LAX terminal 6 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, I only need the free parking. This has been a really nice perk of owning the Leaf, but I don't see what business-sense it makes to give away their best parking free to EV drivers. Obviously I'm all for it, but it's just saving me money. I don't choose LAX over other airports because of this benefit. I don't have a choice (usually) where I fly out of. So why do they do it?

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I hate taxis and long term parking.

they dont really care about the cost of electricity. this is a city dept, just as is the DWP.
yes, they have separate budgets, but the control goes back to the mayor, really, and he wants Green, and the DWP has promoted it mightily.

LAX would need a submeter to even know the electric usage for EV charging.
Otherwise the general bill is so big the normal fluctuation will far exceed the EV usage.

If I take a shuttle or cab to avoid parking fee I will be flying out of Wayne.

I called charge point and asked parking lot attendant, neither knew. How did you find out new chargers were being installed

smkettner said:
LAX would need a submeter to even know the electric usage for EV charging.
Otherwise the general bill is so big the normal fluctuation will far exceed the EV usage. ...
I'm sure Chargepoint sends them a report.

The seventh post down shows a picture of the ClipperCreek J1772 units in lot #6.

http://forum.bmwactivatethefuture.com/showthread.php?t=1061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leland said:
The seventh post down shows a picture of the ClipperCreek J1772 units in lot #6.

http://forum.bmwactivatethefuture.com/showthread.php?t=1061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that's different...nevermind.

wq2345 said:
The free parking is the real attraction here.
If LAX begins to charge for the parking, the L2 J1772 EVSEs will just collect dust.
I suppose it might be useful when dropping/picking someone up, but even then it's doubtful how long one would use the spots.

If they do start charging for EV parking, then what is really needed is a couple dozen L1 spots in a prime location in Lot C for long term parking needs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
I guess I don't get why prime parking spots for EV's is essential. Where I work, they're on the far end of our parking structure ... not the close end. So boo hoo ... we have to walk an extra 10 minutes. Jeez. Having prime spots is why you often now days find plug-in's hogging spots that are necessary for charging ... regardless of the fact that the hoggers don't even charge.

The Tesla parked right next to me wasn't on the charger. Heck, It couldn't plug in if it wanted to because the plugs are different.

Unsurprisingly, ActiveE drivers aren't very well informed.

smkettner said:
LAX Lot 7 seems to have a bridge to Lot 1.... Has anyone used this lot similar to P-5?
If so has anyone spotted any standard 5-15 outlets in P-7?

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/LAX ParkingLot 2011-0411.pdf

Soon I will be flying out of terminal 7 so P-7 would work nicely.

I'm just now seeing this, but the answer is yes. BUT it is not easy to reach the chargers if you enter this way. If you come down to the arrivals level, the ramp dumps you off at the exit booths and you have to go against one way traffic to get back into the parking area (and thusly the chargers) on that level.

hill said:
wq2345 said:
The free parking is the real attraction here.
If LAX begins to charge for the parking, the L2 J1772 EVSEs will just collect dust.
I suppose it might be useful when dropping/picking someone up, but even then it's doubtful how long one would use the spots.

If they do start charging for EV parking, then what is really needed is a couple dozen L1 spots in a prime location in Lot C for long term parking needs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
I guess I don't get why prime parking spots for EV's is essential. Where I work, they're on the far end of our parking structure ... not the close end. So boo hoo ... we have to walk an extra 10 minutes. Jeez. Having prime spots is why you often now days find plug-in's hogging spots that are necessary for charging ... regardless of the fact that the hoggers don't even charge.

Fine - prime spots not needed.

But the idea of L1 spots in Lot C makes sense in my opinion.
Lot C has the shuttle so put it at the far end if needed. But L1 outlets would be a lot better than L2 spots no one will use in short-term parking if they start charging.

coolfilmaker said:
The Tesla parked right next to me wasn't on the charger. Heck, It couldn't plug in if it wanted to because the plugs are different.

Hmmm ... that seems a bit unfair. As a Leaf and ActiveE driver that doesn't seem right.
But hey that's fine. We don't know nothin'.

Here's a question for all - does anyone think LAX or any other similar facility will start installing DC quick chargers?
And if they do - will they have CHAdeMO or the recently announced SAE standard?

Kinda stinks really for some of us Leaf drivers - we ponied up for a QC port that might not get much use - or maybe it will.
Either way - the standard really should have been in place before - and I was definitely not informed at the time of ordering that it would change because of other manufacturers or SAE.

wq2345 said:
coolfilmaker said:

Hmmm ... that seems a bit unfair. As a Leaf and ActiveE driver that doesn't seem right.
But hey that's fine. We don't know nothin'.

Here's a question for all - does anyone think LAX or any other similar facility will start installing DC quick chargers?
And if they do - will they have CHAdeMO or the recently announced SAE standard?

Kinda stinks really for some of us Leaf drivers - we ponied up for a QC port that might not get much use - or maybe it will.
Either way - the standard really should have been in place before - and I was definitely not informed at the time of ordering that it would change because of other manufacturers or SAE.

I just think that if you can afford an ActiveE you should wait and get a Model S rather than supporting BMWs CARB credit scam.

There isn't a good place to install quick chargers at LAX. You'd spend an hour in traffic and half an hour charging. If you drive to Orange County often you can use the QC at Mitsubishi HQ. We're now using it weekly and it's amazing.

It's kind of sad that we have to impose on Mitsubishi to charge a Nissan... Nissan should be embarrassed by that!

And, no, I don't see Chaedmo QCs coming to LAX any time soon, if ever... I wonder at what point Nissan will adopt dual connectors; a Chademo and a SAE, to cover all the bases

coolfilmaker said:
If you drive to Orange County often you can use the QC at Mitsubishi HQ. We're now using it weekly and it's amazing.

coolfilmaker said:
I just think that if you can afford an ActiveE you should wait and get a Model S rather than supporting BMWs CARB credit scam.

There isn't a good place to install quick chargers at LAX. You'd spend an hour in traffic and half an hour charging. If you drive to Orange County often you can use the QC at Mitsubishi HQ. We're now using it weekly and it's amazing.

My down payment for the ActiveE was less than my Leaf down payment.
My lease payment for the ActiveE is LESS than my Leaf lease payment.

The Model S is in another league as far as costs are concerned. Potentially a fantastic vehicle, but why should I wait for a car that is going to have it's own growing pains? I want to drive electric now and have true 100 mile range. I suppose someone would say - get a Coda. Really? Instead of a BMW ActiveE?
By the way, I think putting money on a Model X now is not a bad idea. By the time it comes out (2014) the kinks of the Model S would hopefully have been straightened out. Just not sure about those wing doors.

I actually accept the kool-aid from BMW about how they are legitimately testing out the ActiveE before they put the i3 on dealer lots next Fall. As you may know, there have been ActiveE software issues whose fixes have already helped in their testing/development of the i3 and i8. I think there is something to be said about having real-world drivers testing it out.

Yes it is CARB play as much as the MiniE was but other manufacturers are even more dubious about it (i.e. Toyota RAV4 EV, etc.) Kudos to Mitsubishi and Nissan for putting out mass produced EVs before other manufacturers. I love my Leaf and expect I'll be staying in the Nissan Electric family when my Lease is up in 2 years. But also kudos to BMW for actually making this work as well so that we will see more EVs on the road. Every plug-in out there is a move in the right direction in my opinion.

No matter - I'm not gonna convince EV purists about the ActiveE or MiniE. I think though when people finally see the i3 it will become clear why the testing process was actually beneficial. Yes it's nasty they charge us for it - I do hate that part. But I am also charged a similar amount for my Nissan Leaf as well.

As far as DC quick chargers - I don't really think we know how and where they will be most useful. Along Highway 5 every 50 miles makes a lot of sense, but one could argue that having them in urban areas would also be good for those who are driving around for work etc. If you have a long drive to the airport to pick someone up, having a DC quick charge available in a short-term lot might be helpful.

wq2345 said:

I think they made you sign a paper with that information on it when you picked up your Leaf.

occ said:
Anyone knows if Lot 1 has those new J1772 Chargepoints operational yet?
Lot 1 has the same 2 Chargepoints and also several new Clipper Creeks that replaced the old paddle chargers (and don't require any type of membership/rfid thing.) See this thread.

Back