Leafers of Orange County, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody on the forum mentioned a good OC electrician, but I do not remember where or whom.

If you can find an honest, competent, reasonably priced electrician, I/we can easily teach him about L1 & L2 EVSEs.

Then, we can all use that person.
Just post details here, and I can/will call to check initial interest, if you want.

Really, we do not yet have the actual EVSEs, but we can easily get prepared for them.

Usually, a building permit is good for ... a year, I think.

Nothing here - I am also waiting... the stuff Leviton is coming out with looks good and I can install it myself.

Matt

You mean a good idea to:
1. train "our own" electrician,
2. help each other self-install, or
3. examine EVSEs to see if mods are possible?

If somebody with more $$ than I will help obtain a few EVSEs, I could look at them for these features:

1. plug-in use.
2. variable max-current settings.
3. dual-voltage (120/240) use.
4. reduction in size and weight.

The official goal would be to demonstrate just how easy it would be to make a safe, compact, universal, easily-movable EVSE device, that would only require an inexpensive infrastructure of sockets.

The first EVSEs would be:
1. Nissan "included" 120v USA L1
2. Nissan "included" Japanese (L2?)
3. Nissan included Euro "208/220/240v ?" L2
4. EV-Charge America EV2104 L2, 32a
5. Leviton L1
6. Leviton L2, 20a (16a draw)
7. Others

It would be helpful if somebody could research the related EV-charging, EVSE patents.

Then, a series of socket adapters would be needed if plug-in use (instead of hard-wired) is desired:
1. standard 120v 15a (8, 10, 12a draw)
2. 120v 20a circuit (12, 16a draw)
3. old 3-prong dryer (no ground, so replacing socket is recommended)
4. 4-prong dryer (240v 30a, draw 16, 24a)
5. RV socket (240v 40/50a, draw 16, 24, 32/40a)
6. two 120v used as 240v (12, 16a draw)
7. Euro/UK sockets (240v 16a, 12, 16a draw)

And several others ... the list not finished.

A "best" adapter, IMO, would plug into the socket, be easy to grab safely for use, and have zero pigtail (be all one rigid unit).
NOTE: Adapters with short pigtails might be necessary until rigid models are made, perhaps by Leviton some years from now.

garygid said:
You mean a good idea to:
1. train "our own" electrician,
2. help each other self-install, or
3. examine EVSEs to see if mods are possible?

If somebody with more $$ than I will help obtain a few EVSEs, I could look at them for these features:

All those are good ideas.

Don't look to me for any $$...I just found out we're down to 2 days a week at work for the foreseeable future. We could be living in our Leaf come winter! :shock:

Are there any easily purchased (here in the US) receptacles with a switch like they have in the UK ? Not sure if it is overkill, but one more level of safety. At many RV campgrounds the breaker is directly accessible near/next-to the socket; for safety it can be turned off before plugging/unplugging. Going to the expense of a Millbank (like RV park) is definitely overboard and defeats the purpose of a lower-cost plug-in theme.

I do not know of any, and those from a "Euro" source are unlikely to have UL "listing" for legal use in the USA.

But, I think having a "directly adjacent" switch is a wise thing to do.

A 240v 30a double-pole toggle switch (about $20) is made by Leviton. A 40-amp rating would be better. Wire that to an appropriate socket, switching OFF/ON both the HOT leads, could be a 2nd-best solution.

Perhaps "our" electrician will have a better answer.

The Leviton MS402 is a 40-amp, 600 volt rated toggle switch, but costs about $50.

One double-pole toggle switch included an LED indicator.

A rotary or lever switch might also be good.

I would be interested in pooling together for a possible group rate discount with an electrician in the OC area (I'm in Orange).

~Dave

garygid said:
Somebody on the forum mentioned a good OC electrician, but I do not remember where or whom.

Here's the guy I recommended, Gary.

He gave me a free quote to add a breaker to my panel, run some conduit, and a separate bid to upgrade my 100 A panel to a 200 A. The bid for the panel upgrade was very reasonable, hence my positive feelings toward him. He is the second generation owner of a family business. He's licensed and a seems to be a great guy.

Jason D. Wakefield Electric
714-883-5064

I still have his quote and I may wind up using him if we find a good EVSE and I dump AV. I'd be happy to be a contact for him, since he knows me slightly.

Phil

I made the contact and Jason seems to be a good guy.
See his contact info at
www.wakefieldelectric.com

In business since 1989, he trained under his father before that.

If you seriously want an honest job and are willing to pay a fair price for competent work, give him a call.

I will be helping him learn a few EV and PV things.

I enjoyed our talk, and hope we can give him some work.

I haven't reviewed the main threads yet so forgive me if this is old news, but I just noticed that the portal has been updated.

Now I'm getting a prominent "Home Charging Dock - Schedule Installation" notification. I haven't received an email alerting me either...

I'm really not looking forward to coughing up over 2G for this install, but I don't want to be behind the 8-ball when the car gets delivered and I don't have a L2 in place. Has anyone gotten closer to coming up with an alternative to Aerovironment?

z0ner said:
I haven't reviewed the main threads yet so forgive me if this is old news, but I just noticed that the portal has been updated.

Now I'm getting a prominent "Home Charging Dock - Schedule Installation" notification. I haven't received an email alerting me either...

I'm really not looking forward to coughing up over 2G for this install, but I don't want to be behind the 8-ball when the car gets delivered and I don't have a L2 in place. Has anyone gotten closer to coming up with an alternative to Aerovironment?
I plan to get the Leviton 16a 240v L2 charging dock. Website says available late 4th qtr 2010 and no price yet. This evse just needs a 20a 240v circuit with a NEMA 6-20R connector. Then you just plug it in. ANY electrician can install the required electric circuit in advance so you are ready to plug in. Adding the circuit should be fine to get the charging dock install tax credit.

I'm hoping my dashboard is open by then end of the month. I have a $1000 off agreement with a dealer, but I'm wondering if anyone in OC has gotten better than that with a local dealer. I get jealous seeing people in NorCal getting 5% off and then people in Washington/Oregon getting Invoice or close too it. If you have and you dont want to announce it, if you could PM me, that'd be great. Can't wait to finally order!

~Dave

Back