Leave Climate Running?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowser

I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Is there a way to leave the climate control running while you run into a store? I frequently make short stops and would like the car to maintain its temperature while the sun is beating down on it. Especially if I have groceries in it. Range isn't an issue.

I could just leave the car running, but if I forget to lock the door someone could just drive off with it (I seriously can't believe it lets you exit park without the key, it would be such a simple software check).

Pressing the power butting twice will initialize the climate control, but not the AC.

Currently, I use the app on my phone to trigger the climate control the moment I turn off the car. However, this has some issues:

It's a pain in the ass.
It takes just enough time to be annoying.
It often just doesn't work.
It doesn't work if I don't have cell signal (which is often where I live).
It doesn't keep the car as cool as the normal AC.

But even if I could manually trigger the same mode the phone app does I'd be happy.

Anyone know how to do this? It seems like such an obvious feature.

LeftieBiker said:
The app is your best bet.

That sucks. It's ridiculous that you have to go through the cell networks to do something that should just be a button in the car.

I thought pressing the power button twice enabled the AC. I'm quite sure it does while quick-charging (in a 2012), but wasn't gone long enough to discern the only time I tried this without being plugged in. I'll take your word for it though and share in your outrage!

mbender said:
I thought pressing the power button twice enabled the AC. I'm quite sure it does while quick-charging (in a 2012), but wasn't gone long enough to discern the only time I tried this without being plugged in. I'll take your word for it though and share in your outrage!

It only turns on the AC while plugged in. No way to override. Not very helpful for my scenario.

johnrhansen said:
How about a steering wheel lock? Then you can just leave it in park with the brake set ac on and the door locked.

I think I might write an app that will turn the climate control on every 5 minutes, as long as the SOC is above a certain threshold. I can just leave it running 24/7 at home and it'll keep my Leaf nice and comfy.

Wasteful, but it would work.

You understand that the app will run the air conditioner with the car off? Better keep that battery charged!

The rules for the air conditioner are the same as for charging the 12 volt battery. It works any time the traction battery is enabled. That means car in Ready mode, or during charging. The remote climate control will also bring the battery on line in order to make the heat or cooling work.

gbarry42 said:
You understand that the app will run the air conditioner with the car off? Better keep that battery charged!

The rules for the air conditioner are the same as for charging the 12 volt battery. It works any time the traction battery is enabled. That means car in Ready mode, or during charging. The remote climate control will also bring the battery on line in order to make the heat or cooling work.

Yea, when the car is off. But only if the SOC is greater than 60% or something user configurable.

WHITELEAFLINY said:
if you leave the car running.lock the doors. take key fob with
you,and some body breaks into your car the alarm will go off.
Doesn't the car shut off if you get far enough away from it with the key fob? Or does it stay on and just not let you change it out of park?

BrockWI said:
Doesn't the car shut off if you get far enough away from it with the key fob? Or does it stay on and just not let you change it out of park?
No, it has been reported that you can drive the car fine without the fob if it is already on ("Ready"). This has happened when a passenger gets out and takes the fob with him/her. Then when the car is later turned off it can't be restarted, for obvious reasons.

Try it!

Viper Alarms with Auto Start offer this (I have a viper alarm that offers this on my van)

I park the car, press auto start on the fob which allows me to take the keys out and lock the car while the heat/ac is running.

Also as an added benefit if the brake pedal is touched it goes off.

Bowser said:
WHITELEAFLINY said:
dont forget to lock the door.

I'd rather not leave my car in a state where someone just needs to get inside to drive away with it.

At least they can't go far............................. :roll: :roll:

I confess I leave the car "running" when it is really hot.

There should be another way.

Back