Kudos to the CANbus SOC meter team!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure what I will end up with, but there is no need to gouge out the ribs.

If one uses a D-subminiature 9-pin female and mount the flange on the outside of the
box, and fasten it with two Hex "Jack Screws" into two nuts inside, the hole cutting
(after drillig several holes) is not too bad.

But, it makes the box look a bit ugly, there on the side, but it would be very finctional.
What do you think?

garygid said:
If one uses a D-subminiature 9-pin female and mount the flange on the outside of the
box, and fasten it with two Hex "Jack Screws" into two nuts inside, the hole cutting
(after drillig several holes) is not too bad.

But, it makes the box look a bit ugly, there on the side, but it would be very finctional.
What do you think?

Had not thought to mount it from the outside.

Sure it would be ugly to have the flange on the outside, but that would hide any mistakes made in making the cutout (which would need to be slightly larger to take the shell of the male connector if mounted from the inside).

I'd have no problem doing it that way.

Would a Dremel tool work for cutting the hole in the SOC meter case? Obviously one would have to start a pilot hole (or two) with a drill, but after that....?

Generally, a skilled user can get great results from a motor-tool like Dremel.

But, spin too fast, too hard, too long against one spot of plastic and
it heats and melts (bad) instead of cutting or "sanding" (good).

I got to Alt-Car early enough on Friday that I was able to show my LEAF mods to interested members of the Drive Tour team (though I forgot to show them the uprated horn). Just thought I'd let you know that (unofficially, of course) they were very impressed with the engineering effort that went into the SOC meter! :D

Back