Leaf - Lowest Temperature Reading this Winter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My battery temperature has been zero bars after leaving the car at work. No regen but otherwise no adverse affects noted. The battery heater does run, but not enough to add anything to the driving experience.

Here in Texas, I've only gone as low as 4 bars, usually when the temperature has been hovering around freezing.

I picked my 2014 up at the end of January in the winter that won't quit. I haven't seen more then 4 bars of temp and the lowest I have seen was 2 bars. Lowest temp reading here in Ontario was -17c but I was lucky to miss the colder stuff early in January.

My lowest was -20!

Then after one week the heat pump died. I took it to my nissan dealer and they had four other 2013 leafs with the same problem. That is why we don't use heat pumps in colorado.

rw86347 said:
My lowest was -20!

Then after one week the heat pump died. I took it to my nissan dealer and they had four other 2013 leafs with the same problem. That is why we don't use heat pumps in colorado.

The heat pump should stay off at that temp, and the resistance heater should be doing the heating.

cwerdna said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz2WzLQ2tqg shows 0 temperature bars.

I understand that there's a lot of variation in the temperature bar scale, but for the same battery temp as his according to LEAF Spy, I would still have two bars.

Cold Weather Bars

Three bars: Down to about 18°F
Two bars : ~ 8°F - 18°F
One bar : Lower bound: Unknown. Upper bound : ~8°F
Zero bars : I've never seen zero bars. The lowest temp seen on LEAF Spy was 4°F with one bar and power reduced to four bubbles.

I've seen -20F ( -29 Celsius) in Montreal.
0 bar was common this winter if the car was not used for more than a day in the 0 to -20F days.
LeafSpy reported once the battery temp at -18C (0F) and I had limited power on that condition but power came back after 10 miles.
Driving 40 miles a day kept the battery warmer and I usually finished my drive with at least 1 temperature bar.

Interesting to me that two have you have reported limited power with zero temperature bars. I've seen zero bars here multiple times and I haven't had limited power. Always limited regen from November-May but never power.

For mynameisjim, I also saw lower power at below -27c for an example. That maximum speed on the highway was 105km/h (about 64 mph). Once you are at no bar, you do not know how cold the battery is. My car is outside year-round.

Ive never seen lower than 3. And I hope to keep it that way. I'm jealous of you people who have never seen less than 5 bars.. someday I'll live in a climate like that. Hopefully leafs will have a more heat tolerant battery by then.

Lowest temperature my LEAF encountered was -15F. The coldest the battery has ever been was 10.9F (zero bars).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz2WzLQ2tqg[/youtube]

Back