L3 Quick Charging from Home?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrink

Did anyone see this article?:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/nissan-quickcharger-half-the-size-at-half-the-price/#more-410950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts about that DC welder comparison in the last paragraph?

shrink said:
Any thoughts about that DC welder comparison in the last paragraph?

Um, non-sequitur apples-to-oranges comparison?

Some things you would need in a car charger you wouldn't need in a welder:
#1: Clean, regulated voltage.
#2: Car controlled current levels to keep the batteries healthy.
#3: Various safety communication protocols with the car for plug/unplug safety and such.
#4: Computer display showing pack fullness as communicated by the car.

It sounds like saying a hammer is less expensive than a computer controlled milling machine... So what?

Just due to utility companies having to buy/install bigger transformers - no way will a city ever let you wire your home to run 500 volts @ 125 amps. BUT - what say we forget the author's stupid welder idea and consider a REAL battery charger - if it were set up to run through the Leaf's quick charge port:
http://www.evsource.com/tls_pfc50.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My guess is that the hardest part about using this 50 amp Manzinata charger would be obtaining the male Chademo plug. Sure, it wouldn't be near as fast as a real Chademo - but it'd certainly be faster than the paltry on-board L2 capability ... maybe by a factor of 2 ?

If I remember correctly, there was at least one Rav4-EV that sucessfully pulled off something like this. In fact if I remember, the Manzinata was fed via a generator on a trailor, that the Rav4-EV pulled! Woah - I'm getting a rush just thinking about it.

:D

hill said:
My guess is that the hardest part about using this 50 amp Manzinata charger would be obtaining the male Chademo plug.

I think the hardest part would be the controller that translates CHAdeMO requests to the Manzanita's RegBus interface, if they're even compatible.

richard said:
hill said:
My guess is that the hardest part about using this 50 amp Manzinata charger would be obtaining the male Chademo plug.

I think the hardest part would be the controller that translates CHAdeMO requests to the Manzanita's RegBus interface, if they're even compatible.

I think the other issue is "isolation", the PFC-50 output is not isolated enough from the line voltage. At least thats what others have been saying about it. Hopefully Mr Rudman is working with someone with a Leaf on DC charging options, he did say he was intersted when I contacted him over a year ago about the idea.

Back