not been mentioned, many ordered the Leaf and there was NO specific pack warranty information disclosed a the time of order. The pack warranty could be so pro-rated that it would not matter how many years it is. I'm just mentioning that the details are key to a battery warranty. As an example if a cell fails it may be pro-rated based on the used life and percentage, etc. If the warranty says 70% at X years and it fails you may pay 30% of the retail price to replace, etc. Perhaps it will be a great warranty but I want to see the print. My truck rusted and the warranty covers rust but they say since I'm near the ocean (4) miles, no coverage. I don't remember that stated:)

EVDRIVER said:
evnow said:
Those who are wishing / hoping for something better in a short amount of time should take another look at what is really possible and what are they looking for in an EV to avoid disappointments.
This is good advice. I know exactly what to expect form the Leaf and come the end of the year or Jan I may even cancel based on new offerings but if I do buy a Leaf there will be no surprises on range or performance.
This statement reminded me of something my father used to say, "you can never buy the newest camera". Growing up he always had a movie camera and a couple of 35mm cameras around the house. His brother, however, was constantly researching the latest camera in the camera magazine reviews, but he never bought a camera. He never bought one because he would learn of some new feature or improvement coming out soon. He actually never ended up buying any camera. So therefore my family has gobs of movies and photos covering decades, while my cousins have only a few photos my father took of them when they came to our house.

I know my driving patterns and the specs on the LEAF exceed my requirements. So there's no way I'm waiting. The LEAF range and performance will improve in subsequent generations, no doubt. But, in my case, that would just be exceeding my requirements. I could just hear my dad saying, "you can never buy the newest LEAF!"

My understanding is that the 24 kWh includes the 4 kWh "low/reserve",
and that the BMS will keep us from charging higher (or discharging lower)
to preserve the health (and extend the lifetime) of the battery.

EVDRIVER said:
As usual a bunch of messed up information, the only thing to give that much more range would be a new pack technology, a very big leap not something to do with the car. This is completely false as the present leaf would need about a 70 kwh pack to do that. Let's not entertain this please.

Ooh, a 70kWh pack would be *really* nice ;)
I'd probably preorder a Leaf tomorrow if they announced a 70kWh version...
(provided they also offered a hitch as an option)

The reporter for the article dropped me a note and said that he got the range information from "someone at Wolfchase Nissan". So it seems pretty clear that this dealer isn't up to speed on exactly what the design criteria of the Leaf is.

indyflick said:
EVDRIVER said:
evnow said:
This is good advice. I know exactly what to expect form the Leaf and come the end of the year or Jan I may even cancel based on new offerings but if I do buy a Leaf there will be no surprises on range or performance.
This statement reminded me of something my father used to say, "you can never buy the newest camera". Growing up he always had a movie camera and a couple of 35mm cameras around the house. His brother, however, was constantly researching the latest camera in the camera magazine reviews, but he never bought a camera. He never bought one because he would learn of some new feature or improvement coming out soon. He actually never ended up buying any camera. So therefore my family has gobs of movies and photos covering decades, while my cousins have only a few photos my father took of them when they came to our house.

I know my driving patterns and the specs on the LEAF exceed my requirements. So there's no way I'm waiting. The LEAF range and performance will improve in subsequent generations, no doubt. But, in my case, that would just be exceeding my requirements. I could just hear my dad saying, "you can never buy the newest LEAF!"

I have owned several factory EVs and went to great lengths to get one before anyone in the entire county. I don't wait endlessly in fact I take huge risks to secure vehicles before anyone else. The days of tomorrow with EVs are over but I will know if a slight delay will reap big rewards. I have never waited for the next model for anything, there always is a next. I think you missed the point of the post.

EVDRIVER said:
I have owned several factory EVs and went to great lengths to get one before anyone in the entire county. I don't wait endlessly in fact I take huge risks to secure vehicles before anyone else. The days of tomorrow with EVs are over but I will know if a slight delay will reap big rewards. I have never waited for the next model for anything, there always is a next. I think you missed the point of the post.
Didn't miss your point at all, just sharing a story.

indyflick said:
EVDRIVER said:
Didn't miss your point at all, just sharing a story.

Hopefully EVs won't depreciate like computers and cameras.

EVDRIVER said:
Hopefully EVs won't depreciate like computers and cameras.
If they did as a result of innovation trajectories, like PCs and CE enjoy, then I would be very happy. But it's more likely to be predominately good old fashioned economies of scale reducing cost for new EVs pressuring pricing in the used market. Right now, with the federal and CA incentives, I feel like we're getting forward pricing.

Come on guys - didn't you know that at 88 mph the Mr Fusion vortex generator kicks in and gives you a huge boost in power?

Back