Local Building Department Overkill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeolus

[/img]
IMG_20111003_071558.jpg
[/img]

Electricity is scary!

240 is really scary!

So my local building department required an additional disconnect switch directly adjacent to my EVSE. After all, the main panel is twelve (12) feet away from the AV unit.

My electrician patiently explained that the AV unit was hard-wired, met UL listing requirements under NEC, was basically designed as a safety device that would not energize unless it received a signal from the vehicle, et cetera.

Building department called back to affirm that they wouldn't approve without a dedicated disconnect.

And of course in the world of the petty tyrants who end up as being building inspectors, it is less expensive to comply than to argue.

I guess you would need one for a dryer and electric water heater, all which do not have a GFI inside. As stupid as stupid gets.

smkettner said:
Although an air conditioner needs a service disconnect..... what is the difference?

Thats so service personal can kill the power to it, and not mess with circuit breakers that are not visible from the unit. AC compessors disconnects are for servicability only.

Wow, how much extra $$ did that add to your EVSE install ?

As I see you have the AV unit but mention 'your electrician' assume that you bought it separately and used your own electrical contractor?

I guess we don't know how fortunate some of us are by not being overly regulated -- don't even need a permit here (simple circuit addition within the capacity of your box doesn't require one) and due to budget cuts some NW 'burbs of Chicago have cut out their inspectors so much that only major home renovations, etc. require one -- which of course will delay the whole process at the exact time you'll need it!

But don't you feel safer now !! :roll:

So a hardwired item(a/c & evse) requires a disconnect and plug in item (dryer) does not. Makes sense to me.
Either way the item needs to 'unplug'. I think I would rather have a plug in evse.

Wow, how much extra $$ did that add to your EVSE install ?

As I see you have the AV unit but mention 'your electrician' assume that you bought it separately and used your own electrical contractor?

Yes, I bought my own AV unit on Ebay for $641 including shipping. Installation was quoted at $450, but in the context of a much larger job to upgrade my electrical panel from 100 A to 200A, which I need to do to install a solar PV system. This also involves installing a 3 " conduit in an 85 foot trench 3 feet deep under a block wall into my neighbor's yard so that SCE can pull a new higher capacity service line to my new panel.

The extra disconnect box adds about $100 in time and materials, but takes up wall space that was going to be used to hang a bike.

The good news is that everything qualifies for a 30% tax credit that we can use this year.

Between the new roof I'm having installed at the same time as my PV system, I have become a job creator.

It seems to vary all over how disconnects are handled. My city didn't require a disconnect, however required a "lock-out" on the breaker since it isn't within visual range of the EVSE. The next city over requires a disconnect next to the EVSE if it isn't within visual range of the main breaker...

Back