Looks like this electric car thing might actually happen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/looks-like-this-electric-car-thing-might-actually-happen/

"Saturday, May 29
Posted: 12 pm ET
I've been writing about the economic viability of electric cars lately. I've wondered whether Americans will accept cars with substantially shorter range than conventional cars, and whether the infrastructure needed to support electric cars would ever become a national reality.

I've hoped the answer is yes, because there are a lot of things I like about electric cars -- they represent a chance to finally get U.S. carbon emissions under control, don't require as much maintenance and don't have as many messy fluids and lubricants. That's why I'm excited to see players in the automotive industry making big bets on the technology's real-world viability.

In December, Nissan plans to begin delivering their all-electric LEAF hatchback to some of the 20,000 customers who have placed pre-orders since April. Nissan and Renault president Carlos Ghosn said in an interview this week he expects sales of his company's electric cars to reach 500,000 by 2013. The company just broke ground on a new $1.7 billion factory in Tennessee to produce battery packs for the vehicles, a huge investment even for a multinational giant like Nissan."

Back