LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Consumer Reports review including remarks about brake fluid changes:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/07/zen-and-the-art-of-nissan-leaf-maintenance/index.htm

"We called Nissan and they explained that brake fluid has a fairly high tendency to absorb moisture and should be replaced regularly in any car, especially with today’s anti-lock braking (ABS) and electronic stability control systems. “Increasing the brake fluid replacement frequency reduces the likelihood of braking performance issues due to increased moisture content,” a spokesperson wrote in an email.

It may be that with an all-electric car and frequent use of the regenerative brakes, the company is concerned that the hydraulic brakes may get used so little that increased moisture could build up, leading to rusted and dangerous brake lines. "

I believe water in your brake lines/fluid from condensation also leads to stopping/braking failure. Preventive measure for a "possible" problem.

Kathy

I just completed my battery check at Hendrick Nissan and was pleased with the service. I worked with Darrell Watkins, Service Consultant and also met Chris Ellemann, with whom I had spoken on the phone prior to my appointment and who had mentioned giving both Dr. Hermanns and the rest of us a flat rate of $60. I was charged $64.50 (I think that was Darrell's booboo, but not gonna quibble over $4.50, because it was reasonably close to work).

I had them do a tire rotation while I was there, $24.95 (expected). I was in and out in about 35-40 minutes. Car wash included (Fenton gives you a card for a free car wash at a place on Barry Road, if you ask).

There was an "SSD service charge" of $9.84 (for service/stuff they didn't actually dispose of on a Leaf like oil and rags, etc.), plus tax for $8.92, so I didn't get out of there as cheaply as I thought I would. Grand total was $108.21.

I mentioned that at my last tire rotation, a valve cap was left off after airing the tires and inquired if they could throw one on there...they replaced all of my valve caps for free (very nice courtesy).

All in all, a very good experience and an accommodating, friendly and professional staff at Hendrick. I recommend taking your car there for service, if you don't head out to McCarthy to save a couple more bucks. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are easier to get in for appointments there (mine scheduled for was 1:00 p.m.).

Tell them you're in our "Leaf club," ask for the $60 rate (check that on the bill) and ask them to remove the SSD charge when you get the bill (I think they should - our shop, Dominick's A-1 Alignment @ 1609 Charlotte does it for me when it's not necessary - the computer adds it automatically).

Of course, my battery check reported all 5 stars and 11 capacity bars. :)

Kathy

As a follow-up, I emailed Darrell asking for a correction to the car's mileage he'd noted on my form (thought it might be stored in their database/affect a service interval flag) and perhaps a credit for the SSD charge and the $4.50. He called and was very polite about not being able to remove the SSD charge, but is crediting the $4.50 to my card. This dealership has been very accommodating to my needs, so still recommending highly for service, if needed by anyone.

Kathy

According to chargepoint.com, it looks like KCP&L just added 12 EVSEs in Clinton, MO within LEAF range (65 miles) of, say, the Lee's Summit HyVee L3 charger. This could be the ticket for opening up the Lake of the Ozarks area.

Name: KCP&L / @CMTY CTR -115A
Address: 1004 E Sedalia Ave, @ Clinton Community Center, Clinton, MO
Plug Type: Level 2 - Ports: 2
Station Description: Parking lot north of the community center across E. Sedalia Ave.

Name: KCP&L / @CITY HALL-114B
Address: 105 E Ohio St, @ City Hall, Clinton, MO
Plug Type: Level 2 - Ports: 2
Station Description: Front parking lot along E. Ohio St.

Google Maps link from said HyVee: https://goo.gl/CHmUoz

Of course, it's a bit of a risk in case they don't work. :-o If I'm down that way with my Tesla, I'll have to check it out.

Karl

Karl,
If they don't work there's a 7th unadvertised plug at the Jim Falk Motors in Clinton. They sell Volts and with advance calling will let Leaf's charge. The challenge was getting there.
Another note, the distance is 3 miles further from the 151st Hy-Vee L3 in Overland Park.

The problem with the L3 to Clinton is driving 55 on those roads because you won't make it at 70/75 that everyone drives. And don't forget there are 6 L2's in Belton if you get nervous.

Tom

The WalMart chargers are now online, and I added them to PlugShare: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/73560

The spaces are not yet painted, but they're so far back in the lot that nobody was parked there when I drove by today.

MobileEV said:
The Walmart at 72nd and North Prospect Street in the Northland of Kansas City Missouri is getting EVSEs. They are installed but not yet connected. They are in the southwest corner right behind the Walmart sign.

Attachments

• Walmart2.jpg
    Walmart2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Walmart3.jpg
    Walmart3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 36
Oh, the evse's at the Truman Sports Complex are not only working, not ICE'd, but the parking staff actually knows about them, knows where to park you, and recognizes EV's. No, wasn't there during the post season but it was the night they hoisted the AL Central pennant.

#TakeTheCrown

Tom

According to ChargePoint, they were all being used during one of the game nights. I'm curious if there are really that many plug-in drivers going to the games?

ksnogas2112 said:
Oh, the evse's at the Truman Sports Complex are not only working, not ICE'd, but the parking staff actually knows about them, knows where to park you, and recognizes EV's. No, wasn't there during the post season but it was the night they hoisted the AL Central pennant.

#TakeTheCrown

Tom

The night I was at the game was the night they hoisted the AL Central Penant. There were three plug-ins that night. My Leaf, a Volt, and a Tesla.

----------------
On a different note, I had to get a new tire after a screw messed up on of the ones I got last fall. The manager was smiling when he said the tech that went to get my car to get the tire was just sitting in the car with a confused look. Finally the manager went out to see what was wrong. The tech told him it just wouldn't turn on. They hadn't told the tech it was an electric and he didn't know. So he was sitting in the 'running' Leaf without realizing it was ready.

=))))))))))))

Oh...after a week of the start up sounds I turned them all off and the radio was off so he really didn't have a clue other than the dash turning on.

The story was almost worth the cost of a new tire....well ok the tax on a new tire.

Tom

Several more EVSEs have popped up on the ChargePoint map, so I researched the Liberty WalMart installation. It's live with 6 ChargePoint Level 2 EVSE. I added a PlugShare entry including pictures: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/76351

On another note, I now drive to Parkville about once per week to take my daughter to a dance class, so I noticed these campground type plug installations all over the park area south of the RR tracks (see picture). Some are close to parking space, while others are off deep into the grassy area. There are 4 L1 120V outlets on each side, and although some had locks hanging from them, they were not locked. Although L1 doesn't bring much, particularly when there's a lovely DCQC just a few miles up the road (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/60911), I wonder whom once could contact to see about getting permission to plug in a car while in town. I might start with the Chamber of Commerce.

Enjoy the lovely weekend!

Karl

Attachments

• Parkville plugs.jpg
    Parkville plugs.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 69
Just finished installing my open evse charger!
7rfa77TmVTn3SEvPgJJK_5WnW0alHtYT-iH8m2SyBjkjpsVJ3mUUy1jPlIDAZyP1ReO-cVMnsAr6IT6EfeSpOWdv0DpuqJjqLKsiyQsLyRX1LkaxYd9OipUFNRJYLcS1TtOyZxgrSWCHgqQtFRMPMTjbqLZe8ASQN7m1poICq2XvdN-FUt-ZHMuUWmBwSlG5E_u5iGjHLKjriluXb87A5BKUKAa6pEHLTzToyHUBHos16c-fK64VpnlE0dNd7AOwtx_Y124AZ3VzSiY9hVjh0mzMecHkVaeIgmptkNLTIYuwyJWo63jUa3TYDUwt62_55-3LwBKHV-Wvo9yv2p6Oj3z-nUmJYdI8OvTK8EAcaQdtpXpg_LOznQJM9TNFIqrBmwpRg3derkg_pUPr_QBSSYOh_suvlP3IIUjSdAM6OHjl5COY345QBnMWSsbpRoRSlUCXGXMrc8s4urojRKRq5bv7Pf7rNQIXw3mVZWELjUBW8fIgtglP-jw7zPznfrRuR3enBli1niQ3EhR7-n7pIBeUhLCuH0zcdMNT_FIEh4XA=w1250-h703-no

It's that time of the year again.

My tires were getting a bit bare, so I had them replaced several weeks ago. It was kind of expensive, $605.00, but at least it is done. I always enjoy the seat heaters and steering wheel heater this time of the year. Now that I've had my car for over 3 1/2 years, I wonder when it'll be time to replace the battery ... does anyone know?

Eric,

I replaced two tires in summer due to a nail on one side. With slick road weather approaching and my wife now using the LEAF as her primary daily driver, I'm thinking about doing the other two as well. I was able to get around $120 a piece for OEM style tires at WalMart in the Northlands (they have an EVSE now :) ).

Regarding the battery, it's probably a question of your driving range. We are still OK for daily trips and we have a Tesla and minivan backup when it becomes iffy. I will probably stick it out with mine (83% health) a bit longer and just start charging to 100% (so far we had been using with 80%).

The LEAF 2.0 is starting to look good...

Karl

ericvoll said:
It's that time of the year again.

My tires were getting a bit bare, so I had them replaced several weeks ago. It was kind of expensive, $605.00, but at least it is done. I always enjoy the seat heaters and steering wheel heater this time of the year. Now that I've had my car for over 3 1/2 years, I wonder when it'll be time to replace the battery ... does anyone know?

How about the 12V lead acid battery? I wonder how long it'll last. I'm holding out for the self driving cars. I wonder when they will come out.

I replaced by 12V before it got cold since, again, the LEAF is my wife's daily driver now and I didn't want her getting the car bricked somewhere. Cheap insurance.

Karl

I'm on my second set of tires - last winter was the change - with 1 replacement also due to a nail

I'm still only 1 capacity bar down and no problems with the 12 volt

all this with a grand total of over 37k miles

Back