LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Pics of Mount on Driver side "A" Piller Wing Window.

Attachments

• LEafDDWindowMount4.jpg
    LEafDDWindowMount4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 115
  • LEafDDWindowMount5.jpg
    LEafDDWindowMount5.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 115
Kind of like what I did with my Lincomatic and Velcro... (This picture was taken before the update that added a rotary/push switch at the top and many more pages of information...)

2vx16qu.jpg

TomT said:
Kind of like what I did with my Lincomatic and Velcro... (This picture was taken before the update that added a rotary/push switch at the top and many more pages of information...)

2vx16qu.jpg
[/quote

Yes I like it on the Left it stays out of the Sun to.. :)

thew said:
Got my LEAF DD Installed, Pics Below, I found a Nice Bell $4.99 suction cup Window Mount for it. :)

So Far I have discovered that since the Re flash I seem to not be charging to Full.
Ill collect data this week and come back for some Group thoughts when I have numbers.

Thanks Greg for a Great Tool!. IF your want to make more, I can help you sell them out on the open Market.. No cost to you.. But I do have the Connections.

Thanks Again.

Next ill Start Tracking some GIDS.
Do you have a make/model # for that mount? I have my LeafDD in that same spot, but just sitting on the dash as I haven't figured out a mounting solution yet. BTW, that panel is easy to remove, if you drill a small hole near the edge, you can route the cable nicely, without the hole being really noticeable if you do remove the cable.

leafdd01.jpg

leafdd04.jpg

Stanton said:
I NEVER unplug my LeafDD and have NEVER had a problem in almost a year now, which includes stretches of parking at the airport for a week at a time (I have LeafDD #8); I don't think the ghost current draw is much of an issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the LeafDD is a wonderful thing :D

Ditto!

Leave it in!

#22000 -8 :) .

Its in the Picture attached.. Look at the Bottom Corner of the Image its printed on the Card.. Just hit your Local AutoZone etc.. They may not have this one but they will have something.. Its really for a Radar or Ezpass unit.. But fits Great in the Wing window.

Attachments

• LEafDDWindowMount5.jpg
    LEafDDWindowMount5.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 67
  • LEafDDWindowMount.jpg
    LEafDDWindowMount.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
ampitupco said:
Stanton said:
I NEVER unplug my LeafDD and have NEVER had a problem in almost a year now, which includes stretches of parking at the airport for a week at a time (I have LeafDD #8); I don't think the ghost current draw is much of an issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the LeafDD is a wonderful thing :D

Ditto!

Leave it in!

It will discharge your 12 V battery if you leave it sitting for a few weeks.. But so will the EVSE Pilot Draw .. So its best to leave your LEAF unplugged from your EVSE and I would unplug my LEAFDD if Sitting for more than a week.

thew said:
ampitupco said:
Stanton said:

Ditto!

Leave it in!

It will discharge your 12 V battery if you leave it sitting for a few weeks.. But so will the EVSE Pilot Draw .. So its best to leave your LEAF unplugged from your EVSE and I would unplug my LEAFDD if Sitting for more than a week.
I left mine plugged in for 3 weeks while I was away on business. The 12V battery was fine when I got back. :?

hmm.. while I personally wouldn't leave it plugged in for 3 weeks I should also note one other issue with the LeafDD..
If after re-plugging it does NOT light up.. you might need to try a few times. Or let it sit for a while unplugged then re-plug.
Once it comes on it's fine as long as it is powered, but the cold start on the OLED display sometimes doesn't go well.
It's a rare issue so I didn't dig into it much to try and solve it. But if it doesn't come to life after being unplugged, be patient :)

thew said:
So Far I have discovered that since the Re flash I seem to not be charging to Full.
Ill collect data this week and come back for some Group thoughts when I have numbers.
I'll be interested in what you report. You car is three years old. I would expect all the numbers to be less than full. Except maybe SOC, and that only goes to around 94%.

gbarry42 said:
thew said:
I'll be interested in what you report. You car is three years old. I would expect all the numbers to be less than full. Except maybe SOC, and that only goes to around 94%.

3 years old but Very low miles.. Still not yet at 9000. ALways Charged to 80% etc..

I picked up a LeafDD a couple weeks ago after someone showed me one at an auto show. His LeafDD told me that I have 57.? Ah. Mine had the same reading until I took my car for the battery check today. Now it says I have 58.? Ah. Does this reading usually fluctuate or could the dealer have changed something when they did the battery check?

thew said:

Its in the Picture attached.. Look at the Bottom Corner of the Image its printed on the Card.. Just hit your Local AutoZone etc.. They may not have this one but they will have something.. Its really for a Radar or Ezpass unit.. But fits Great in the Wing window.

I just noticed that it uses Velcro. Is that what you used? The support feet on my LeafDD snapped off on day 1, so I use zip ties to hold my circuitboard in the 3D printed case. Found the part at my local Autozone tho, so will give it a try.

Publius said:
I picked up a LeafDD a couple weeks ago after someone showed me one at an auto show. His LeafDD told me that I have 57.? Ah. Mine had the same reading until I took my car for the battery check today. Now it says I have 58.? Ah. Does this reading usually fluctuate or could the dealer have changed something when they did the battery check?
Fluctuates some with temperature. But also possible they did the P3227 software change. Many have reported similar 4 to 6 week temporary increase in capacity after that. I'm still forgoing the change due to reports it adversely degrades regeneration.

lion said:
thew said:

I just noticed that it uses Velcro. Is that what you used? The support feet on my LeafDD snapped off on day 1, so I use zip ties to hold my circuitboard in the 3D printed case. Found the part at my local Autozone tho, so will give it a try.

I used some 3M super velcro on the rear PCB. It holds real well. The only trouble is that it is expensive. Home Depot sells a small assortment for $5 and my local electronic parts store sells it for $3 per foot as opposed to normal Velcro at less than $1 per foot.

I just looked at some and the official name is 3M Dual Lock.

Hi Greg,

On the first page of the LeafDD which displays voltage ticks (the 1st being 340) also indicates the charging
current (starting from the right) above the voltage ticks. Or is this, though, really instantaneous kW based on
this statement from the LeafDD guide?
"Above all of this is the instantaneous current draw (or charge) to the battery. Discharge grows from the left side,
charge grows from the right. The photo shows my 2012 charging at 3.3kW.".

So is the display indicating instantaneous charging current (amps) or instantaneous charging power (kW)?

The 1st tick appears to be offset from the right of the last possible right display segment which would be
330 if it were displayed. The charging current (or kW) appears to begin from this far right point. Given this,
what can one assume as the charging current (or power) between ticks? When charging my Leaf at 5kW,
the indication is about half way between the 330 (if it had a tick) and 340.

Thanks for your insight.

Found this mount by accident while checking out garage sales (50 cents), seems to work well, but do need to clean it up. It looks like the 3D printed case has warped due to heat, so between that and the broken supports, I'm going to have to come up with a new case (would love to come up with an aluminum version).

leafdd.jpg

3m Dual Lock would easily hold that in place without the ugly ty wraps. Sense it holds the PCB it does not matter about the case.

GlennD said:
3m Dual Lock would easily hold that in place without the ugly ty wraps. Sense it holds the PCB it does not matter about the case.
The ugly zipties are because the case is just sitting loose on the circuitboard, circuit support feet snapped off day 1. I do plan on getting rid of that once I have a nice mount/case.

Back