Lease Buyout NMAC Cash Back Offer for 2014 Models

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigkoi said:
I've a 2014 SL that is coming to the end of it's 2 year term. Average wholesale of a 2014 SL is around $14K. Does this mean I could purchase the car for $9.5K ($14k - $4.5k)?

Obviously there is a negotiation to be had with the dealer on the wholesale. I found other 14 SL Leafs in the area going for just above $14K.

Thanks

It's not based on wholesale value, it will be based on your residual value in your contract. Take a look at your original lease contract and see what the residual value is. Probably between $14K-17K or thereabouts.

NMAC has yet to negotiate on a residual. They seem perfectly happy to take the car back and then sell it wholesale for substantially less than an owner would offer to pay. It's been postulated that Nissan buys insurance on the residual values, although you'd think that that at this point such insurance would be mighty expensive...

LeftieBiker said:
NMAC has yet to negotiate on a residual. They seem perfectly happy to take the car back and then sell it wholesale for substantially less than an owner would offer to pay. It's been postulated that Nissan buys insurance on the residual values, although you'd think that that at this point such insurance would be mighty expensive...
I recall seeing a response either here or one one of the Leaf FB groups where the NMAC person responded about why they couldn't negotiate. Supposedly it's because they're not a dealer. (Think state dealer franchise preventing automakers from owning dealers along the lines of what Tesla has been running into.)

The dealership quoted a price of several thousand higher than other dealerships that had used 2014 SL's in the area. They did use the residual from the lease. He said that they could not negotiate. So i turned in the keys.

Back