Leaf was my "Gateway Drug"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
After 7+ years and 5 Nissan Leafs my wife and I graduated to a stronger addiction

We now have 2- 2023 Tesla Model Y's and a of yesterday we also have '23 Ford Lightning Lariat w/Extended Range Battery.

For sure we will miss simplicity of the Leaf and appreciate Nissan introducing us to EVs.

We considered a Ariya but the the charging infrastructure in the Tesla won us over. Wehn Ford announced they would be using Tesla NACS charging network we started to look at them Then hti week ford announced a $7,500 REBATE in addition to qualifying for the $7,500 Tax Credit and we found a perfectly equipped Lightning on a dealer lot that qualified for the tax credit.

Flyct said:
For sure we will miss simplicity of the Leaf and appreciate Nissan introducing us to EVs.
That's a fact: too bad they didn't have the leadership/vision to leverage that position.
Don't know how far you live from the Orlando (metropolitan) area, but we sure would like to include your EV "fleet" at our next EVA function/meeting. Sounds like you are "all in" on EVs!

Stanton said:
Flyct said:
That's a fact: too bad they didn't have the leadership/vision to leverage that position.
Don't know how far you live from the Orlando (metropolitan) area, but we sure would like to include your EV "fleet" at our next EVA function/meeting. Sounds like you are "all in" on EVs!

Thanks for the invitation. We live in East Bradenton and have a remote cabin in Ft Drum about 25 miles north of Okeechobee. The EVs are a perfect fit to commute between the properties.

We bought our Ford Lightning from Weikert Ford in Lake Wales. Great experience. Searched inventory at Ford.com and found one exactly equipped like we wanted at Weikert. Negotiated on the phone and drove the 2 hours to pick it up the same day. They beat every other dealer fo price. They had no issue accepting personal check for the truck.

Flyct said:
Then hti week ford announced a $7,500 REBATE in addition to qualifying for the $7,500 Tax Credit and we found a perfectly equipped Lightning on a dealer lot that qualified for the tax credit.

Have a link or two handy ?

Sold my Leafy today after 12 years and 194k trouble free miles, well, except for the crappy battery that needed replacement. I appreciate the technology but decided I needed a break from EVs, current plan is to enjoy the convenience that ICE offers until it becomes illegal in the state of CA. I may reconsider later, but this is where I am now.

Ideology aside, neither my housemate (a very recent EV convert) nor I find ICE vehicles at all enjoyable. Sitting at a stoplight and having an engine running for no good reason is just annoying, and the power curve of most engines makes them less fun to drive. These things, along with the smell, make even expensive luxury cars seem crude to us. She might go for a truly reliable, long-lived plug-in hybrid (or not, as her PIP really let her down) but after a lifetime of being a car and motorcycle guy, I'm just not interested in them any longer. I hope that you can still enjoy them.

LeftieBiker said:
Sitting at a stoplight and having an engine running for no good reason is just annoying, and the power curve of most engines makes them less fun to drive.

Agreed. Since my wife quit driving, our '13 Volt has become the vehicle we use daily for errands (and my poor LEAF sits forlorn in the driveway). The most annoying thing in the world is on the rare occasion we exceed its 32 miles of range and the "generator" kicks in. Gah!

I still have my '15 SV (only 27.6k miles, 11 bars, 85% SOH) and have no intention of giving it up any time soon. Our youngest went for his first drive ever in it yesterday, and will likely end up with it for to/from whatever.

LeftieBiker said:
Ideology aside, neither my housemate (a very recent EV convert) nor I find ICE vehicles at all enjoyable. Sitting at a stoplight and having an engine running for no good reason is just annoying, and the power curve of most engines makes them less fun to drive. These things, along with the smell, make even expensive luxury cars seem crude to us. She might go for a truly reliable, long-lived plug-in hybrid (or not, as her PIP really let her down) but after a lifetime of being a car and motorcycle guy, I'm just not interested in them any longer. I hope that you can still enjoy them.

ICE are just smelly sluggish blobs to me any more.

Back