Just purchased a New 4k miles 2011 SL. L2 Charger???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
otokron said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
L1 and L2 charger's in the car, under the hump in the back. You're looking to buy an EVSE.

:?:

I'm just shopping for an L2 charger. I know I have an L1 that came with the car...
No. Onboard charger is under the hump. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

You are looking for an L2 EVSE (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glossary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Your car came w/an L1 EVSE (Panasonic cord set w/brick and J1772 handle).

From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
EVSE - Charging Equipment

All the discussion about the EV supply equipment (incorrectly referred to as charger by some) go here.

cwerdna,

Thank you for correcting everything about this topic, I guess every website and person that refers to the "EVSE's" as chargers are wrong. I'm sure you are not looking to provide any useful information other than technical typos (keep it to yourself).

Feel free to start your own topic elsewhere about how others are technically incorrect. I'm sure it'll be popular. I'm just asking for opinions ON THE "EVSE's" I've found.

mhigley said:
I got the evse upgrade and it is my only evse. I also got an adapter at evseadapters.com so I could L2 charge at RV parks.

65380_480611712004453_1414084054_n.jpg

Thanks for the response.
How long did it take the whole process of upgrading? I use my car every day so, I really need it...

otokron said:

cwerdna,

Thank you for correcting everything about this topic, I guess every website and person that refers to the "EVSE's" as chargers are wrong. I'm sure you are not looking to provide any useful information other than technical typos (keep it to yourself).

Feel free to start your own topic elsewhere about how others are technically incorrect. I'm sure it'll be popular. I'm just asking for opinions ON THE "EVSE's" I've found.
:roll: The use of the wrong term (charger instead of EVSE) becomes more confusing as the '13 Leaf can have either a 3.3 kW or 6.6 kW on-board charger.

mhigley is likely referring to http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which does offer advanced replacement service, for an extra fee. Ingineer, a well-respected member of MNL is behind it.

BTW, do NOT try to use the stock, non-upgraded EVSE with a 200+ volt outlet via adapters. You will blow it. I've seen a picture of such a blown unit before. The Nissan quality guy at the SF BayLEAFs meeting I was at in late 2011 (Kadota-san, Leaf's Chief Vehicle Engineer was there too) mentioned that they were seeing blown EVSEs come back w/people doing that...

otokron said:
cwerdna,

You know, instead of acting like the clueless (and arrogant) newbie, you could use the (very correct) info he's given you to help you find the information you want in the OTHER 8 GAZILLION TOPICS on this subject.

davewill said:
otokron said:
cwerdna,

You know, instead of acting like the clueless (and arrogant) newbie, you could use the (very correct) info he's given you to help you find the information you want in the OTHER 8 GAZILLION TOPICS on this subject.

It's not being "clueless and arrogant", it's just being real. Everybody knows the term "EVSE", the topic was created for opinions about which one of the options is better. Everybody have been answering without problems. I was just stating my opinion on the reply.

I apologize if it "sounded" arrogant and unnecessary, to me, that reply in specific was unnecessary as well. It's called freedom of speech and/or honesty, not arrogance.

Everyone knows it is the stupid thing on the wall. No matter how confused people are they do not care. They still need a stupid thing on the wall so the car will charge.

I drive 27 miles to work and 27 miles home, with PLENTY of range left. You can view my detail write-up here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11881

I charge on the supplied L1 EVSE each night. No need to plug in at work, but I can if i want to.
Recently, I purchased a new Panasonic Nissan LEAF L1 EVSE from EBay. (Got a good price) and sent that in to evseupgrade. I will use that in the garage for L2 charging and keep the L1 in the trunk. Why? Because I am lazy. ~~ And I also assume that daily plugging and unplugging of the EVSE cord from the garage wall outlet is unnecessary wear on the internal connectors.

My total cost was less than $900. (thanks to Ebay & evseupgrade)

otokron said:
Thank you for the replies smkettner, leafedbehind & davewill.

Will highly consider the EVSE Upgrade for now because of the portability convenience. So far I think it might be the best option and then, later on, purchase a home charger. It's more expensive than the Leviton ($749) being at $1072 with the 120v add-on for dual capacity, but the portability kinda makes for it. IMO.

I started out with this "temporary" use of my EVSE Upgrade option with the idea of installing a more permanent solution later. It's been two years and I'm still using the EVSE Upgrade as my daily plug. I just never see any reason to pay for that more permanent device :D

iamwjh said:
I drive 27 miles to work and 27 miles home, with PLENTY of range left. You can view my detail write-up here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11881

I charge on the supplied L1 EVSE each night. No need to plug in at work, but I can if i want to.
Recently, I purchased a new Panasonic Nissan LEAF L1 EVSE from EBay. (Got a good price) and sent that in to evseupgrade. I will use that in the garage for L2 charging and keep the L1 in the trunk. Why? Because I am lazy. ~~ And I also assume that daily plugging and unplugging of the EVSE cord from the garage wall outlet is unnecessary wear on the internal connectors.

My total cost was less than $900. (thanks to Ebay & evseupgrade)

iamwjh: There you go; Imho, you have the best setup for the price. It is simple, and serves your needs :)

The original "brick" EVSE is made by Panasonic Kitchen Appliances division for Nissan (as well as Mitsubishi, Honda, etc). It is by far the most rugged and reliable EVSE ever made, and once upgraded it becomes auto-adjusting and can operate on almost any outlet type using simple adapters. We have thousands of upgraded units in the field with extremely high satisfaction ratings (all over this forum everywhere you look). It will charge your Leaf at it's maximum level 2 speed when used on a 240v outlet. It's portable, or you can easily mount it on a wall. You also now get easily programmable amperage settings, so you can "dial it down" if you are on a limited power circuit, or you really want a "trickle" charge, say for example in airport long-term parking.

Our upgraded unit also now happens to be the #1 charging solution for Leaf owners in the US!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
It will charge your Leaf at it's maximum level 2 speed when used on a 240v outlet. It's portable, or you can easily mount it on a wall. You also now get easily programmable amperage settings, so you can "dial it down"
-Phil

Ingineer said:
Our upgraded unit also now happens to be the #1 charging solution for Leaf owners in the US!
-Phil

I want one for my '13 LEAF.

dcpatters said:
I want one for my '13 LEAF.

They do the upgrade for 2013 models too!!!
check out their web site. They are very friendly and responsive to emails too.
My upgraded unit is en route back to me, after a one-day turnaround. VERY FAST service and it provides a financially viable option to the store-bought units. I saved a lot of $$$ by having purchased a L1 EVSE off EBay and sending it in for the upgrade.
Of course, they do have options for upgrading your OEM EVSE too.

I can't wait to take advantage of the L2 charging with the services they have provided.

PS: you may find it to your advantage if you update your profile to include your location.

Yes, we are upgrading both the 2011-2012 and 2013 models. We also are now doing advanced replacement on the 2013's, and have a few brand new ones in-stock.

Website link below...

-Phil

I think they (http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) modded my evse and shipped it on the same day.

Ingineer said:
The original "brick" EVSE is made by Panasonic Kitchen Appliances division for Nissan (as well as Mitsubishi, Honda, etc). It is by far the most rugged and reliable EVSE ever made, and once upgraded it becomes auto-adjusting and can operate on almost any outlet type using simple adapters. We have thousands of upgraded units in the field with extremely high satisfaction ratings (all over this forum everywhere you look). It will charge your Leaf at it's maximum level 2 speed when used on a 240v outlet. It's portable, or you can easily mount it on a wall. You also now get easily programmable amperage settings, so you can "dial it down" if you are on a limited power circuit, or you really want a "trickle" charge, say for example in airport long-term parking.

-Phil

Just placed my order with Advanced Replacement! :D

On the instructions for the electrical requirements for charging states that it'd require a 20A Outlet and Breaker. I don't know much on this matter, is it ok if I go with a 30A outlet/breaker setting? That's what's available right now at my local ACE Hardware store and I'm receiving my EVSE Upgrade this week. :D

otokron said:
On the instructions for the electrical requirements for charging states that it'd require a 20A Outlet and Breaker. I don't know much on this matter, is it ok if I go with a 30A outlet/breaker setting? That's what's available right now at my local ACE Hardware store and I'm receiving my EVSE Upgrade this week. :D
The amperage of the outlet type should agree with the amperage of the breakers. The amperage of the breakers must not exceed the capacity of the wiring. As a rough rule of thumb, 12 gauge wire can support 20A and 10 gauge wire can support 30A, but you may need heavier wire for a very long run.

Other than that, do you think it would be hazardous to connect a 100w table lamp (less than 1A) to a 20A wall plug? No? Then I guess it follows that it would be safe to connect a 16A EVSE to a 320A outlet (not that you could ever find one).

Ray

Back