Leviton Evr-Green 160 Now Available for Pre-Order

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed on the same page the Leviton Evr-Green Portable Charger, Level 1, EVC11-300. Imagine that, a portable L1 charger for only $950! :lol:

Received the email too, about time!!!
If you subtract the 50% tax credit it would only cost $524.99 which is a good price for a semi portable EVSE. Assumng this qualifies for that rebate, I don't know why it wouldn't though. I more than likely would purchase it.

Update; just checked the tax credit and it turns out its only 30% so it would cost $734.99, still decent.

marccbr said:
Update; just checked the tax credit and it turns out its only 30% so it would cost $734.99, still decent.

Not for a 3.8kW charger; I was really hoping Leviton would at least come in under the SPX, especially considering there's no "upgrade" path to 6.6kW. Very disappointed.

I am disappointed too

Too much money for what you get

Maybe a leviton dealer will sell it for less?

Even so the spx at $749 is more capable

These companies will figure out fast that we won't just take these things t any price

I think AV has had a taste of that

I agree that this is much more than I was expecting it to cost. The SPX 16A charger is said to cost $490, and the Schneider / Square D 32A charger can be had for $750 or $800, which is more comparable to the Leviton 320. I was expecting the combination of the Leviton 160 + pre-install kit to come in around $600 or less. The price on the Leviton store is nearly double that ($1050 + $80 = $1,130). I wouldn't have had the pre-install kit put in if I'd known the pricing on the evr-green 160 would be this high. Hopefully Leviton will get over their problems (whatever they've been) and competition will start bringing the prices down to more reasonable levels for EV chargers...

- Bob

At over $1k and only 3.8kw capacity this product is DOA

Some here may as well ask/tell Leviton mgmt the truth.

sooner they hear it the faster they can fix the pricing and actually sell some of these products
instead of it just looking cool on their website

kmp647 said:
At over $1k and only 3.8kw capacity this product is DOA

sooner they hear it the faster they can fix the pricing and actually sell some of these products

The only thing I can figure is Leviton's marketing folks were "asleep at the wheel".

The only thing Leviton has going for it on the 160 is the well trusted name from a large well known company. I see this as brand name premium pricing.

Actually, if they can't manufacture these except at some very low yield, then this is a very clever way to get people off their back, and end the embarrassing string of delays that's turned this product into a PR nightmare. This way, they at least nominally have "released" the product, no longer need to answer questions about when it's coming out or why it's late, but they still don't have to worry about having to deliver more than a very small number of chargers. If I was a manufacturing manager, and had not been able to solve a yield problem after a half year of trying, I would probably do the same thing. I think that's the only explanation that makes sense; I'd be willing to bet they don't WANT to sell very many until they can actually deliver in volume. Otherwise, why would Leviton, who is the largest manufacturer of electrical equipment in North America, be able to be scooped by dinky little companies one thousandth of their size, on price, time to market, and quantity shipped.
If they ever fix their problems, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price eventually fall into line with other chargers - it doesn't look like it has any features that should make it inherently twice the price to manufacture. But for people who want to buy a charger now, it's obviously not a very good choice at this time.

- Bob

Have you ever looked inside one of these EVSE's? Trust me: there's nothing in there that would create manufacturing difficulties or low yields. We're just at the beginning of a product cycle.

Stanton said:
Have you ever looked inside one of these EVSE's? Trust me: there's nothing in there that would create manufacturing difficulties or low yields. We're just at the beginning of a product cycle.

If it was so easy, I would have assumed they could have come out with the product 6 months ago, on their original schedule. But maybe the difficulties had to do with other code or UL approval issues. Certainly many of the EVSE's are very simple inside. However, this one also includes interfaces for optional wireless 802.11n and Zigbee Smart Grid 2.0 interface boards that can be added. I believe these are not present in most of the other EVSE's for sale; they could have pushed out the development schedule, or if the components are not commonly used elsewhere, they could still be holding up production.

Back