LEAF paint....soooooo thin!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, I managed to scratch the paint on my LEAF with a standard issue plastic ice-scraper. I guess I could have been more gentle clearing the ice of the car, but it's the first time I've ever damaged a vehicle doing that. Needless to say, I'm not surprised to find this thread questioning the quality of the paint job.

Then, on the highway an object emerged from under a pick-up, flew across two lanes, and smacked my LEAF somewhere near the right fog light. I thought it was rectangular and possibly a small mud flap, but my passenger thought it was a plastic wheel cover. The impact was at over 100km/hr.

However, I haven't been able to detect the slightest sign of damage. Go figure.

Yep - the thread is nearly 2 1/2 years old berlino. That's a bunch of shocked owners, as the 1st few thin flakes/chips/particles go bye bye.

sethr said:
Last week I went to Ziebart's to have my Leaf given a pre-winter wax. (They go crazy with road salt where I live.) When I mentioned the thin paint of the Leaf, the manager said "let's see" and got out a paint thickness measuring device. I have never heard of one, and have no idea if it is reliably accurate. But... he put it on my Leaf and then on a Camaro parked nearby. The reading on the Camaro was THREE TIMES the reading on my Leaf. (And no, he didn't try to sell me anything extra. He just seemed genuinely curious.)

Either the Camaro was a repaint, or u are in trouble. I used a ptg on mine today and it read 4.2-4.8 mil. No Gm vehicle has stock paint in the 12mil range. They are usually 4-6 mil.

I prepped and applied opticoat pro to mine today. It's a pearl white w a 12/13 build and it had metal fallout all over it. I used wolfs decon gel after wash and prior to claying.

3whr.jpg

Back