Leaf+Launch=Trouble

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iR0ck

Hello everyone. Want to share with you my story and ask for help.
I have a 2017 ZE1 Nissan Leaf with a 40 kWh battery. My stats were: odo 14000km, 106.25 AHr, SOH=92%, the real range was about 240-250km with 10% to spare in leafspy (20 degrees C.)
So, here is the story. I repaired one of the failed modules and was getting 240+km since then. Don't ask me why, but one day I decided that would be good to erase the previous history so the battery computer could relearn and readjust itself based on the current owner's habits. So I got the Launch X431 and erased the battery parameters. The next morning I couldn't believe my eyes, the SOH dropped to 60% and I only had 69.3 AHr capacity. The range is also dropped, on the dash showed 160km instead of the theoretical 260km. And surprisingly on a full charge I only could do 235km before the car completely dead (no 240+ anymore huh?)
I towed it home, charged it, and reset it with Launch again. This time, I checked what VIN is in the battery, and re-entered the same VIN again. After that the car showed me different stats, now I have 76 AHr, SOH=65.9% and the estimated mileage is 186km.
Clearly, something is going on with the computer parameters which are affecting SOH and the range.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any idea on how to rehabilitate the Leaf.
The Launch is complete junk.
P.S. I used Nissan V45.10 in Launch.

knightmb said:
Any chance you made a backup of the data before erasing? At least to restore it to what it had before?

Good point, but if I had I wouldn't ask for help :D

iR0ck said:
Stanton said:
I have no idea what "Launch" is.

Launch X431 universal diagnostic tool. Most mechanics use it to diagnose and repair cars.

Never use an unverified OBDII diagnostic tool on a BEV. Remember, just because a BEV uses the same type of 16 pin
connector as an ICEV, which are OBDII compliant, doesn't mean any OBDII scanner can/should be used on a BEV.
A BEV's diagnostics are totally different, and also are not standardized among the various BEV manufacturers.
Why risk having unknown CAN commands being input to the various Leaf ECUs, risking a possible re-flash
or parameter changes to the ECUs? The LeafSpy diagnostic tool and the Nissan Dealer Consult tool are the only
tools to consider using on a Leaf.

Back