LEAF advisory group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flew United's in to LAX last week. A nice plane and cabin experience though the reading lights are too bright and not dimmable...

What I am really looking forward to is flying Quantas's A380 to Australia early next year!

TonyWilliams said:
Japan Airlines just started Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" service from SAN to Tokyo/Narita. I'm ready to go to Yokohama.

my in-laws rarely drive 20 miles a day each. one has an 8 mile RT commute she does 6-8 times a month. the other a 10 mile RT commute done 5 days a week. so that average commute means half do more, half do less but the short commuters far outnumber the long commuters. only 22% average more than 40 miles a day

getting gas is a chore. PERIOD. there is no two ways about it. only on long trips is getting gas a relatively short chore but you pay the price for the convenience most of the time.

there was a guy who did the 3rd party plug on his Prius and started a poll on how long it took to get gas. he said measure it from the time you pull in until you pull out of the station.

well, i did one farther. at the time my work commute took me thru the intersection of Martin Way and Marvin Road in Olympia. I always got gas at Costco which is in a shopping complex on the corner. So I timed how long it took from the time i turned off my commute until I was back into the flow of traffic on my way home. a detour of about 200 yards.

now the "time in, time out" at the gas station varied depending on how long I had to wait for a pump but was between 5 minutes and 17 minutes. average of about 9 ,minutes. but that 200 yard detour took another 4-9 minutes and it all really depended on me timing two left turn lights. hit the lights with light traffic and green and no problem. if not, well...

DaveinOlyWA said:
... there was a guy who did the 3rd party plug on his Prius and started a poll on how long it took to get gas. he said measure it from the time you pull in until you pull out of the station.

well, i did one farther. at the time my work commute took me thru the intersection of Martin Way and Marvin Road in Olympia. I always got gas at Costco which is in a shopping complex on the corner. So I timed how long it took from the time i turned off my commute until I was back into the flow of traffic on my way home. a detour of about 200 yards.

now the "time in, time out" at the gas station varied depending on how long I had to wait for a pump but was between 5 minutes and 17 minutes. average of about 9 ,minutes. but that 200 yard detour took another 4-9 minutes and it all really depended on me timing two left turn lights. hit the lights with light traffic and green and no problem. if not, well...

+1. For me, getting gas invariably means deviating from my intended route, additional signals, etc... My experience is similar to yours. Refueling easily adds 15 minutes to a trip in an ICE for me. With LEAF I'm over halfway to work or home in the time it would have taken me to fill up a gasoline vehicle.

Nubo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
... there was a guy who did the 3rd party plug on his Prius and started a poll on how long it took to get gas. he said measure it from the time you pull in until you pull out of the station.

+1. For me, getting gas invariably means deviating from my intended route, additional signals, etc... My experience is similar to yours. Refueling easily adds 15 minutes to a trip in an ICE for me. With LEAF I'm over halfway to work or home in the time it would have taken me to fill up a gasoline vehicle.

ya, and for me it was even more critical. i got off work at 4:30 and the intersection i mentioned is one of the busiest in Oly. stopping for gas INSURED an additional 5-10 minutes ( in addition to the time to get gas)going home due to the increase in traffic.

case in point; it took me about 11 minutes to get there in the morning (start at 6 am) if i got off work at 4:30 (rare) i would get home in about 14 minutes. Frequently had to work overtime so I would get off work at 5 or 5:30. if leaving at either of those times, it was 20-25 minutes to get home.

so, stopping for gas if getting off at 4:30...oh never mind. would chance trying to eek out another day on fumes first!

TomT said:
I flew United's in to LAX last week. A nice plane and cabin experience though the reading lights are too bright and not dimmable...

What I am really looking forward to is flying Quantas's A380 to Australia early next year!

TonyWilliams said:
Japan Airlines just started Boeing 787 "Dreamliner" service from SAN to Tokyo/Narita. I'm ready to go to Yokohama.

I flew the A380 with Emirates from DXB to JFK two years ago. It's definitely big! If I went non-stop to LAX, it would be a B777.

I had to slog from JFK to SAN in a "puddle jumper".

DaveinOlyWA said:
case in point; it took me about 11 minutes to get there in the morning (start at 6 am) if i got off work at 4:30 (rare) i would get home in about 14 minutes. Frequently had to work overtime so I would get off work at 5 or 5:30. if leaving at either of those times, it was 20-25 minutes to get home.

so, stopping for gas if getting off at 4:30...oh never mind. would chance trying to eek out another day on fumes first!

And then, if you're like me, realizing the next morning as are running late and start the car: "I still need to get gas!!!" :eek: :evil: :cry:

LEAF is always "fueled up" and ready to go in the morning. This is just one of the aspects of an EV that are a joy.

Nubo said:
LEAF is always "fueled up" and ready to go in the morning. This is just one of the aspects of an EV that are a joy.

Except for when you plan to just plug it in when you wake up since you only want about an hour and a half of juice and then realize 30 minutes before you leave that you forgot to plug it in when you woke up so you ended up spending an extra half an hour at a public plug before going into the office....but i digress....i hate it when Monday's arrive on Tuesday.

ksnogas2112 said:
Nubo said:

Except for when you plan to just plug it in when you wake up since you only want about an hour and a half of juice and then realize 30 minutes before you leave that you forgot to plug it in when you woke up so you ended up spending an extra half an hour at a public plug before going into the office....but i digress....i hate it when Monday's arrive on Tuesday.

in 5+ years of EV'ing, I have only done that twice. my morning routine for first 5 minutes is pretty consistent. I get up, make beeline to coffee pot. (no timer here) I grind beans, get pot going, go to bathrooom then wander out and plug in if needed which is about half the time in Summer, about ¼ of the time in Winter.

then go back in, get coffee and prepare for the day!

Nubo said:
Our LEAF is almost never "fueled up" and ready to go in the morning. This fact is a direct result of the fact that this Li-ion chemistry, like most today, suffers permanent degradation when the SOC is held at a very high level. Since we would like to extend the life of our LEAF's batteries as much as possible and we do not have a consistent schedule, we try to keep our SOC around 5 bars until a few hours before we are about to leave the house. This practice greatly complicates the use of the vehicle.

IMO, a battery technology which does not degrade when the SOC sits at 100% would make owning and operating an EV much simpler.

+1

This constant concern that, 'do I need a full charge tomorrow' is sometimes gets a bit cumbersome and annoying. Also there have been occasions when my planned 60+ mile trip got cancelled at the last minute and I had to take the Leaf for a spin to get the SOC down, only to find out that I have to leave as originally planned. As an EV enthusiast I can easily live with those quirks, but I can tell you none of my friends will tolerate that level of babying.

One should be able to keep the battery filled all the time and not worry about SOC and degradation and such. Atleast Tesla says keep it at 'Standard mode' (aka 90%) charge all the time.

I will be in Japan the 12/23 through 1/4. Want me to do anything for you? Flying into Haneda but not on a Dreamliner.

Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:
Let me know when you are thinking of going, that might be a fun trip!

-Phil

ksnogas2112 said:
Except for when you plan to just plug it in when you wake up since you only want about an hour and a half of juice and then realize 30 minutes before you leave that you forgot to plug it in ...

I just have a charge timer set to "finish by 5AM". That way, I can plug in at 7PM (or whenever) the night before, and let the battery sit at low SOC most of the night, then it "tops off" in the morning just before I need to head out again.

Having a time to complete charge timer set for early morning makes this simple...

RegGuheert said:
This practice greatly complicates the use of the vehicle.

IMO, a battery technology which does not degrade when the SOC sits at 100% would make owning and operating an EV much simpler.

Detracts from the joy of owning an driving an EV. The frailty of the battery (or the perception of the frailty) does seem to drive many owners to take measures to try and combat any accelerated degradation. Accelerated degradation wouldn't be an issue *if* we had a durable battery and a decent warranty.

I charge 80% every evening. I hit the override in the morning on the occasion I need the extra go juice.

In the summer I delay plugging in to allow the battery to cool. In the winter I plug in directly to prevent the battery freezing before starting a charge. Those are the only real accommodations I'm willing to do on a regular basis. If it means a little extra degradation, so be it.

The last three pages are related to 'Leaf Advisory Group' how?
Drees, please move the unrelated posts to their proper place and let's please reserve this just for the LAG. Thanks.

LEAFfan said:
The last three pages are related to 'Leaf Advisory Group' how?
Drees, please move the unrelated posts to their proper place and let's please reserve this just for the LAG. Thanks.
We were making marketing suggestions to Nissan. I offered that ease of maintenance and time savings are probably not the best angles from which to market the LEAF. Obviously not everyone agrees! (And that's okay.)

mkjayakumar said:
+1
This constant concern that, 'do I need a full charge tomorrow' is sometimes gets a bit cumbersome and annoying. Also there have been occasions when my planned 60+ mile trip got cancelled at the last minute and I had to take the Leaf for a spin to get the SOC down, only to find out that I have to leave as originally planned. As an EV enthusiast I can easily live with those quirks, but I can tell you none of my friends will tolerate that level of babying.
The easiest thing to do is turn on the defroster for 30 to 60 minutes with the window open.

Back