Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Or not buy at all.
If at all possible, that is the right approach since a year from now cars bought today are going to have eye-watering depreciation. I'm not saying that pre-covid car prices are available today, I am saying that all car prices today are sky high and any purchase will look bad a year from now.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Or not buy at all.
If at all possible, that is the right approach since a year from now cars bought today are going to have eye-watering depreciation. I'm not saying that pre-covid car prices are available today, I am saying that all car prices today are sky high and any purchase will look bad a year from now.

Yep. Its a vicious cycle but there is also frequently a cost to wait.

[/quote]

Or not buy at all. Where are all these deals you are referring to?
[/quote]

I have been able to find 3 different dealers willing to sell for $40k OTD which works out to about $1,600 below MSRP for a SL+ with two tone pearl white paint. This is with 0% financing and there are no state level incentives in North Carolina. I feel pretty confident I will be able to get around $2,000 below MSRP around the new year with a OTD price around $39,500.

[/quote]

I have been able to find 3 different dealers willing to sell for $40k OTD which works out to about $1,600 below MSRP for a SL+ with two tone pearl white paint. This is with 0% financing and there are no state level incentives in North Carolina. I feel pretty confident I will be able to get around $2,000 below MSRP around the new year with a OTD price around $39,500.
[/quote]

Well the zero % factor is a definitely a value added factor. I ended up buying out my lease because I just didn't see anything that was enough of an upgrade to get. I was pretty shocked to get a low rate on the loan and thinking I probably squeaked in just in time considering how prices are going.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Or not buy at all.

Yep. Its a vicious ...
I found similar cars to my 2013 LEAF on Carvana today. They are priced at 2x what I paid 5 years ago. Last month I sold my Tesla Model 3 to CarMax for more than I paid for it 3.5 years ago.

It seems pretty easy to guess that buying now carries a $10k premium between car price and near-term depreciation, if not more.

oxothuk said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf sold 46% more YoY in 2021 vs. 2020. No need to discount right now.
They are already discounted with the MSRP reduction for 2022. So yeah, no need for an additional discount.

I just checked prices on nissanusa.com and it lists a SL+ MSRP at $44,395. Did they raise prices this week?

NEVER MIND. THAT WAS MSRP FOR 2021 SL+

DaveinOlyWA said:

Well the zero % factor is a definitely a value added factor. I ended up buying out my lease because I just didn't see anything that was enough of an upgrade to get. I was pretty shocked to get a low rate on the loan and thinking I probably squeaked in just in time considering how prices are going.

When I bought our 2020 in December 2020 I bought it for $38,000 OTD. That was with a 6% sales tax in Florida after $4,000 discount, $6,500 in rebates plus fees. I paid cash at the time and I was able to claim the $7,500 red tax credit which brought the net cost to $30,500. I was replacing a totaled 2019 SL+ which my insurance company paid me $32,614 for. I made $2,000 on the replacement after tax credits and all taxes and fees. I

The 0% financing TODAY has exceptional value if you keep the car any significant period of time.

Hi All, about to get a Nissan Leaf SV plus at MSRP. I plan to take advantage of the zero % for 72 months.
Will I still get the $7,500 if I finance?
They are not giving any discounts on any leafs around here, some selling above msrp

Thank you

You should qualify for the tax credit. How much you get depends on your tax liability (how much tax you pay in 2022). The credit is the lessor of your tax bill or $7500.

Yes as of now the 7500 is a credit not a refund but that could change. However if you don’t have a large tax bill you can adjust your withholding on your W-4 by claiming more dependants which lowers how much tax they take from your check. For example if you usually have to pay 1000 at tax time then you would want the government to take 6500 less for the rest of the year thereby creating a 7500 tax bill next year that then gets offset by the credit. Plus you start getting your credit as basically a monthly payment on your paycheck.

Now as far as deals I just bought a 2022 S Plus at msrp plus I didn’t pay for the dealer added options that a lot of them are adding today. Deals can be had but have to look and keep looking. Took me a month to find this deal and it’s 231 miles away. Most are charging 3-6k over msrp plus dealer added options. What I did is used Nissan shop at home thing and it gave me the price at msrp with a certificate#. When salesman verified it was still available(it was their last one) I sent him the certificate and said I’m ready to buy. They tried to get me to pay for the added options but refused and they sold it to me out the door 37500.

2022SPlus said:
Yes as of now the 7500 is a credit not a refund but that could change. However if you don’t have a large tax bill you can adjust your withholding on your W-4 by claiming more dependants which lowers how much tax they take from your check. For example if you usually have to pay 1000 at tax time then you would want the government to take 6500 less for the rest of the year thereby creating a 7500 tax bill next year that then gets offset by the credit. Plus you start getting your credit as basically a monthly payment on your paycheck.

Incorrect!
You are not changing tax liability by changing withholding. The only way to get full credit (among others less common) is to increase your salary, harvest capital gains, or convert regular IRA to Roth.

If you normally have 10000/yr in taxes taken out by the feds from your paychecks and at tax time you owe $0 you could change your dependents on your W4 and the feds will take less in taxes from each check. So instead of taking 10000/yr they take 2500. You would still owe for the xtra 7500 but you have a sweet 7500 credit you get to claim. If you get a refund or owe nothing at tax time this credit doesn’t do much for you because it’s a credit not a refundable credit. It can only reduce your tax bill to 0. Taking the credit in your paychecks as mentioned above is how you get around that. That’s how I got my tax credit from the solar system I bought in 2017 and how I plan on taking this credit. Better than letting the government hang on to your money for the next year.

^^ Read Tomas' reply above.
You have it wrong -- withholding does not affect the credit eligibility or amount.

I bought our 2020 late in the year due to having my 2019 totaled in November. I was taking withholding out of our paychecks enough so I wold owe about $700 come tax filing time.

Being that I bought the Leaf at the end of the year, instead of paying $700 I received a tax refund of $6,800 from the IRS into my bank account that year, with the $7,500 tax credit applied.

Leaf Inventory appears to be drying up in the east and now the 0% financing is gone. With Russia invading Ukraine and Biden unwilling to open the US oil spigot, gonna get tougher to buy an EV.

Back