LEAF Collision Experiences

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1ghtrider

I was broadsided at an intersection by a much larger SUV today. :cry: The SUV hit me at full speed on the left front fender, crushing the body panel, breaking the axle and knocking the top of the wheel to a 45 degree angle inward. The airbags deployed, but I still hit the inside of the left door hard with my shoulder. I will follow-up with repair estimates and concealed damage reports, etc.

N1ghtrider said:
I was broadsided at an intersection by a much larger SUV today. :cry: The SUV hit me at full speed on the left front fender, crushing the body panel, breaking the axle and knocking the top of the wheel to a 45 degree angle inward. The airbags deployed, but I still hit the inside of the left door hard with my shoulder. I will follow-up with repair estimates and concealed damage reports, etc.
Ouch! Hope you are okay! Do you feel like the Leaf protected you well?

I'm wondering: Does the side curtain airbag not go down far enough to protect your shoulder? Does it only protect your head?

Looking at the crash test photos here (scroll down to see them), it appears that the side impact airbag does not extend down to the shoulder area.

IIHS%5Cgallery%5C1483_3.jpg

From the description of the damage your car is totaled. My guess is that the repair estimate will come in at the $22k mark.

993661_10200821447036508_385019366_n.jpg

sorry to hear about your loss, glad to hear you're ok.

i've seen someone post a wrecked fisker the other day, still waiting for parts

atlleaf said:
(Fisker karma)
You know what'd be perfect? If the guy wit the car just off to the right parked just a little closer and hit the Karma with his door. The little extra ding in the paint that makes the masterpiece.

Also I had no idea it was THAT packed under the hood. For such a wide car I wouldn't expect it to be that crowded... maybe the width was a necessity rather than a styling choice.
=Smidge=

I should have taken a picture of the left front, with the wheel broken off, but I was too annoyed with the situation. I have a bruise on my left shoulder and a mark from my seat belt near my left clavicle. My neck hurts but I am okay. My face hit the airbag (maybe both of them) and the odor of the gas from those airbags after the crash (and after my car quit running) was somewhat caustic. No estimate yet but I will report back.

N1ghtrider said:

Sorry to hear that. Are you physically ok?

As to the car, hopefully your insurance will enable you to get a 2013 model at practically no financial cost.

As someone who just totaled a 2013, I can say that the depreciate is pretty rough, but the way the tax incentives get handled in a Lease and because I negotiated price so damn hard, I ended up doing OK on the financial end. It doesn't take much to total a Leaf. My front met a pathfinders rear at about 20 mph. No airbag deployment, but the total repair bill came to 18k. There was some part that if damaged, is pretty much a kiss of death as it toasts your motor and battery pack. On the plus side, the spare parts market for metallic slate doors and rear body panels and interior parts just got a boost :(

I never got the dollar amount of the repair estimate, but USAA says the market value of my car was $20,780 and that it is totaled. I assume that I am going to owe something more for the early termination of the lease. I hope I save enough on the lower payments for a 2013 to make up for that.

Back