Losing Dash Displays in Tunnels....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeloV

We've been having our Dash Displays go completely Black when we enter tunnels, kinda freakin' us out 'cause we think the car has crapped-out on us. It still runs, but is unsettling at highway speeds in a dark place....

Display returns when we emerge into light.

Anyone else?

BTW, this seems to be after the recent recall software 'enhancements'

thanks,
Ross

Perhaps your headlights come on and you have your display dimmer adjusted to a very dark setting.

I haven't noticed this, but I have a 2013. Not sure if the same software "enhancement" is available on mine or not.

Do you notice this when you turn on the headlights?

How about in other scenarios where the auto-dimming backlight kicks in?

There are separate brightness settings for day and night. I noticed my brightness settings were changed or reset during the software update. I suspect your night setting changed to the dimmest setting which would appear completely off. I also had to reset timer and CarWings notifications after the software update so I suggest you check those also.

Gerry

Thanks gang,
The tunnel was too short and lanes too narrow for me to experiment and twiddle in the dark while driving.
I'll check my brightness setting(s) etc and see what I can find.
R

I run with the LED lights on low beam all the time since the US LEAF doesn't have daytime running lights. This happens to me a lot when waiting for a light sitting under the Interstate bridge or as you have observed in a tunnel. The dimming circuit must always be active, and activates to dim the interior lights when it gets dark. Just use the manual dimming adjustment to bring them back to full bright.

TimLee said:
I run with the LED lights on low beam all the time since the US LEAF doesn't have daytime running lights. This happens to me a lot when waiting for a light sitting under the Interstate bridge or as you have observed in a tunnel. The dimming circuit must always be active, and activates to dim the interior lights when it gets dark. Just use the manual dimming adjustment to bring them back to full bright.

Why not install some low profile LED daytime running lights? It would drive me crazy to have to turn up the brightness so the displays are readable during the day, but having to turn them down again at night so it doesn't blind you.

RonDawg said:
Why not install some low profile LED daytime running lights? It would drive me crazy to have to turn up the brightness so the displays are readable during the day, but having to turn them down again at night so it doesn't blind you.
So little time, so many things to do. Need to install the seat extender brackets first, then get around to changing the horn, swap out to LEDs on non-LED bulbs, and then might consider adding daytime running lights.
But the low beam LED headlights make great daytime running lights, only real drawback is having taillights lit.
Don't really end up having to mess with the dash brightness much though. I don't drive a lot at night. If they dim under a bridge or tunnel, I don't bother with messing with it. It brightens back up quickly within a second or so once you get back into the sun.

Back